S1 TV Moniters Infomation

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by wonderfulwardy, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonderfulwardy

wonderfulwardy Active Member Exiled

Hi, sorry if this topic belongs in another part of the forum.

I am essentially hating on the Moniter TV's that are in Sonic The Hedgehog 1 for a good reason and need help.

First is that when creating layouts, I plan to make more secret stuff to collect within the level and other then rings, TV's are a good solution but for some reason, when I place too many of them within a single act, some of them appear to already be broken when arriving at their location. Why is this? I heard from Psychosk8er that it's a limitation with the Sonic 1 code, but is this really the case? Can it be sorted out with bug fixing or could I rectify this annoyance altogether if I have the code of S3K moniters implimented into my hack?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  2. bareirito

bareirito Well-Known Member Member

Maybe you have placed the '9' monitor subobject by accident in SonED2, which is a blank monitor. This is an obvious answer, but it could be a posibility.

3. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

The problem is the size of the destroyable object status table, it's 384 (180 in hex) bytes long. The only way to have more objects and no problem is to extend that status table. The problem is the available ram space, you'll need to free some space somewhere and move your object status table there, with all the necessary changes (or move whats before or after it and change things accordingly as well, but that would probably cause even more troubles).

4. wonderfulwardy

Damn, this is a real shame. your saying that I can't even have more TV Moniters if I use the Sonic 3K coding of the moniters?

5. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Its not just the monitor code, even if you did port the monitor code from s3k, you still have to convert the code, and you still need to find more space to extend the amount of monitors you can have in a level.

6. wonderfulwardy

So I take it 'Sonic Megamix' did this? There seems to be so many Moniters in their level layouts.

Also, what is the full ammount of moniters I can have in a single act?

Does it vary depending on how big the level is?

Do rings have this same problem too?

I want to know as much details as possible so I can be prepared for it when creating the levels.

Also, I found out that even in the original GHZ layouts, there seems to be more then the required amount as I've onced ran around (think it was on act 3) and collected every moniter only to find some already broken.

Other programming ideas I'm interest in are things like save features on Moniters.

What I mean by this is, say you break a certain type of moniter (most preferbly the Emerald Moniter) then go back to a level... is it possible to program it to already be collected/broken?

If this sounds confusing as to what it is I'm after, imagen the Emeralds you collect on Sonic 2: Retro Remix... I've always imagene that once collected and re-entering a level, the emerald should be gone but even Thorn hasn't done this yet so was wondering if it was even possible.

My idea in case you would like to know, would involve a special Emblem TV in the future (like the yellow tags you collect on 'Sonic Pocket Adventure' for Neo Geo Pocket).

Collect a set amount to unlock various extras. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.