SA2B Super Sonic

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by CrashSG32, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrashSG32

CrashSG32 Classy and I know it Member

I know you guys normally hack the genesis games, but I was wondering: is it possible to hack Super Sonic into the normal stages in SA2B? I haven't been able to find anything relating to it at all on teh interwebs. I'm not much of a hacker of the newer games (excluding Generations), but I've always wanted SS to be playable in the normal stages. Would it be possible?

2. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

It is "possible", but somebody would have to make the game load Super Sonic's data files, and alter the game's code to trigger the change. But unlike SA1, SA2's Super Sonic level is not a "normal" type of level, so he would probably fly around in the air instead of running on the ground.

3. CrashSG32

It's possible?! Awesome! Can you try to help me do it? If not, do you know anyone who might be able to help with this?

Keep in mind I'm talking about SA2B, not SA2. BUT I guess it doesn't matter which one.

4. MainMemory

There is a great deal of research required before we can even attempt it, research which will likely have to be done by myself. I do not know PowerPC ASM (what the GC uses) or SH-4 ASM (what the DC uses). If anything, SA1 is the most likely candidate, because it's already been done in SADX PC.

5. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

You can change the blue to yellow and just "Pretend" he's super =P

6. Pokepunch

Pokepunch That guy who posts on occasion Member

Or you could just pretend that he is already yellow and super, The easiest way.

7. CrashSG32

Damn. I've tried signing up to Sonic Retro to ask about my hack idea but I haven't gotten validated like most recent people who signed up.

It wouldn't feel the same :p

:/

So until I get validated on SR (which may never happen), I guess this hack will never get made. :(

Is there anyone who knows about hacking SA2/SA2B?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  8. MainMemory

Asking on Sonic Retro will only get you similar replies to mine. And you are not the first person to have this idea. Believe me, as soon as we have the knowledge to do it it will be done.

You'll just have to wait like everyone else, unless you feel like learning SH-4 ASM and get IDA.

9. DarkLeach

DarkLeach Well-Known Member Member

This would've been a whole lot easier If SEGA released/ported SA2/SA2B for(to) the PC, that's the only reason SADX got Super Sonic, because it was ported to the PC.

10. CrashSG32

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it gets made in the future.

It'd be MUCH easier if that were to happen. But I don't see happening too soon. Maybe in a year or 2 it may get ported.

Argh! I hate waiting! *runs past future signpost*

11. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Couldn't it be done using simple character ID swaps? Like with GeckoOS or a Gameshark?

12. DarkLeach

In theory yes, however all the physics, interactions, loading etc, would all be screwed up majorly.

13. MainMemory

If Super Sonic is a separate character from normal Sonic, maybe. But in SA1 he's not. And you might still have to get his model, textures and animations loaded somehow.

14. CrashSG32

How could I try that, a usual gameshark-type code? And what are the code(s)?

15. MainMemory

There are no codes because nobody has hacked them yet, IF it is even possible to get Super Sonic with codes.

16. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

If you truly want Super Sonic in SA2B, maybe you should try to research and or learn PowerPC ASM on your own (since i'm guessing you want to hack SA2B and not SA2.) Look up tutorials, practice coding then try disassembling it. No matter what it'll take time, it's not something you learn overnight. Especially since the game has a ton of data... but just like with hacking the 16 bit games no one is going to do the work for you. But I do wish you luck on you're hacking journey. :(

17. DarkLeach

Hey CrashSG32, why don't you try and hack it in yourself (wouldn't hurt if you were really bored and had nothing to do :( that's how I started hacking Sonic 1)? I really don't want to because I don't want to try to learn another computer language. I'm learning VB in School, trying Java on occasion, and then 68k for my Sonic Hack, and then most of my free time is on my laptop making my Sonic 1 Hack, playing my Gameboy Advance, or watching YouTube (these can be discussed on a different thread). If you could somehow do it that would be another amazing step for the Sonic Hacking community. Which I don't think I could do, most of the people here are WAY more experienced then me at these kind of things.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  18. CrashSG32

I'd try, but I don't think I'll ever be able to do it.

I'll give it a try I guess, but I don't think I'll have too much luck.

And I wasn't asking someone to do all the work, I would have tried to help out.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012
  19. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

:V Oh young minds!

Well, There are Gameshark and GeckoOS codes for characters (Mechaless Eggman for example), so once a stage loads it's forced to load said character, although, I haven't seen a supersonic code :s...

20. CrashSG32

I just found that someone has done it! Kinda...

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=28035&pid=677400&st=0&#entry677400

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.