[Inspired Concept] Sonic 2: Extended Final Areas

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Rezeed, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rezeed

Rezeed Dataspirit and Dream Traveller Member

This Idea was inspired by MarkeyJester.

(I am not very sure where this thread can be placed, but I thought it may be appropriate here)

Have you ever noticed that the final few levels in Sonic two have ONLY one act each and that they don't really explore any deeper that it shown?

In my honest opinion, it wasn't all that satisfying and felt rushed.

I want to get some opinions on this, but I was thinking; Wing Fortress Zone, Death Egg Zone and Sky Chase Zone could use at least one more act.

Basically, after we land on Robotnik's ship, I was thinking some inside exploration and dismantling of his ship could take place in the form of a second act. This can be where the boss fight actually happens and could transition into a second Sky Chase Zone where Sonic is in the outskirts of the death egg, platforming on the remains of the wing fortress to reach the death egg. This can open up for a new boss fight. Anyway, when sonic reaches the death egg, he can be racing to get to Robonik within the death egg. I think for added difficulty, it can call for a boss rush of all the bosses so far, but the Eggrobo (Many of them) could be piloting the mechs for these. That way, when he reaches what already appears like the final stretch of the death egg, there really would be some closure and feel a lot more satisfying when beating it.

My reasoning behind it is that is the entire level for Wing Fortress zone is done outside the ship(With the exception of the boss fight), and the transition seems a little TOO quick to get to facing robotnik a final time. Plus, when you exit that zone, the wing fortress somehow is destroyed. Along with that you reach the last level, you will notice that the death egg appears to be rather small and doesn't cover a lot of area compaired the the wing fortress. Not only that, when you look at Sonic 3 and Knuckles, when you revist the death egg(which is suppose to be the very same death egg from sonic 2, story wise), That death egg appears to be rather large now that you get a good look at it. Not only that, it takes two whole acts to reach Robotnik unlike who in sonic 2, where you get to see him right away while fighting Metal Sonic.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
  2. GalliumGrant

GalliumGrant Void. Member

I love this idea of expanding upon the original levels of Sonic 2.

It not only shows creativity, but curiosity! Heck, why not add Act 2

themes for Death Egg and Wing Fortress Zone?

Offtopic: I guess I'm not the only MarkeyTheJester fan around here! <_<

3. Jareth247

Jareth247 Well-Known Member Member

First off, why not make Sky Chase and Wing Fortress one single zone? Add some WF elements to the tail end of Sky Chase.

And Death Egg Zone would be Act Three, with Metal Sonic as the Death Egg Zone boss.

And the Final Boss would just be its own zone, just like the Final Boss in Sonic 1.

4. Rezeed

@GalliumGrant Since I am still learning the basics for Sonic Rom hacking, I will need to learn how to pull that off. Otherwise, they would have the same songs as their act one stages

@Jareth247 There are some things that I find wrong with what you said and really contradict the nature of this concept.

1. The point of this concept is to expand and also extend the final areas in the game since it was way too short and rushed. To turn two stages into one without extensions and make the last areas separate the boss fights doesn't exactly work.

2. I am trying add new areas that I think should have been there to begin with, but I want to try it as if it's like sega naturally intended to have it like if they had more time to make the game. It's a lot like how some people made hacks with the intent to restore the "removed" stages like Wood Zone and Hidden Palace Zone. But in this case, I am wanting to add new areas that likely should have been there. A second act to Wing Fortress Zone where you are actually in the Ship. That way it actually makes sense that it got destroyed. A Second Sky Chase Zone to show the transition between escaping the ship and chasing Robotnik to the Death Egg. Finally, it would be nice to see and work on at least an act before the original Death Egg zone.

3. To separate the to boss fights would not only make the game easier, but it can somewhat ruin the atmosphere that the final level originally gave.

5. DarkVyse

DarkVyse Well-Known Member Member

Or in Death egg you come to a room with the red Teleportation orbs. That send you to each boss fight that you already faced. Like in the Megaman X games?

6. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

To be honest, I quite liked how SCZ, WFZ and DEZ were handled originally. Having an extra act would make the story a bit too long IMO.

7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

S2 Long Version already gave DEZ three acts iirc, so it's sort of been done before. And in my opinion, SCZ & WFZ are fine the way they are. :3 But if you really want to add more acts in your hack, then go for it. xP

8. GalliumGrant

GalliumGrant Void. Member

Yes, but Death Egg Zone in Sonic 2 Long Version was the just the three acts of Chemical Plant Zone

with the BG of the Final Boss of Sonic 2. Nothing Special. If he can make completely original levels

out of these few zones, than this hack will succeed in the job it intends to do.

9. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Ehh, tbh, Sonic 2 is laid out in a pretty good order. I mean I have to admit, Wings Fortress was a pretty short level....but so was Sky Deck in Adventure, which mind you came RIGHT after Sky Chase as well. Now, what I'd really like to see is a level that is between Metropolis and Sky Chase, b/c, it seems like Sky Chase just came out of nowhere. I mean, not all the levels flowed perfectly in Sonic 2, but still it was kinda understandable how you got from CPZ to ARZ. Now as far as the Death Egg goes, I'm one of those on the middle ground here. I would really like to see an extended version of DEZ, but if the person who does the layout does it horribly, then no, leave it be. Plus, at the same token, the single act thing keeps you at your toes. If anything, I'd rather see a modified layout of the one act of DEZ, and make it more DEADLY, thus making it fit the name. But either or.

10. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Originally, Death Egg Zone was to have two acts according to Sonic 2 Beta, but due to time constraints, it ended up being turned into a small final boss area only.

11. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

They all had two acts (with the exception of Metropolis), so we can't be positive. :|

12. Rezeed

First quote response: Unfortunately, I am still very new to the sonic hacking world. Heck, I was introduced the sonic rom hacks from MarkeyJester's work(no kidding). I am still not all that familiar with all the hacks and only started trying different ones not too long ago. Honestly, I think having such newer areas may bring some new perspective. Like for example, that abridged experience with the Wing Fortress could make more sense as to HOW it got destroyed. Maybe we'll get to see Robotnik try to self destruct it. Or maybe sonic did a lot of damage from the inside. This could explain a lot and bring things into context. Of course, this is only a guess as to what actually happened.

Second quote response: As Spanner was very kind to mention, some of the stuff was cut out because Sega didn't have enough time to get it all in. If you feel that uncomfortable about such an idea, consider this concept a theory as to what could have been if they had more time to prepare this game. Kinda like how there are people that want to restore the hidden palace zone and wood zone.

Third Quote response: Thank you for giving me more motivation to make a second act for Death Egg Zone. Now I really want to try making an attempt at creating what the Death Egg Zone Pre-act 1 would look like. I think I may try to make it sadistically hard, provided I learn how to add levels. Also, thanks for that neat fun fact about there suppose to be a second Death Egg Zone act. I alway felt that last three levels seemed rather rushed, now I know why.

@Dandaman All stages except the last 4 areas had two acts. Metropolis Zone had 3 acts. Sky Chase Zone, Wing Fortress Zone, and Death Egg Zone had only one act in the final version of Sonic 2.

I was thinking the are on top of the boss could have the stage clear sign there, and on the second act, I can cue it in from within the ship. That way it can lead back to where the boss was originally after doing stuff within the ship itself. I was thinking since the ship got destroy and they were already in the stratosphere, that the debree of the ship and other things to act as a second Sky Chase Zone Act. Sonic/Tails could have been fallen off the Egg Rocket(Due to the G-Force of the rocket) and tried to reach the death egg with the remains of the wing fortress and space debree. This could mean, a different entrance to the death egg which could be for a solid reason to have an extra act to reach where we normally fight the Death Egg Robo.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  13. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Damn you Spanner, I was going to edit my comment when I got home and add that. Seems you beat me to it.

14. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

I know, it was a reply to Spanner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.