No Sound for spindash

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Cozzio, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cozzio

Cozzio Newcomer In Limbo

Ok I did it and got this error not really an error but here:

/monthly_07_2011/post-1633-1311524418_thumb.jpg

Attached Files:

2. M3k

M3k h4x Member

Hm. Not sure why that happens...

Try moving your disassembly folder to the C:\ folder. ASM68K has troubles building when you place it inside many folders.

But again, I don't know how to help you now. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011
  3. Cozzio

Cozzio Newcomer In Limbo

ok thanks

4. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

The error is "SoundEffects_Common not defind", and that means that this routine doesn't exist however somewhere in your code its trying to branch to it. So have a search for it to see what's branching to it, and if you need that routine then add it in. Otherwise remove this branch or change it. Its hard to tell, do you mind posting that small bit of code thats branching to it?.

5. Cozzio

Cozzio Newcomer In Limbo

what do you mean? Sorry for being so clueless just new at this stuff :)

6. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Say for example:

GotoSoundEffects_Common:
    bra.w SoundEffects_Common

SoundEffects_Common2:

rts

Imagine this was in sonic1.asm. We have the routine " GotoSoundEffects_Common:" like above. Then we have this line "bra.w SoundEffects_Common", and this is trying to go to that named routine. However we instead have "SoundEffects_Common2" instead, so it won't be able to go to the routine because that name doesn't exist anywhere in sonic1.asm. Just open sonic1.asm in notepad, click edit, find, and type in "SoundEffects_Common" with out the speech marks. Then delete it, put a commer infront of it, or look back at the guide to see if you miss spelled it wrong, or if you fogot to add that routine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2011
  7. Cozzio

Cozzio Newcomer In Limbo

wait, a commer? and just delete "SoundEffects_Common"?

8. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    You know Cozzio, it seems you are having way more trouble with this spindash than you should. If I were you, I would start out clean with a brand new disassembly, specifically the MarkeyJester 128 engine, so you can port other levels in (link: http://info.sonicretro.org/Project_Sonic_1:_Two-Eight), and that way you can follow this guide, http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Add..._Sonic_1/Part_1, which has 4 parts by the way, and restart from scratch without any problems. From the sound of it, you are using the SVN disassembly. Not lie, I am not a big fan of it due to it copious amounts of files, and personally, I don't find it beginner friendly. From the sound of it, you are a beginner, so I am just offering you some advice. These things I've just linked you to will make your life 20x easier. Have fun

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  9. Dark Lips

Dark Lips Well-Known Member Member

I totaly agree... also it might be worth you looking at some of the more basic asm tutorials over at retro http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Wor..._68000_assembly and http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Set...lit_disassembly

just take your time and read through them... or do what I do and keep it open in the background so you can flick back if you get unsure at any point.

10. Cozzio

Cozzio Newcomer In Limbo

ok I will try to start again for the 4th time

11. Cozzio

Cozzio Newcomer In Limbo

The Disassembly page is down/removed should I just use the original one?

12. SuperEgg

http://info.sonicretro.org/Project_Sonic_1:_Two-Eight

merry christmas.

13. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

Haha, I remember when I first started Sonic Hacking I too had trouble adding the Spin Dash.

It's a pretty good one, minus the music. I advise you go watch it. =P

14. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member Member

Just an argument against the comment earlier about the SVN disassambly not being beginner friendly: The variable names make it far easier for a beginner to look at a bit of code and figure out what it does. Also I personally like the split files, I like being able to have different parts of code open side by side, it saves scrolling back and forth or using 'find' to get around a huge file.

15. Cozzio

Cozzio Newcomer In Limbo

I was acctually following selbies tutorial the second time I tried this and everything worked except for part 3 where he was adding the spindash sound. It never seemed to work for me.

16. SuperEgg

Yeah, but once you build it, and you have an issue, if you close out of your window, then you have to go through all the trouble of finding the asm, then edit it. I don't mind seperating objects out of the main asm, I find that good, but my main issue with the svn is the fact that Sonic's object is split into 15 different asm's, and it can be annoying as fuck having like 3 tabs open trying to edit code, for example. I tried using the svn to add in spindash into Sonic 1, I was throughly annoyed by the fact I had to open this file, then create a new file, then go back to this file and this piece of code in, ect. If the svn had 1 object's code all together in ONE asm, instead of multiple, I wouldn't mind to much. Also, as far as the ram labeling goes, I have heard from alot of people they get annoyed trying to port stuff, or edit something b/c they sometimes have to go back and look at the ram address index to make sure it is the correct name they are using. Difference of opinion I suppose.

17. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member Member

Yeah, it just comes down to what you prefer ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.