Palmtree Panic Boss pallet glitch

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by MarceloMalaman, Dec 5, 2015.

1. MarceloMalaman

MarceloMalaman Newcomer Trialist

Well, I do not know what it is and I think I should not keep just for me. Using the debug mode I managed to do it, and I have no idea what it is:

[​IMG]

But before, let me explain What do I did. Well, really I did this bug in Windows 95, and today I tried the Sega CD. To do this, I did the Debug Mode Code, Level Select, and then I chose Palmtree Panic act 3 Good Future, with the Debug mode. I had to the boss area, then I moved to an item with Eggman Sprites, when I pressed A, the item generated another boss. Destroying the real boss, the "false" boss caused changed color to green / gray. I do not have any idea what this is and why it is happening. This is very similar to the bug Ashura. So I want to know what you think it is.

2. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Don't post about shit you "discover" in debug mode.

3. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Debug mode is a leftover developer tool that is not intended for serious use by the actual players. While it's a fun little addition, any glitches that come out of using it are not really considered as bugs by the community, since debug mode can be used to make ridiculous and pointless in game scenarios and issues that the developers would never bother dealing with, as the games own layouts and genuinely useful code never set them up. Just avoid posting about debug mode, unless something in the debug mode list implies that the level looked different in a beta (as in the HTZ seesaws in S2 betas EHZ debug list).

Devon and Crimson Neo like this.
  4. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

1. It's "palette".
    2. I'm pretty sure what's happening is that the boss uses a large amount of colours, meaning the game swaps out some of the level's colours to fit in some for the boss. When the boss is destroyed, the colours go back to the level's, creating the "glitch" you see in the screenshot. It's unrelated to the Asura glitch, which was a bug in the sprite rendering code causing an overflow in RAM, which flooded into the colour RAM buffer, causing garbage colours to be loaded. Nothing special.

MarceloMalaman likes this.
  5. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

You hit it right on the nose there with the explanation, Clownacy. Sonic CD switches out palettes quite a bit, so a glitch like this really doesn't surprise me.

6. MarceloMalaman

MarceloMalaman Newcomer Trialist

Sorry for the mistake of the palette.
    Well, I know that the bug has no connection with Ashura, I said it was like. The ashura bug occurs in the cartridge, not the console, so it is impossible to happen in the SEGA-CD. Anyway, thanks for the explanation!

7. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Uh, no. It's got nothing to do with being on a CD or cartridge. If SCD had the same bug in its BuildSprites code, you could trigger a RAM overflow there, too. From there, creating an Asura bug is simply a matter of how the RAM is arranged.

8. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Also, filtered 1280×960 screenshot, no thanks. If you feel like upscaling (which you shouldn't, by the way), keep it at 2× at most and don't use filters, please.

rika_chou likes this.
  9. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Okay uh...I'll just say that English isn't his/her first language. I can also go out on a limb here and assume that they can't understand any of the technical explanations here.

Simply put, stuff gets loaded because the original boss was destroyed. Debug mode glitches don't count as glitches. Try to have regular, small, images. The big ones are..big. And we don't like big things.

redhotsonic likes this.
  10. Burst

Burst You call this a connection? Oh, give me a break. Member

I think this is a better boss for the good future. xD