Getting the PSB Message back in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Tutorials Archive' started by theocas, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theocas

theocas #! Member

I wrote this guide for my site awhile ago, and since I didn't see anything on here I decided I might just post it. The entire thing with explanation (try that before telling me sometning's wrong) is here, but below is a shorted version of it. Since this is my first tutorial I've posted here, please tell me what doesn't work so I can fix it.

Let's get started!

First of all, find this code in sonic1.asm:

moveq #0,d0
    move.w #7,d1

Title_ClrObjRam2:

move.l d0,(a1)+

dbf d1,Title_ClrObjRam2

move.b #$E,($FFFFD040).w ; load big Sonic object

What is the issue? The Sonic Team Presents screen screws around in Object RAM, but it isn't all cleared. thus hiding the Press Start Button Message. To show it again, all you need to do is to clear the Object RAM a bit more. So replace what I just told you to find with this:

lea ($FFFFD080).w,a1

jsr DeleteObject2 ;clear object RAM more thoroughly

move.b #$E,($FFFFD040).w ; load big Sonic object

If you did everything right and built your ROM, wait for the Title Screen and voila! You will have a perfectly working PSB object. Hope this helped someone that wanted this message back. Note that if you don't need it, you can delete about 10 8x8 tiles in the title screen art file, and those can be used for a custom Copyright text or something else.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
  2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

3. shobiz

shobiz Well-Known Member Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2010
  4. theocas

theocas #! Member

I just wrote it here since I didn't see it on SSRG yet. I'm just trying to make the life easier for some assturds.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2011
  5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Selbi doesn't seem pissed off to me, infact you seem more pissed off than he does. Thanks for providing it here anyway.

6. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

If I was pissed off, I would've said: "Are you fucking blind? It's already on Retro." Did I say that? No. I'm more pissed off the fact you thought I was pissed off, than the fact this guide already exists. =P

7. theocas

theocas #! Member

I'm just trying to avoid blind assfucks to make a topic for this. They would just read this and leave us alone with their n00bish comments. Sorry for saying that Selbi, it seemed like you were pissed to me.

8. RetroX

RetroX Active Member Member

Good code, however whenever the demo finishes and the "SONIC TEAM PRESENTS" loads again, it has a white square on the text. (1st time works perfect)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.