E02 Multiplatform 2D Game Engine and Sonic the Hedgehog Example Game

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Stealth, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stealth

Stealth Newcomer Member

[New to E02? Check the lower portion of this post for info]

This is a major update, bringing about new and better editing interfaces, new and enhanced functionality and ease-of-use script features, and other feature updates such as stereo and Ogg Vorbis music support! There is more, but the specifics are too numerous to list here. Please see the the What's New document

Also, those who have been keeping up may have noticed that I've been promising for a while to update the old Sonic example scripts with much better formatting and commenting to make it easier to read and manage. It was a long and boring process, but it's finally complete! On top of that, the functionality has been greatly expanded, including the addition of Tails and Knuckles as playable characters, and as a playable game, it has been expanded to include the same Green Hill zone from the 2008 Project Mettrix demo, as well as an all-new level using Green Hill and Labyrinth Zone objects, graphics based on PlaySega's online Flash Sonic the Hedgehog editor, and two new bosses - "Gemstone Garden Zone". There are even Bonus and Special Stages. Once again, there are too many updates to go into complete detail, so please view the ReadMe document

There is also a gameplay video spanning Gemstone Garden from start to finish, though it doesn't cover all possible routes, and only shows the location of two of the nine Special Stage rings (It is possible to get all 7 Chaos Emeralds. There are 7 "difficulty levels", plus a "hidden" eighth difficulty. The layouts are generated randomly each time)

[/media]

--------------------------------------------------------

E02 is a versatile, performance-oriented engine for creating many different types of 2D games. Any game developed with E02 will run on any supported system (assuming the spec of the lowest-supported system has been considered), which currently include: Windows, Linux, Intel/PowerPC MacOSX, PSP (Custom Firmware), Wii (Homebrew Channel), and GP2X Wiz

For more information, check out the official site:

http://stealth.hapisan.com/E02

Games currently in-development for E02 include:

Megaman: Triple Threat - http://stealth.hapisan.com/MMTT

Sonic the Hedgehog: Project Mettrix - http://stealth.hapisan.com/Mettrix

Currently-Available game templates include:

Generic Template - Just enough to be able to put something on the screen and fiddle with it

Sonic the Hedgehog Example Game - Made from the same scripts and data as Project Mettrix; six gameplay levels, two types of bonus level, and more demonstrating many features from the original Genesis games including complete Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles player characters, and provides a basis on which new levels, enemies, items, and abilities can be added

http://stealth.hapis.../E02/#Templates

For discussion and support, visit the Forum:

http://stealth.hapisan.com/Forum

Or the official IRC channel:

Server- irc.badnik.net

Channel- #OC

The following resources are also available for instant update notification:

http://www.twitter.com/E02Stealth

http://www.youtube.com/OCStealth

2. Moffel

Moffel Newcomer Trialist

Stealth planned you on the pc version gamepad support and the engine is so great. :) Good Job

3. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Very clever, I must say. You really do put yourself out to create programs like these. And if you made that example game with your program, I will have to try this for myself.

And as for the video, wow, very clever. The art is beautiful, and the music choices fit perfectly, and I like the new Bonus stages too, nice idea. I think you got the physics of Sonic almost perfect, just his hurt state seems a little fast, otherwise, all good.

I'm very impressed.

4. DJaftershock

DJaftershock TWO-DEE-ECKS-GOLD Member

That looks pretty amazing. The bonus stages in particular look really well done and the music in the video fits the game's levels perfectly. I'd love to see what you do with this.

5. Stealth

Stealth Newcomer Member

Thanks for all the compliments!

Sorry, but I haven't had the time to give much thought to how to properly support joysticks/gamepads in Windows. The fact that there are so many different devices is just one thing that makes it difficult, and there are too many other important things to take care of. For now, though, you could use something like joytokey. That will let you set up your gamepad in a way that you can use it with E02

I wouldn't think so - the speed values are taken straight from the original games. If this is something you noticed in the Bonus Stage, that will definitely look different there because its gravity is 3/4 that of normal levels

---

I had some time to throw together a couple of videos. One of them is tutorial-like, but I'll point out this one first, so you can see some non-Sonic stuff :p

This second one might be the start of what some people have been looking for. It's a general walk-through of different parts of E02. There's too much to cover very many specifics all at once, so this is more just for getting oriented. You should end up with a slightly better idea of how to find your way around

I don't know how much time I have for these right now, so I can't say how many are coming, and when. I hope what I do manage to get out will be of some use :p

6. DJaftershock

DJaftershock TWO-DEE-ECKS-GOLD Member

JESUS. I didn't know this would be capable of creating Megaman 7, Super Mario Bros.3 and Sonic 3D Blast. This is very impressive, sort of like a new add-on to the Genesis/Mega Drive/IDONGIVEAFU--. I'm liking this a lot.

7. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Been tinkering about with E02 for the past few weeks, and it has improved greatly from what was the Mettrix engine released almost a decade ago. My only real gripe is the lack of 8-bit PNG & Bitmap support for importing art assets, as I'm not a big fan of Targa or PCX. I'm contemplating whether or not to make a game with it.

8. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

Bump.

For some reason I can't use the 'export to E02' function on SonED2 to work. Any suggestions?

Also E02 keeps crashing when I try to download anything.

9. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.