Need help with object placement

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Jamesoleruster, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamesoleruster

Jamesoleruster 557-232-N00B Member

Alright, beginning to figure out the hex editor and stuff now, now I'm currently trying to manually place rings in Wood Zone with it. Anyways I'm at the address where WZ's ring locations are and I wanna know how exactly would I place these objects? I want to place like 3 rings at 02E9004C in the level. Would I put the coords, ring orientation and amount in there, or include it all in the last 4 bytes of the string? (02E9004C)

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Every 4 bytes is a ring object.

The format is XX XX SY YY.

• XX XX is the X position
    • -Y YY is the Y position
    • S- is the Sub-type of the ring and is broken into bits (DAAA)
    • AAA is the amount, from 000 to 111 will be from 1 ring to 8 rings
    • D is the direction, if 0, they're horizontal, if 1, they're vertical

For you, you'll want 02 E9 ?0 4C with ? being the number of rings (and direction you want them). And ALWAYS ensure that the last 2 bytes of the entire list are FF FF so the system knows it's the end of the list.

Here's an example of my random list here:

Code:
    00 30 20 10 00 40 70 20 00 38 A0 30 FF FF

So that is:

00 30 20 10 (a ring at co-ordinates 0030x0010 with "2" (3 rings horizontally))

00 40 70 20 (a ring at co-ordinates 0040x0020 with "7" (8 rings horizontally))

00 38 A0 30 (a ring at co-ordinates 0038x0030 with "A" (3 rings vertically))

FF FF (End of list)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
  3. Jamesoleruster

So in my case, I would need to, if I wanted to place 3 rings horizontally at 02E9004C, I would put it as 02E9204C right?

Also, on Sonic retro it says the WZ ring locations are located at $000483E0. Is this simply a pointer list, and if so, where are they pointing? It seems that it starts at $000483DA, 5 and a half slots for rings exist, and end at $000483F03.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  4. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Merry Christmas.

I made you a file that already has the changes needed to be able to put rings and objects into your level. It is a rom, editable in ESEII. I was going to release the disam of it, but since it isn't even close to being ready, I made this. Hope this makes life easy.

a.zip

Just open ESEII, load the rom, and get to editing. Basically, I made a copy of EHZ 1 and 2's object and ring layout, put it into Wood Zone's slot and made it where you can do what ever you wish. And as an added bonus, I also put in CNZ's final ring layouts just in case. As I said, this should make life easier.

Attached Files:

• a.zip
      File size:
      619.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

ESE + Sonic 2 = No. Never.

6. SuperEgg

Sonic 2 Beta =/= Sonic 2. You should know this by now Irixion. ;)

ESEII doesn't move the levels to the end of the rom like it does for its final counterpart. Also, since there is no way for him to edit levels via a disassembly, well not yet anyway, this is the next best thing. Trying to do hex is a fucking headache for a first time hacker last time I remembered, so I'm saving this good fellow the stress of trying to understand it and not getting anywhere and actually make progress. Unfortunately, he can't do much in the moves department. but still, he could make some badass level layout hacks, or palette hacks.....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

That ^

I don't discourage binary hacking either, I actually like the fact that Jamesoleruster is trying with binary (and actually understanding it too), at the end of the day, there have been two or three hacks that I can remember being made via binary/ESE, that are pretty sweet to play. As long as it's in the right hands, and directed in the right way, the final product will always be good no matter what methods were used.

8. SuperEgg

So James, did my little rom help?

9. Jamesoleruster

Thank you very much! ;)

Time for some major work!

This doesn't seem to appear to be of my current rom though. Is it possible to do some copy pasta in the hex editor? Or do I need to send you my rom?

Also, I've used more than ESE and the hex editor. Sonik Sprite, NineKolor (before I discovered ESE) and TLP (unfortunately I didn't know how to use it, so I ended up replacing a certain CNZ tile with some tile from the EHZ cloud)

Pretty much layout-wise, I will use parts of Angel Island, Green Hill (from both S1 and Generations) as well as parts of the original and my own original parts, like a cave part with those bat badniks in NHZ Act 2 and the one alternate fast route starting on some loop in NHZ Act 1 (or maybe 2, forget).

But theres a thousand and two miles to go before its what I call complete, but I'm doing it a step at a time, and I'll make it there.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  10. SuperEgg

Hold on, what do you mean of you're current rom? The rom I made has the changes already made in the rom itself, so there really is no need of using a hex editor. If you just simply edit the rings and object placement already there in the level editor, you'll be in good shape.

Also.......

Holy crap broseph, if I knew you were going to this, I would've just sent you my unfinished disam, probably would go a load more smoother. Anywho, I don't how you're gonna edit art in this rom, but I wish you good luck, because brother, you're gonna need it. Out of curiosity, what made you chose to hack Sonic 2 beta? I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved hacking SWS2B in binary as well, but still, why? I mean, if the issue is that there is no disassembly for it that is editable, then that is a problem I could solve, by making it with the things needed to make it editable. But I digress, good luck sir.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  11. Jamesoleruster

Bumped, I know.

My current rom = the hack. Besides, working with ESE and some hex editing isn't the only thing I've done to the ROM. Can you make the changes you made to WZ and CNZ to my hacked rom?

What made me chose S2B Superegg are for a few reasons. Levels and uniqueness being the top two reasons.

SSL download: http://ifile.it/btshv9r

12. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Screenshots bro, I ain't gonna download something without any screenies.

13. SuperEgg

Why don't you just use the rom I provided for you, make the changes on it, then you can move on? The rom I gave you already had all the the changes to the object table loading locations so that you could change or remove objects from the current level. Same goes for rings. You're making it way to hard on yourself by doing all this uneccesary editing with your old rom. Please don't take this as a "you sux, stop hacking" but what you are doing is way overly complicated for a beginner. I know, I tried the exact same thing as you and yielded next to no results. Then I found out about disassembly.....Anyways, the rom I provided for you has everything already there, all you have to do is move the rings, objects, ect in a way you want. There is no need to hex edit, because I asm'd that hoe into working for ESEII.

14. Jamesoleruster

But I dont know how to copy objects from rom to rom.

Maybe I should lay it off for a while, maybe I can start a hack of Sonic 2 or 1, just to get the hang of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.