Sonic The Hedgehog: Level Layouts

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by DJaftershock, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Why would anybody use Gens? Gens is a horrible emulator. Ragen or gtfo.

2. DJaftershock

DJaftershock TWO-DEE-ECKS-GOLD Member

Well, I WOULD use Kega if it wasn't a bitch right now. Ragen isn't my thing, so Gens is the best thing I got since it's third of my list.

3. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

Kega is more or less worse than Gens, many more bugs are seen in game while using that. I especially have had issue with the emulator, regen would be your best option overall.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  4. DJaftershock

Update - 6/12/2012

Hack Discontinued

It was only supposed to be a test hack for importing data that I was going to be putting into later hacks and now it's pretty much outlived it's usefullness, since, let's face it, it's terrible. Stay tuned, maybe I might be making another hack from this one.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2012
  5. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Stop the "gtfo" stuff. It isn't nice. Plus, it's Regen, not Regan.

6. DJaftershock

Lol, I can't believe I actually search 'Regan' for that emulator...

I feel like an utter pisshead now...

7. redhotsonic

That was meant to be a quote for SuperEgg, not you. Damn quotes =P

Anyway, you can now search for "Regen". It's the emulator I use all the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
  8. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Code shit better then. Gens is fucking old and the least accurate of the three main emulators.

9. DJaftershock

And that's why I use Gens, because if it works on Gens then it's gonna work on everything else.

10. redhotsonic

Wrong. If it works on Kega, then it will work on everything else. Kega and Regen are the emulators that best match the real hardware. If your hack doesn't work on these two emulators, then many people will chose not to play your hack.

11. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS

You sir have no sense of humor =P

12. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member Member

Kega also lets you do a lot of stuff that won't work on hardware (you can access words/longwords at odd addresses, you never seem to need to stop the z80, etc.) Regen is a lot more accurate in that regard.

13. redhotsonic

You sir have no sense of humor =P

I do, it was funny when you said it to me but it may not be as funny when done to others. It may not be as clear to others that you were only having a laugh. It you ended that sentence with =P or something, I probably wouldn't of been as bothered about it.

14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Wrong. If it works on Kega, then it will work on everything else. Kega and Regen are the emulators that best match the real hardware. If your hack doesn't work on these two emulators, then many people will chose not to play your hack.

Wrong again, strictly speaking, what you should say is "if it works on hardware, then it will work on everything else" as hardware is the closest to hardware, there is a problem with this however, I've had stuff that has worked in Kega, but not on Regen or hardware, I've also had stuff that has worked in Regen, but not in kega or hardware, and yes, I have even had stuff that works on hardware, but not on any other emulator.

The simple fact is, just because it works on one program/device does not mean to say it will work on everything, to claim so is an undesirable idea which I would advise strongly against...

In regards to level layout structures, I cannot say anything that hasn't already been said, I would have posted a link to the "levels" thread, but someone had already done so.

15. redhotsonic

Thanks for clearing that up. It'll be interesting to know if S2R or S2TA work on real hardware then as they both work on Regen and Kega.

But either way, Kega and Regen are better than Gens overall, and I would say the closest to hardware.

16. GamesArePlayed

GamesArePlayed Newcomer Trialist

I just thought I should address Your grass problem. If you use something like ESE or SonED, which places the actual chunks, there are a few chunks which, simply weren't designed to be put together.

If you want to fix that, you'll have the either choose different chunks, or go into a tile editor and edit the chunks and solidity yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.