Sonic 1: Hard Bosses Hack - Help

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by HackGame, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HackGame

HackGame The ROM Hacker Member

Hello, I'm HackGame. I did mention in the Sonic Hacking Contest 2014 forums that I added my hard Sonic  hack. But I wanted be like other hackers who are very awesome. I understand that Selbi and viadikcomper can't help.

Question: Can I use viadikcomper's hud? I already know it.

I need a hacker helping me privately. I will add you in the credits if you help. This may sound like I'm stupid of this. But I wanted to be the best Sonic hacker. So like show me tutorials. If you don't like to, then the Hard Bosses Hack will be canceled. I'm not trying to do it by force. Just if you want to.

2. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria Well-Known Member Member

Well. My advice to you is to try to learn things one step at a time. To get like how Vladikcomper, MarkeyJester, Me, etc... wouldn't happen overnight. It would take dedication and the will to learn. Learn how the hardware works, learn all the variables and how they are used, learn how everything works but take it one step at a time. Nobody will sit there and do your hack for you. You need to make the effort to learn to make your hack the way you really envision it.

3. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

You have to start small and humble. Work off of tutorials, examine how they work, and check out this link. Focus on doing things you know are in your power, and consider everything you wish to add that you don't know about as a challenge to your skills. Beat it, and you'll be better for it.

I'm afraid your fear is right; this does make you look stupid. The best sonic hackers know all the tutorials out there, and are bored of them. They wish to see something new, and as a result, their hacks consist of just that (markeyjester is the shining example here). If you want to add something different to your hack, or even something the same, do it yourself, and it will be unique no matter what. Also, it makes you look awesome :D

4. HackGame

I'm afraid your fear is right; this does make you look stupid. The best sonic hackers know all the tutorials out there, and are bored of them. They wish to see something new, and as a result, their hacks consist of just that (markeyjester is the shining example here). If you want to add something different to your hack, or even something the same, do it yourself, and it will be unique no matter what. Also, it makes you look awesome :D

I was thing of making a new special stage. And a hub zone, but I failed to do it on any way. Like TheBlad768. I want to be like any crazy hackers out there. And I'll try out the guide you sent me. Please reply back though.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  5. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

6. HackGame

7. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

How can you expect to be "the best Sonic hacker" if you openly ask to blatantly rip off someone else's work? More so, if you know vladikcomper can't help, why would you ask for someone to help you copy his work at no own cost?

You don't "need" a hack partner. What you need is discipline and learn this stuff on your own.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  8. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

If you keep trying to get other people to do the hard work for you, you'll never be considered a great hacker. You'll just be known as a lazy bastard who won't do anything for himself. Learn to do it yourself and stop pestering people to do it for you. There are enough guides around here to help you get started, use them.

9. HackGame

Alright, I'll do my own. Sorry though.

10. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

So, HackGame sent me a PM several days ago asking if he could use Sonic Winter Adventures HUD that he somehow got out of my game. I couldn't reply in time as I was too busy with the real life issues and the only thing I could be doing for the last week was just quickly lurking the board from time to time.

Anyway, it's good to see the issue is resolved already. And it's a very good decision of yours to go with creating your original content instead of ripping off other people's work and asking them if you could use it as if was still polite. Not to say I would try to stop you, it's up to you and I can't directly influence on your decisions, let's just say it wouldn't be a right thing to do, even for your own good.

On topic though, there is nothing bad in willing to get yourself a hack partner. Moreover, plenty of people tend to collaborate, create teams to work on a particular project. That's just great! However, in order to get people to join you, you must interest them in working for you in the first place. Draw their attention, show you're an awesome person to deal with. That's how the business is done! No one will ever help someone, who can't even help himself. I'll break this even simpler:

Something like "I can't do anything! I need someone to work for me! Please help my hack!" will never get you a good partner.

But something like this might work better: "Hello! I'm not a good hacker yet, but I've been learning hard to do *this*, *this* and *this*. Here's what I achieved over the weeks of hardworking: ... . I won't stop on improving myself and the quality of my work. However, my project needs some help with *this* and *this*. If you're interested in my project and can help me, I'd love you to join! Together, we'll make a great hack!"

If people see you're up for the hard work, you have potential and concepts that interest them, you'll be amazed how many helpers you may get.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  11. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

True.  I'm shit at doing music, and I remember asking Valley Bell years ago if he could guide me through his mid2smps as I was having issues.  Next thing I know, he's offering to do all music for me.

If I went to him and asked to convert this, or convert that, rather than asking him to guide me trough doing it myself, he'd probably say, "on your bike" =P

12. HackGame

Oh yeah, music. That's something. Thank you Selbi and vladikcomper, I'll try, whatever I can. I'll add Version 2.0 of the game later! :)

13. HackGame

By the way, I did not steal your code for the hud. I just found it myself.

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

Found it? How did you 'find' it?

15. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

...so you're basically saying, "I didn't steal it, I stole it."

Seems logical.

To put it in slightly better terms, and probably more understandable terms at that, if you found somebody else's code, then put it in your hack, that is the exact same thing as stealing.

Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  16. HackGame

While I was using SonMapEd, using artnem/hud.bin and obj21.asm. I was playing around and I found the weird unknown tiles. And when I move it, It moves the hud in the game as well. I just found it that way. (No Joke)

17. HackGame

And I'll not use the hud from him.

18. N30member

N30member non-pro user btw Member

I know where he found it: vladikcomper's Pastebin. I won't post link of it, because I'm sure that HUD code's owner'll be mad.

19. HackGame

I did not, get his bin!

20. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Okay, enough of the accusations and etc. Think HackGame has now got the message and knows not to use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.