Sonic 1 Blank Level Template

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by SamplingMastersNix, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamplingMastersNix

SamplingMastersNix 64-bit Sonic Hacking Novice Member

I need to get this off my chest. Can anyone make an .zip folder containing a blank Sonic 1 level template? With (almost) blank .bin files for the collisions, tile art, block and chunk listings, and everything else needed for beginners to make Sonic 1 levels from scratch. I'm through with my attempts to make .bin files through FS Util and hex editors. I'm trying to make a hack with little work as possible. True, ROM Modifications are not as simple as a mere click, but if I learned how to make a hack years ago, I wouldn't have this urge to find ways to make hack buliding easier. And, I still want to make it easier. Yet, I don't want to keep juggling tools around in order to make a level. I'd rather have a universal tool that can do the whole shebang, but we won't get started on it if we keep talking about it.

Anyway, if someone is willing to donate a .zip archive, containing the essential data needed to make a Sonic 1 level, I will put your name in the credits of my upcoming release of Sonic 1: Nixed Edition. I'm sorry about the slight tangent, that was my lazy side.

2. theocas

theocas #! Member

Uh.... Just delete the art files, mapping and collision files for the zone, open the project in SonEd2, and save. And now you have a blank level.

3. SamplingMastersNix

SamplingMastersNix 64-bit Sonic Hacking Novice Member

Yes, but what am I supposed to delete?

8x8 Tiles?

16x16 Tiles?

256x256 Tiles?

FG Layout?

BG Layout?

Angle Array?

Collision Array?

Rotated Collision Array?

Collision Index?

To create a blank level, which of these do I need to get rid of?

Edit: I now know what they were:

8x8 Tiles

16x16 Tiles

256x256 Tiles

FG Layout

BG Layout

Collision Index

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2010
  4. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Delete everything but the collision array/Sonic tails palette, etc, stuff that's engine only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.