How do I add the Homming Attack to Sonic 1?

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by DarkexMW, Mar 26, 2021.

1. DarkexMW

DarkexMW werhog Member

Hi, I'm something new in disassembleys hacking, I know the basics like removing speedcap, changing music, etc.
    but I have the doubt of: how to put the homming attack?
    thanks to those who respond to this post

2. Green Hills

Green Hills Newcomer Trialist

3. DarkexMW

DarkexMW werhog Member

With ¨Then, put this in Sonic's code: ¨ you are referring to creating an .asm in the _incObj folder, right?

4. DarkexMW

DarkexMW werhog Member

Because I created a Sonic_JumpDash.asm edit:sorry for my english lmao

5. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Please don't double post. You could have just edited what you said, in the previous post you made.

DeltaWooloo likes this.
  6. DarkexMW

DarkexMW werhog Member

sorry i wanna delete the post but i dont know how delete the last post

7. Kurk

Kurk Oh Yeah Member

@Green Hills This is not code for a homing attack. It is actually just code for a jump-dash.

Regarding implementing the homing attack, as far as I know there are no public guides to implement the homing attack into Sonic 1 that do not use stolen code. However, I believe Vladikcomper had homing attack code freely available at one point, but it lacked instructions on how to implement it. I can't seem to find it right now, but if I do I'll update this post with a link to it.

ProjectFM likes this.
  8. DarkexMW

DarkexMW werhog Member

He suspected it was not The Homing Attack since he put air dash in the code and no homming attack
    anyway thanks for saying that if you see it you will send it

9. Scrap Sorra

Scrap Sorra Well-Known Member Member

I would suggest avoiding adding a homing attack/air dash to any hack because it's really overpowered in 2d sonic and breaks the game unless you design levels with the homing attack/air dash in mind. The homing attack on its own isn't that bad, but if there's no enemies nearby and you have a jump dash that really breaks the game. Sonic Advance 2 did the homing attack well by making it so if you weren't nearby anything that could be locked on to you'd have the insta shield. Alternatively, you could have something like the golden shield from sonic 3D blast, but those options require a lot more coding knowledge. As you said you were a newcomer I'd recommend you keep your ambition in check and just make something on the simplistic side to learn the game so subsequent hacks can be even better

10. Green Hills

Green Hills Newcomer Trialist

I tried using Selbi’s code from the tutorials archive and it ended up having the controls and functions all messy.

11. Angel X

Angel X Well-Known Member Member

12. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Yeah, I'd advise to not use that code anymore, it's over a decade old. It should work if you do everything right, but since the formatting broke, that might be a lot more annoying to do. I should fix that guide one day.

Furthermore, and this is not the answer you'd like to hear, but implementing your own Jumpdash is actually a really good learning experience. All you really need to know is where to put the code when Sonic is in the air after jumping, how to check for button presses, and how to set velocity for Sonic.

Homing Attack is obviously a bit more involved, but that, too, can be done quite easily if you understand a bit of trigonometry and how objects are stored in RAM.

Where possible, try to think about the journey rather than the destination. Anything you'll bite your teeth to do yourself is experience you can eventually use to do even crazier stuff. Only following guides or using pre-done features will not teach you anything, which is fine if you only care about artistic aspects, but chances you want to do a bit more than a simple level pack for Sonic 1.