My Dream Hack Beta.

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by wonderfulwardy, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonderfulwardy

wonderfulwardy Active Member Exiled

Here is my Hack of Sonic 1.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=562L2PPY

It's in very beta form but can still be completed unlike many other hacks.

Full ASM & Programming credit (at the moment) goes to Psychosk8ter for all his great work.

Level Layouts are credited by me (wonderfulwardy).

Please bare in mind that this hack is NOT FINAL. There will be certain parts of the layouts corrected in the future, some minor, some major.

More ASM work will be added overtime from many talented ASM coders.

My plan for this hack is to keep it as close to Vanilla Sonic 1 as possible, changing the layouts ever so slightly to work around the added move sets of characters.

As of now Sonic is only playable and for some reason he has Sonic 2's frames, looks darker and walks funny on slopes. Not my idea and decided upon from Psychosk8ter but I plan on getting this fixed, corrected and back to the original Sonic 1 style. There appently is SRAM in the game but is buggy and don't work quite well, you'd be best to leave that alone.

Now for the good stuff.

A new emerald TV is availible (3x only placed in Green Hill 1 & 2 atm). Breaking one open makes the big ring appear at end of stage instead of getting 50 rings.

Sonic unlocks a new ability with every emerald collected.

1 = Spin Dash

2 = nothing at moment (Peelout planned)

3 = Wavedash

4 = Homing Attack

5 = Nothing (Light Speed Dash Planned - hopefully thanks and credit will go to Selbi)

6 = Super Sonic

All Level names are changed to use same first letter (simular to Sonic 3D & Sonic CD).

Green Garden, Flaming Fortress, Spring Stadium, Lost Labyrinth, Star Sattilite, Scrap Sage, Final Fight (credit for last name goes to Sonic Megamix)

Last but not least. Get Sonic hit by Fire or by the electric buzzers in Scrap Brain for a special suprise. :D

You can give 95% of this credit to the awesome Psychosk8ter. Me (wonderfulwardy) am just the guy who visualizes these ideas, makes the layouts (please don't bitch, they are far from final), and plans to pay anyone who contributes to this project.

Final messege, this will bloody get finished one day, Mark My Words!!! :p

EDIT:- to gain all emeralds, use level select then play tunes 0,1,1,0. This is the only way to try out all added abilities as there is not enough emerald moniters to get into bonus stages and getting 50ring no longer works.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

(Constructive criticism in a later post.)

Why am I starting in Star Light Zone?

3. wonderfulwardy

SRAM bullshit. sorry Psychosk8ter but this stuff needs to go, well unless someone can impliment a Sonic 3 style SRam. lol

just use level select and code to unlock all abilities mate.

I want peoples verdict on it. bare in mind that Psychosk8ter isn't an experienced hacker (sorry geezer) and I haven't done much work on the layouts because I want to moves in a perfect rom so I can work around them in my design.

Sorry Selbi and others but your gonna find a buggy game right now. Oh, I forgot to mention that Tails is availible on player select. not that i'd reccommend him. lol

EDIT:- Also, please let me know what I should do...

Scrap it and start over with more experienced ASM coders? or use some of the matirials I got and have the code cleaned up?

Like I said, I want vanilla Sonic 1 with all the good stuff I like in this hack, even if it's minor stuff. TBH, I am abit annoyed that most of this code was ported from Psy's 30 day project including stuff I didn't even want in there such as Sonic 2 style pallete that walks strange, buggy SRAM & poorly implimented Tails.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
  4. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r HighKnights Member

I've already fixed the SLZ start in a more recent build, and will be changing back to S1 sonic's art soon enough, gonna have to sort out super sonic art though, and add it to S1 sonic's art.

Also note, I am only the programmer, just following guidelines. What goes into this is all wonderfulwardy's idea.

Keep your eyes open for an update to 30 day project this summer, to play my newer ideas. [/shameless-plug] =P

5. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

This hack need improvement, is very poor :p

Anyway, I like the idea, to unlock movements when collecting emeralds :D

(Hey, the money is really need here? come on, just share. Well, I'm just saying...) <-- read this :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011
  6. wonderfulwardy

Thanks for your kind words of encouragment! :D lol

Nothing special but thanks anyway. I could have sworn that Megamix was to have this feature.

Wish it was that easy lol, and I agree to some extent that people should share their work, but I also half side with tweaker when I read his rant in the past regarding open source years ago. I laughed, I cried, I thought 'what a complete douche', but I also understood exactly what he ment when he said that "if everything was open source to everyone, it'll be like the 'Super Mario World Central' Hacking community.... boring, samey, and nothing excitingly new and interesting to come from it", and I make him right.

I understand the shit it would cause on the community if source code got into the wrong hands and was leaked everywhere. People on here don't know me well but I am gonna say it now. I never intend to damage this community and will never have any intentions myself to do such a thing. I just want my own personal best dream Sonic game and to get it requires a little sharing.

So yea, I am inbetween. I believe talented individuals like 'MarkeyJester' should share project ideas with people like 'Aquaslash', 'Stealth', and other talented artists in order to get the job done, finish complete hacks, and make some of the best projects ever. An example of this is 'Sonic Megamix' including 'Chissiou's' achiement system, 'Markey's' Overworld from Brother Trouble, Playable Amy from the hack 'Amy in Sonic 1' (don't know the name of the guy who made it), but you get where this is going.

If these guys don't understand this kind of possibility, I'm gonna do my best to try and convince them somehow, someway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011
  7. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

actually if you never noticed how to do that, he probably have used this tutorial here in which you can do the same if you wanted to:

http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1118

on topic now, the hack is not bad at all for the first zone. in fact I actually like some of the level layouts for green garden zone and you are like the 5th person now that I have seen that was able to port the s2 animations into sonic 1. although this is a beta release, I will be keeping an eye on what this hack has in store for us.

8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

E-122-Psi

I'm going to give criticism because well, that's what these forums are generally for, criticism/opinions. Let's see if I can word this correctly without sounding too nasty but at the same time gets to the point.

Your hack, is hackish, very hackish, by that I mean I have trouble enjoying it because of the way it's directed, not necessarily the ideas but mainly down to how it's been done (the current outcome), the layouts as an example seem to reminiscent of the original title a lot, having that feeling that I'm playing "Sonic 1 few changes edition" really doesn't excite me, of course, the parts that are changed, some seem fine, but quite a few seem to come accross as a psychological mess, this ruins the flow of the level and often makes me feel irritated.

The problem here is that the individuals who have shown a "lot" of intelligence towards megadrive game programming are mainly ones who polish off their work by; cleaning it up, correcting errors, making sure it flows well enough, giving it a unique sense of style in both organisation and well fitting design, basically just providing the illusion of a brilliant game that's playable and enjoyable. Your hack lacks this currently, which is why those individuals aren't too convinced.

There's not really anything else I can say other than it has a long way to go. I suppose a well done for making a start on a project will encourage you towards directing it a more professional and clean way that we can all remember as a very fun and unique hack/game.

9. wonderfulwardy

MARKEY:- It is a Demo/Beta mate. I did mention this and the fact that I haven't done my best to work on the layouts due to the code being very untidy and not having all of the abilities to work around at the helm as of yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  10. wonderfulwardy

Ok, a small update,... kinda!

To test out all the abilities, you'll need all of the Chaos Emeralds collected.

No emerald TV's are found in this build so it is virtually impossible to trigger the big ring to appear.

If your using Kega Fusion, put this code into the 'Game Genie / PAR':- FFFE57:0006

I managed to talk to Psychosk8ter a few hours ago and he's been cleaning up my hack all day.

Before he left Facebook Chat at 1:00am this early morning, he gave me another beta build to mess around with.

He also implimented Selbi's 'Light Speed Dash' into the hack so Selbi's help in this regard is no longer required, but thanks anyway Selbi.

Now, after playing through the new build three times in a row, I found a few more bugs and problems that I need sorted. Some of these are Psychosk8ers job, but other bugs I encounted mostly involve the 'Light Speed Dash' move, which I'd like to ask Selbi personally to fix. I'll even throw in an extra £15 to him if he can sort it out. I heard from Psychosk8ter that this could require some difficult programming input on Selbi's part.

Heres the latest build of the rom that's been released with original S1 layouts this time. (I gathered that it's not worth showing off custom layouts that are a work-in-progress).

Everyone feel free to test this out for yourselves and witness these mentioned bugs I've listed below.

If you happen to stumble across anything else (bug-wise) that you feel should be mentioned, please do not hesitate to do just that! We'll then gather up what needs to be done or not.

Here's the build:- http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JYTNKMBP

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the list of bugs I found:- (RED will require Psy's input, ORANGE will require Selbi's input)

1.) Levels are displayed in the incorrect order on the level select screen.

2.) 'Star Satellite' is incorrectly labeled 'Sparkling Star' (the old idea I once had) on the level select screen.

3.) Normal Sonic shouldn't have the ability to Wave Dash up. (In other words, double jump).

4.) Super Sonic must not activate (Super Sonic Tranformationation) when holding a direction (up seems to work) and double jumping. (To trigger him to transform the correct way should require a double jump while no direction is pressed / held as the second button is pushed).

5.) There is a terrible glitch when dying from fire objects. I have a feeling that the special 'Death Animations' that Psychosk8ter created for my awesome idea have accidently been removed in this build but I can't say for sure. It would make sense though because 'the walking death bug' is triggered when hitting the electric buzzers in Scrap Sage and you suposed to see an electrified Sonic.

6.) The Light Speed Dash move can sometimes get stuck in solid walls and certain objects such as the 'MZ Block' and 'GHZ Rock' on Act 3 under the waterfall before the breakable walls where the two buzzerbombers assault you. I have a feeling though it's a problem that consists with the next few mentioned bugs below.

7.) I don't like the fact that the Light Speed Dash can trigger a good distance away from any given ring. The distance needs to be shorten imensely. Imagen you can see a ring then two more next to it... that's the lenth I'm looking for.

8.) Light Speed Dash can react a little too crazy at times. It seems to have a mind of it's own. I would like to see it corrected so that it's homing capabilities will be focused on the ring that is most closest to Sonic. That way, will get smooth 'LSD' and not the trippin' kind. [​IMG]

9.) The 'Homing Attack' ability suffers from the same thing mentioned above. It needs to be focused on the nearest enemy / Moniter rather then have a mind of it's own.

10.) The 'Homing Attack' is planned to be spammable in one Jump (simular to Sonic 4) but don't worry... it will eventually cost 5 rings per use. At this present time, it works for multiple enemies but Unfortunatly for some weird reason, it doesn't want to work with moniters and once you've broken one using the 'Homing Attack;, you cannot seem to bounce off and use it again on either enemy / moniter until you land and jump again.

11.) Not really a bug but more of a small request for Psychosk8ter. Please can you give the 'Homing Attack' the awesome 'blur effect' you created, which is currently used for the 'Light Speed Dash'. I want it for both those moves.

12.) The 'Homing Attack' needs to trigger at a slightly less distance then usual.

13.) If you grab the 'Invincibility Stars' Moniter, then use the 'Light Speed Dash' move, you'll strangely lose the 'TV's ability' as you come out of the 'Light Speed Dash' move and the 'Invincibility Music' will loop forever.

14.) 'Scrap Brain' music seems to be playing in 'Final Fight' Zone.

15.) Super Sonic is totally messed up compared to the previous build but I know why.... 'Sonic 2 style' character sprites was in the previous hack and seemed to use too many frames that messed up Sonic's walking animation. I've urge Psychosk8ter to revert back to 'Sonic 1 style' sprites but now he's got problems with Super Sonic's sprites not matching up. Looks like he's got a job to do. Last thing we want to see is a 'Spengler-walking Sonic'.

16.) Now, this is the biggest one for Selbi and probably going to cause the most trouble. Hopefully Psychosk8ter can inform us further about it, seeing as he knows what the real problem is. All I know is that I wanted the animated sprites (think there is two) of 'Full-Speed Running Super Sonic' but in blue pallete to trigger whenever the 'Light Speed Dash' is in action. Selbi mentioned that he was no good at creating art, and Psychosk8ter had a go at it. He then said that it works perfectly while triggered in the air. However, if triggered on the ground (or Sonic touches the ground), he reverts back to his walking animation. I didn't get to see this in action so I can't express the full details but hopefully Psychosk8ter could fill us in. He also said it would require some extensive programming on Selbi's part to make it keep the 'Super Sonic animation going if you happen to touch the ground while the move is taking place. (Kind of like floating on air). Unfortunatly, due to this problem... I believe Psychosk8ter removed the ability to use the move on the ground for now. Let's hope it doesn't have to stay this way forever.

Finally, I hope to hear from both of you shortly.

11. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

The previous build with layouts being minor, I almost didn't seem the point, because they were so minor so it was a wise move on putting the originals back in the new build. Also, its nice getting builds of hacks, especialy ones that are very promissing, (Sonic megamix,s1brotro,Sfactor,s2retro remix etc) though I don't think you need to give us builds continously at this current stage.

It seems like progress is good on your end, and its nice to give a progress report. But I think wait a bit until more things are done, like new proper layouts, your asm features properly fixed and everything. At the moment, I'm getting a sence of megamix, what with the homing attack and the obvious light speed dash. But I say more LSD, because I read you are trying to do super sonic sprites for it like megamix.

Now for you i'm sure its great because the hack you want is getting developed, but personally I don't like the direction its going. Not just because some asm things are like megamix, but I feel their are a mixture of ideas that have been done before, and well I like to see more original stuff. Even if its really simple, more original ideas would change my judgement. Anyways thats just my constructive criticism.

12. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I'll talk to you via PM again so we can sort the orange problems out as quick as possible. =)

13. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Honestly, I was feeling like playing a normal Sonic 1. Just it. Except for the glitch I noticed when Sonic died for the first time in Marble Zone. I hope to see more in the next updates.

14. FireRat

hmm, I have a suggestion. Because on this and other hacks, there's levels with just a few modifications in the plane, you can delete the plane file, and start a complete plane by yourself...

I'm working on my hack with this form

Oh, and sorry my bad english XD

15. wonderfulwardy

Thank you animemaster

Sorry you feel this way, but you would at first. Right now, it seems like you are getting Original mode of Megamix but in time you will see more added features.

haha, believe me, I have many interesting ideas. Some from Megamix as a base, some from other hacks yes (not trying to copy or rip off intentilly, but these hacks inspired me in the sense of ideas requred to make the best Sonic hack), but I DO HAVE a slew of original ideas and content that will be coming if people happen to develop it, but I ain't sharing those ideas at this time. Personallly right now, I'm getting the ovious out the way which is Megamix Ideas. (Again, not intentilly coping but that game has some insperation to it as you may know).

Did you use Kega and input the cheat to obtain all Emeralds giving you access to Sonic's new movesets?

Can anyone else explain to me what this means? It's not bad english, I just don't understand what a Plain file is.

I'd be happy to. Just going to get my shit together, contact Psy to get the disembly. (He only gave me the rom last night), then I'll get back to you.

16. FireRat

Just delete levels\<plane file>

and objpos\<object positions file>

And, create your own levels with SonED (I use version 1.03)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.