I'm New Too This Place :P

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Mr.GAMEZ, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.GAMEZ

Mr.GAMEZ Newcomer In Limbo

Attached Files:

2. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All jokes aside, your hack has quite a bit of work to be done to it.
    The palettes are indeed pretty bad, and clash heavily. Some parts are horrible to look at. Your art is alright, but it doesn't quite fit in with the general Sonic feel, if you understand my meaning. The layouts aren't too wonderful either, as you have chunks kind of spewed all about with no care in the world.

Because this is your first hack, most of this kind of stuff really is expected, so seriously, don't get yourself down. Just try to polish it up a bit, read around, and maybe get some assistance from others. We don't bite, I promise! :)

3. Devon

Devon A̸ ̴S̴ ̵C̵ ̷E̶ ̸N̸ ̴D̶ ̵E̶ ̸D̶ Member

I did a little playthough of your hack, and here are some things I would like to point out:

- Some of the character sprites don't look too bad, but they should be touched up a little. Others look like they were a bit rushed (the rolling sprites). So, I recommend you touch up your character sprites a little.

- The palettes don't exactly the greatest choice of colors. When making a palette, you want to make sure that the colors blend well with each other, and as for shades, you want to make sure that each shade fits well with each other. I recommend you look at the grass in EHZ, the shading for it is does well, but for the browns, it looks like theres a mix of regular brown and redish brown, which don't fit well together. You'll also want to be aware of the other objects and whatnot when editing palettes, so they look representable with your edits. Don't just look at one part of a level, look at everything, make sure that your palette fits with everything. It can be rather tricky, but it's possible.

- The chunk edits you have made don't flow well with the other chunks. You want to make sure that each chunks fits well together with the other chunks. Think of it as a puzzle, the chunks would be puzzle pieces. You want to make sure that they fit together, or it doesn't really look right.

- As for object placement, you want to make sure that they match up with the layout of the level. You don't want any random floating objects or any objects stuck in walls. And keep note, don't have clusters of objects either. They won't look representable and if there's too many objects in a cluster, then the game may begin to lag.

So, that's what I have to say about your hack. It isn't the worst hack, but it definitely needs improvement. And please, if you ever get stuck with something, don't feel discouraged, ask for help on the forums.

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

That reminds me of the time when I first started hacking... xD My palettes clashed just like that one, and in fact I think I thought that palette worked well in Hill Top Zone. :V Don't feel bad though, we all start from somewhere and welcome to the forum. :) If you have any questions when it comes to hacking, feel free to ask other members on the board. I haven't played your hack yet, but I'll give it a go now.

5. Mr.GAMEZ

Mr.GAMEZ Newcomer In Limbo

yeah im still working on it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.