Sonic Vision

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Furby Man, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Furby Man

Furby Man Newcomer Trialist

So, over the past couple days, I have started working on my first hack! The hack is called Sonic Vision. Sonic Vision is only in its very early stages, so there are some bugs that I need to work out. The only levels I have edited so far are: Green Hill Zone act 1, Marble Zone act 1, and Spring Yard Zone act 1. Spring Yard Zone is unbeatable since the level isn't finished yet.
    Here's some screenshots of the levels:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's the link to download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ff0dmh3zp8ukmq/Sonic Vision Demo.bin?dl=0 One last thing, please give me your honest opinion about these levels so far, and tell me any glitches you find or ideas to improve them.
    Programs used: SonLVL

Staff edit: fixed image links

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
  2. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

Alright. Lets start with Green Hill.
    Act 1 is a nice start. What needs fixing is Obj44 placements and Obj placement in some areas overall. Like in the begining there was a floating spring.
    Act 2 and 3 is unchanged?
    Marble Zone:
    It's not the best but not the worst. I think it's the best stage to come out of this hack that wasn't from the official game.
    Spring Yard Zone:
    It's unfinnished but Hell I see so many wrong obj placement.

I would suggest you look up a guide on level design. Other then that I feel like this hack was not supposed to be shown right now. I do however think this hack can be good.

3. Royameadow

Royameadow Welcome to the modern existence. Member

Apparently, the Lava Pool that is about 030 to 040 seconds into Marble Zone is not fully filled with Damage Blocks for it.
    Therefore, I must say "Sonic, you are doing it wrong!", and this was within the first 03 minutes of playing this build; chances are it is probably the same in other locations as well, but I can't hunt down every bug at this time, I recommend fixing this for the next build indeed.

Sonic Vision Demo_000.png

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

Spring Yard Zone really needs some work, like Cavequest said. The objects are floating a few pixels above the floor, there's a goggle monitor that's randomly been placed in the level, which doesn't have any function as far as I'm aware. And Sonic's start positions in each of your edited levels are incorrect, which makes Sonic float a tad bit and fall as soon as the level loads. Green Hill Zone 1 isn't too bad, didn't notice any issues there.

5. Furby Man

I've made an improved version of Sonic Vision. This version has new Green Hill Zones 1, 2, and 3, new Marble Zones 1 and 2, Finished Spring Yard Zone act 1, and an unfinished Labyrinth zone act 1. Some bugs were also fixed and the object placements in Spring Yard Zone are fixed. Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/opbjwdamjrmznai/Sonic Vision DEMO 2.bin?dl=0

6. AbyssalLeopard

AbyssalLeopard Well-Known Member Member

Played this really quickly. I'll sum up my overall feelings about this - it's good for a beginner you are, I dare say it's a great start, but there are things you should work on.

Green Hill Zone was OK, mostly, save Green Hill Zone 2, which seemed... quite linear to me. Perhaps it would be nice to have more pathways and making the level more varied... Have this in mind so that your levels aren't dull.

Marble Zone... I liked some ideas here and there, but there is very little use of gimmicks. If you want a level to be entertaining, it's necessary for it to have its gimmicks. Remember, those are the objects that give a level its "identity", if you know what I mean.

Spring Yard 1 suffers a similar problem, something like Marble's, just that... much lesser. You also have to watch out for broken chunks, I noticed a couple of them in this level.

Overall, you should also be careful with the chunks you use's collision. In one of Marble Zone's acts, for example, I was running until I fell where I wasn't supposed to in the end of the level. Good start, keep improving.

7. Furby Man

I have been working all day to improve Sonic Vision as much as I can. Many bugs are fixed and the zones have a new look. The demo is now playable up until Spring Yard Zone act 3, which is unfinished. The zones are also renamed, although they aren't implanted in the game yet. The new zones now are: Snow Hill Zone (Green Hill Zone), Dungeon Zone (Marble Zone), Pinball City Zone (Spring Yard Zone), Crystal Mines Zone (Labyrinth Zone), Shimmer City Zone (Star Light Zone), and Mechanical Menace Zone (Scrap Brain Zone). A few other improvements are Sonic being colored more vibrantly, and fixed bugs. Here's a download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpo69uk6p3707sm/Sonic Vision DEMO 3.bin?dl=0

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

Snow Hill Zone's palm trees still have a dark shade of green in them, which looks out of place. Pinball City Zone still doesn't look 100% complete, but it looks much better than it did in the first demo. Also while playing Dungeon Zone Act 2, I got stuck in a lava pit. (See image bellow.)
    [​IMG]

AbyssalLeopard likes this.
  9. Furby Man

ooo you're right. Thank you for pointing those out!

10. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Could I make a suggestion? I haven't tried this yet as it seems incomplete. And I don't necessarily mean the levels have not be changed yet, I mean the ones you have, have bugs or needs improving. Do you make sure to test your hack yourself? 9/10 (at least for me), I'll have re position an object, or make sure the chunks connect properly, making sure there isn't any unfairness(dick moves) in the level. If you play it, and it feels comfortable then you could have a winner.

I'd also suggest not releasing the hack every time, best thing is to finish what your working on first and then show it off. Also: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL204676A62E9C58E7 Maybe my guide will help you with any level editing tips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.