Making PAR codes and how they relate to RAM editing

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Jamesoleruster, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamesoleruster

Jamesoleruster 557-232-N00B Member

Okay, while I'm not very good at Sonic hacking, there are a few things I know how to do and one of them would be making PAR codes. Lets first explain the way they work.

First of all, PAR codes modify data in the RAM. For example in Sonic 1, $F761 is the value RAM that sets Sonic's top speed. If you wanna make a PAR code that modifies this, you have to include this value in the address field of the PAR code. However, since a PAR code needs 6 characters in the address field and not 4, you have to add something to the address, which is actually s,impler than it sounds. So here is your basic format for making these codes:

FF<address in ram>:<value>

So for example, for increasing speed in Sonic 1 again, F761 is the address where Sonic's top speed is, so I'd add FF in front of it, making it FFF761, then I'd add the colon and value after it, so my code for making Sonic really fast is FFF761:8A10, and making Sonic really slow is FFF761:7800.

* note $F761 is also Sonic's top speed counter in Sonic 2, however the values used are likely to work differently between the two games as Sonic is faster in Sonic 2

Also, some values only use 0001 and 0000 (this is for addresses that only need to use on and off, like the water on/off switch) some can go all the way to FFFF, with 0000 being off (like the water level change switch) and some don't use off at all (like the speed counter)

Now, here are some homemade cheat codes that you guys can play with:

Sonic 1

FFFE21:0001 : Start with alot of rings. Note: Will display as 0 in the HUD's ring counter, but it wont flash, and when you lose the rings or collect another it will loop to 256 (it will add however many you collected to that number if you collected any)

FFF765:9999 : Sonic can change his direction on a dime

Sonic 2

FFFE12:DA42 : -8 Lives (-8 is what it says on HUD) Note: This doesn't necessarily mean infinite lives

FFF703:FFFF : Tails cant be controlled by the CPU in 1 player mode AT ALL, even when the act starts. Good for playing 2 player co-op rather than 2P versus. Note: Tails will still fly back to you

Sonic 3&K

FFF43E:FFFF : You'll never speed up in Special Stages

FFFFAF:0001 : Play in Sonic and Knuckles even if it is locked onto Sonic 3. Note: You cant play as Tails with this code on

Have fun! :D

2. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

It's also worth mentioning that if you add $2478 to the RAM addresses, you get their respective savestate addresses.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  3. Jamesoleruster

Jamesoleruster 557-232-N00B Member

Yeah, I heard you could do that with Genecyst savestates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.