Basic Questions and Answers Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by Malevolence, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Baraksha

Baraksha Well-Known Member Member

so I made my own level title cards for my hack and for some reason my new title screen from the looks of it pushing the limitations a bit because it works fine when you enter a stage but when sonic passes an act the title card seem to cause some graphicals issues and certain item to disapear and my title card isn't that much bigger then the original

2. Ashuro

Ashuro Anti-Cosmic Metal Of Death Member

Even if your title card isn't bigger than the original, i think you have to change the VRAM adress for the mappings, and put the size of your new title card.
    Maybe i say bullshit...

3. Baraksha

I don't think that it is the reason and it doesn't make scense because I actually believe it or not am using even less different tiles then the original title card, the only thing that I think was increased is how many tiles are loaded on screen because I am reusing a lot of the same tiles

4. Ashuro

Then, nevermind, i have saying bullshit, like i think :D

FOR ME NOW!

For my Wood Zone (8th zone), i have the LZ boss (i don't why because i have delete it from the "Resize_WZ") and the boss endless load, appears to infinity and cause the game SLOW DOWN like never.

I have looked in the Resize_LZ code what can cause this because it's strange, this never happens in Frozen Island (the 7th zone) who have the GHZ boss.

5. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

EDIT: Neeeeevermind

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Ashuro likes this.
  6. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Can you post what you have in Resize_WZ3? You might not have deleted the entire part where the boss is loaded.

Did you make sure all the mappings for Obj3A (the end card object) are correct? They are in sonic1.asm mixed with the mappings for Obj34 (the title card object) but you can extract them so you can use them with SonMapED or Flex.

7. Ashuro

For sure:

Resize_WZ3:
    cmpi.w #$1CA0,($FFFFF700).w
    bcs.s locretz_6F62
    cmpi.w #$600,($FFFFF704).w
    bcc.s locretz_6F62
    bsr.w SingleObjLoad
    bne.s locz_6F4A
    ; ===========================================================================
    locretz_6F62:
    rts

8. Baraksha

yes, that's exactly what I did

9. Ashuro

I have a video of the problem

I have the fast forward enabled, but the game SLOW DOWN when the boss appears more than 3 times.

And at the very right side, i have put a yellow spring, i don't know if this is the boss bug that make the spring disappear but it's strange.

I have put another boss routine to the Resize_WZ3, but it's the same, the LZ boss endless appears, and the yellow spring and the prison capsule disappear.

10. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

That's incredibly incorrect. In fact, each sprite piece has a VRAM pointer (in VRAM AND in S1, S2 and S3's mappings format!!!), and usually they are used as the offset in VRAM in Sonic games. There, however, are many exceptions to this! Sprites may use different line, and even some sprites have their VRAM offsets in the mappings themselves. Also sprite mappings are of course stored in VRAM. Furthermore bringing up VRAM address here is an actually valid question; its completely plausible the issue with the title cards is indeed related to VRAM.

Ashuro likes this.
  11. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana banana Member

Well then, I really should keep my mouth shut around here. I'm pretty sure this is the second time I've told someone something wrong. :\
    Thanks for clearing that up, though.

Ashuro likes this.
  12. Ashuro

So for my problem i haven't fixed it but there is bizarre things:
    _In WZ3 objects are not loaded.
    _After WZ2, instead of going to WZ3, the game comes to FIZ3.
    _The LZ boss is endlessly loaded and cause the WZ3 slow down, even when i remove the boss load routine from Resize_WZ3.

As I know that I will not find the solution, while I looked everywhere like a madman:
    Into LoadPLC, LoadPLC2, PLC files under _inc, Resize_Lz3, Resize_WZ3, Obj77... I have also changed the WZ3 lvl_size.bin line but don't change anything.
    I have also looked at my backup from yesterday, and in a clean disassembly with "ExamDiff" but i haven't figured it out.

So if anyone have an idea, i want it, i tried by myself but still can't.

13. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

You know, this is EXACTLY why I said to go and study how the code in the games work before jumping headfirst into it, because once again you've made a stupid error by not understanding how the code works. You deleted these 2 lines from your copied code, which go in right after the label before the compare:

tst.b ($FFFFF742).w
    bne.s locret_6F64

Now, ask yourself, what do these lines actually do? They're not just there for the fun of it, and simply tracing the code will point out the obvious. $F742 is a ROUTINE COUNTER. By incrementing it at label loc_6F4A by 2, it means that when the code tries to read the above 2 lines for a second time, it will skip over the boss loading code. Therefore your boss will only load once. Again, a simple search in the Community Hacking Guide would have pointed out the use of this RAM address and would have made it painfully obvious. I'm getting so sick of this lack of effort when it comes to fixing these things, it really isn't hard to use the information provided in the Community Hacking Guide, it's there for a reason. I'll say it again, and make it clearer this time.

STUDY THE CODE STRUCTURE AND LEARN HOW THINGS WORK AND WHAT EACH LINE DOES BEFORE ALTERING OR DELETING THEM.

Pacca, Soldaten, Misinko and 4 others like this.
  14. Ashuro

I'm sorry, and in fact i know what these lines do, i have added them after i have see what they do.
    But even when i have added these lines, the problem still persist.
    I have also tried to port the GHZ boss, just by changing the routines and pointers and the same.

Don't be sick, damn! I have search all my afternoon on the SSRG, Sonic Retro, on my sonic1.asm, on a clean disassembly ect...

I'll say it again too: This is what i'm doing.
    I'll end up by cancel my hack, it will never be ready for the 9 with all that I have to adjust.

15. StephenUK

StephenUK Working on a Quackshot disassembly Member

Being perfectly honest, I'm starting to think you're beyond help. You seem to change so much without actually knowing what you're doing, that your issues could literally be anywhere.

Also, I don't understand your big fixation with the hacking contest. If you're considering cancelling your hack just because you can't hit the deadline, then maybe ROM hacking isn't for you. It's supposed to be for fun, but you seem to take it way too seriously and are ridiculously overemotional about it all.

Finally, searching for a fix for something for a few hours is hardly much effort at all. People here have spent days, sometimes even weeks, researching the cause of a bug. Problems don't just throw solutions at you in a couple of hours, you really need to study all your changes and work out what could be missing or wrong.

B. Comet, Pacca, Soldaten and 2 others like this.
  16. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

I say just take Wood Zone out of the contest version, in all honesty, it doesn't look like much right now, also that palette is way too dark. I don't really see a reason for you adding more zones, not all of your other zones are polished yet anyway, Id focus more on those and fix some stuff up, (especially some of those palettes) for the contest instead of worrying about adding another zone. You only have two days left and I don't think rushing WZ is a good idea especially since its already considered an unfinished level.

17. Ashuro

Rom hacking is my second biggest passion. I gave everything on this rom hack, I want to share at all costs because this is the last that I would do, i think.
    It's been eight months i have started, trying many things (with my knowledge limits and your help). No one can see it, i think, but I have learned a lot of things and improve myself.

Everynights before going to bed i read some tutorials, and i know almost all the RAM adress and object variables (i can write piece of codes by myself).
    But i have some problems with some commands (like and, or, lsl, the "pc" ect...) but everytime i go on the internet. Every time I come here it's a last resort.
    Apparently my level and knowledge are low despite this. So i'm really think that rom hacking isn't for me.
    But through it I'll start programing studies in a school, in a few weeks, rom hacking makes me want to become developer.

Actually, i want to finish my hack properly and focus myself on other projects.
    I search for hours but i remember Natsumi said she had search for weeks, months... then it encourages me to continue.

EDIT: Joenick, this is not the real wood zone on this video (palettes for example isn't definitive).
    And i don't care, i want a zone into woods. I have into desert, into arctic, into city, so i want a wood!
    Anyway, even if i leave wood zone aside, there is many bugs i can't figure out.

EDIT2: I can put WZ if i can delete the third act. I'll try.

18. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

If you think you can figure out this glitch and finish up the level then by all means fine, get frustrated, I don't care anymore I'm done helping you and if you dont knock it off with that attitude other people may follow suit.

19. Ashuro

Another note on my attitude? What did I do wrong?

20. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

Your "need to have it now" attitude is what you're doing wrong. You cannot put your vision on hold for a little bit in order to have a presentable product for the public. You simply refuse to exclude Wood Zone from your hack in favor of a fare less stable build. You've been advised to exclude Wood Zone in your hack twice now, and you're too stubborn to do so. You don't even have to remove it, you could just hide it like StephenUK said. Yet you think you're short-changing those playing the hack by not having it in there. Which do you think people would rather see, a broken level or no level at all? You can always roll back to the version with the level implemented if you have it backed up (which you should be backing up for major changes like implementing an entire level), so what's the deal? You want a playable build for the contest right? So put your pride aside, remove the level, and be done with it for a bit. You've got a week after the deadline to make adjustments. If you can figure out the issue in that time, resubmit it. But as for now, let it lie.

And another thing you're doing wrong is you're trying to tackle things above your head. I get it, you're ambitious. You want to do things that are super complex, and that's fine. But before you can walk, you have to learn to crawl. I can't just go out and microsolder components to a motherboard before figuring out how to solder in the first place. I also can't go out, and rewire an entire system before learning about the basic components of circuit flow and electrical engineering first. Baby steps, mate. Have the patience to learn how to the simple stuff before you dive into the deeper stuff that's way over your head.

pixelcat, Ashuro, Pacca and 1 other person like this.