title screen help

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by -, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

ok I have been trying to restore the original title screen art for sonic in my hack and by that I mean this

[​IMG]

one of my old hacks btw.

but ever since I replaced it with the sonic 2 art for sonic for the title screen and every time i try to restore it back to the original, I always get these two error when ever I try to build it and it has been going on for a while now.

[​IMG]

if there's anybody that can help me out on this at all please let me know, I really want to fix these godforsaken two errors. (excuse me if I sound like im pissed). the two main files that I keep on trying to replace in my diassembly is OBJ0E.ASM and TITLESON.BIN

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

Wait huh?! Sonic 2 art? Dude, you have the original art. You just changed the palettes to red and black for some reason. :p

Just change it back to the original palettes or get the original from a clean disassembly.

Oh god, not you too. XD

Are you serious dude? There just two out of range errors. There super easy to fix. Probably the easiest thing to fix in sonic hacking. Just go to the line where the error is. (I assume you know how to do this.) And fix away! :)

Just read Selbi's "Basic Error Fixing Guide" it will help you fix these type of errors. It just requires a bit of brain power. lol!

And please, try harder next time... :)

3. Guest

I will try that sometime hopefully it will work out for me in looking at it. also if you are confused about what I ment on the sonic 2 art, I ment this type.

[​IMG]

hopefully this will fix your confusion.

4. SpriterIceman

SpriterIceman Who still uses Iaza Member

I may not know anything about hacking, but I think its more of a palette problem of changing the 3 shades of red back to blue? Does it also look like this in green hill zone?

5. c1owd

Actually no, you made me more confused. ^^'

So, let me get this straight. You have a title screen with Sonic from Sonic 2 right? And you want to change it back to the original title screen from Sonic 1 right? (Palettes, art, music, etc.)

6. Guest

yeah but every time I try to do that, those two same erros that was shown always come up everytime I tried to restore it.

7. IWasAPerson

IWasAPerson Part Of This Complete Breakfast Member

Did you replace all of the files that you used for the s2 title screen with the originals? (the obj0E mapping files and the titleson.bin from a clean disassembly)? Make sure there's no files that are still meant for the s2 title Sonic (although it is just those two files and the animations), and see if that's the problem.

If not, chances are you still haven't read Selbi's Error fixing guide since these are two branch errors that are heavily covered in the guide. If you haven't, do you mind posting what lines the errors are referring to?

Though its unrelated, you should really think about converting your disassembly from snasm68k to ASM68k so you don't have to use s1comb.asm. And it's build times are faster. There's a guide on the Sonicretro hacking guide for it. Just saying, but still...

8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Simple answer:

s1comb.asm<6343>

s1comb.asm<6356>

That's what's on the list of errors, so open "s1comb.asm", and goto line 6343.

You'll see either a "bra.s", a "bra.w", a "bsr.s", or a "bsr.w" command, now open "sonic1.asm" and find the exact same routine but in "sonic1.asm".

When you find it, do this...

-> If it's "bra.s" or "bsr.s", change the ".s" to a ".w"

-> If it's "bra.w", change it to a "jmp"

-> If it's "bsr.w", change it to a "jsr"

The error is now fixed.

If however it's a different kind of branch command (i.e. bcc, bcs, bmi, blt, bpl, bgt, bhi, etc, etc) then you'll need to do a bit of faf-arsing about to correct it, though these two errors you have sound familiar and iirc they are bsr or bra, so you should be ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2010
  9. c1owd

^ Basically what I said... Except that post was way more detailed. =P

10. Guest

well thanks for the help on that. I might be able to fix it now. you don't have to worry about me now since I know what to do. big thanks to both markey and carrascoZX0 on this really :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.