Sonic 1 Strike

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Litebolt, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Just gave this thing a go at it and I have to say...

Pros: the level layouts are pretty decent and good (though you might want to edit the chucks a bit in GHZ) and some of the music choices are pretty decent also. 

Cons: my only thing with this is that parts of the palette for MZ are way to dark and that the saturation is to high.

so all together, I have to say not bad so far. I know there are some parts to be fixed but that's to be expected. I for one can say that I can see some potential in this. nice work so far.  :)

2. Litebolt

Litebolt Newcomer Trialist

About the saturation in MZ... is the saturation at a decent level? (P.S. Once again, the bricks are supposed to be that dark, it's nighttime in MZ.)

/monthly_07_2013/post-2455-0-69270900-1372683480_thumb.png

Attached Files:

3. SaunicBoom

SaunicBoom Well-Known Member Member

[​IMG]

I think something more along the lines of this is what we're imagining as far as the saturation is concerned.

4. Litebolt

Litebolt Newcomer Trialist

Oops! Forgot to mention that credit goes to Nineko, TheEchidna, and Pokepunch for the music.

5. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I didn't download it so I didn't know my music was in this :eek:

Now I'm going to check it out, I like when people like my music :)

By the way, I renamed this topic since you changed the name from Sonic 1 Striked to Sonic 1 Strike ;)

edit: ok, so... it's not that bad, I definitely played worse. Keep improving :)

Some advices:

[​IMG]

Set the "remember sprite status" flag, it doesn't make sense for the breakable wall to reappear if you go back to the beginning.

[​IMG]

Don't do that.

[​IMG]

This shouldn't happen. Add invisible walls where appropriate. Because...

[​IMG]

... I'm stuck. Let's wait for a Time Over.

[​IMG]

Don't do that, either. It doesn't make sense.

These are just a few quick comments off the top of my mind, there's probably something else but I can't extensively beta test this right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  6. rika_chou

rika_chou Adopt Member

A level takes place at night doesn't have to be so dark. Just look at any night level in any Sonic game. You could brighten the foreground up quite a bit and it could look better. Right now it's kind of hard to see and it blends with the background a little.

Otherwise, besides what has already been pointed out, this is a pretty good start. Much better than some of the stuff that has been posted around here recently. 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  7. fdswerty

fdswerty Well-Known Member Member

...Gave this hack a go, after all, it doesn't look so bad. Some layouts still need some improvements, and there's a few mis-matched chunks in GHZ. MZ's FG palette is too dark, it could look better if you'd make it a bit more brighter.  Also, the MGZ1's tempo seems to be quite fast.

BTW, I wish you luck in this hack. I really liked this demo, even if it was early.

8. InfiniteWave

InfiniteWave Veteran Of The Arte & Sword Member

The level layouts are good. The palette is alittle too dark but regardless it isn't pitch black.

9. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

I think this would be a neat feature worth learning how to code. It would really set it's game play apart from Marble Zone significantly. Plus, the process of learning how to do that will allow you to learn how to do so many other interesting things in the process.

10. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

I think this would be a neat feature worth learning how to code. It would really set it's game play apart from Marble Zone significantly. Plus, the process of learning how to do that will allow you to learn how to do so many other interesting things in the process.

Here's an idea:

Find out how to set flags (quite easy, in fact I'm pretty sure a switch does it since it opens doors, you can even use the same flag)

Have a check to see if flag is set in the palette loading code.

If it is set, load different palette.

???

PROFIT.

11. TheInvisibleSun

You could also make subtypes of certain objects or enemies only appear (or disappear) when the lights are on. This could open up many opportunities for interesting level design features like secret paths and such.

12. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

That's actually quite a cool idea. Make entrances which you can only go through when it's dark, but make enemies like spiders and ghosts appear when it is, as a deterrent. Good idea!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2013
  13. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

I actually think that's what SOZ act 2 did.

Edit: Well maybe not the secret paths part, can't remember.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2013
  14. TheInvisibleSun

SOZ Act 2 only had ghost enemies that grew as the lights dimmed, becoming harmful only when the lights completely went out. There were no secret paths triggered by the light pulleys though. Speaking of SOZ 2, you can also try to put a time limit on the lights, maybe using what Invincibility and the like do as a base.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.