Need help with a hack (Music)

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by ianmlp, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianmlp

ianmlp Newcomer Trialist

I'm working on a Sonic 1 hack that is currently called Sonic 1: Code C.E. But that's not the point right now. I need help with making SMPS files of certain music to put in it. I was wondering if someone could do that for me. I'm good on my hacks ASM editing and stuff but I can't make an SMPS without it being broken or an instrument missing. This is a list of the music I was going to put in my game.

1. Sonic 4 Ep 1 - Splash Hill Zone Act 3
    2. Sonic 4 Ep 2 - Vs. Metal Sonic

3. Sonic Generations - Classic Rooftop Run

4. Sonic Colors - Starlight Carnival
    5. Sonic 3 - Stage Clear
    6. Sonic CD (JP) - Invincibility
    7. Sonic CD - Stardust Speedway Bad Future
    8. Sonic Generations - Classic Crisis City
    9. Sonic 4 Ep 2 - Final Boss
    10. Sonic 3 - Credits
    11. Sonic CD - Tidal Tempest Present

12. Sonic 3 - Special Stage

If someone could help me by showing me how to make these or by making at least 1 of them. That would be really nice. Although I'm trying to use Mid2SMPS but I don't have drums.. and I don't know how to get the drums. So... yeah.

2. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    First question, what sound driver are you using? I'd assume the stock one, but just wanted to check before giving you any help.

3. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

As for the Sonic 3 tracks, those are really somewhat easy to port over, since Sonic 3 uses an SMPS sound driver just like Sonic 1. The only issue is that a lot of songs will need PSG/DAC fixes. You can fix the DAC by implementing MegaPCM driver, but I don't know how to fix the PSG. Also some songs will have incorrect voices when ported to Sonic 1 (e.g. DEZ Act 1, the distortion guitar sounds like static). I would suggest asking somebody who has experience with music porting, such as Electroball.

As for porting the other songs, all I can say is good luck ;)

4. warr1or2

warr1or2 I AM CLG Member

i used the ese sound importer to port songs from other sonic genesis games

and used xm4smps, and modplugtracker combo to convert mid to xm to sonic 1 smps

maybe this helps some

5. DevEd

DevEd A lol who occasionally doge nothing Member

Actually, don't use ESE sound importer. It produces really messy ports. I would suggest SMPS Converter, which can be found here.

EDIT: Actually, the best option would be to do it manually.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  6. ianmlp

ianmlp Newcomer Trialist

1. I was using the x3v file from Nineko's MIDI to XM to SMPS tutorial. It doesn't sound that good, if there is an x3v file I could use to make songs that sound like the ones from Sonic 1, that would be nice... Now, I have the stuff needed for making a song but I just need x3v file that has Sonic 1 instruments...

7. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Dude, that x3v bank was tailored for that specific conversion, it will never sound good on any other song, but don't try to blame me on that. You're right when you say you'll need to find other instruments, oh how I wish you could find some on this very forum. Wait, what.

8. ianmlp

ianmlp Newcomer Trialist

Oh, I wasn't trying to blame you. Nineko.. Sorry if it sounded like that.. your tutorial is pretty good. I actually got drums. but you're right the song doesn't sound very good with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.