Sonic The Hedgehog 1995 New Version

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DarkexMW, May 2, 2021.

1. DarkexMW

DarkexMW werhog Member

Yes, DarkexSS again, in this post i wanna release the new version of Sonic The Hedgehog 1995 (before called S4 Classic Remix)
    This version includes
    -Homing attack (thx dewar for the github code)
    -Spin Dash
    -Better level design
    -Some new music in final zone and credits
    I update the post for updates in the game
    It is all, Good bye!
    (Level design incomplete in all zones except emerald coast and some acts for Castle Ruins)
    Edit 1:Sorry for the stolen content, it was put by a member of my team and he dont he did not tell me who was the sources. In the next update i replace it, sorry.
    I replace the rom for a new rom without stolen content soon
    Credits here
    Chron d and Dewar: Make SMPS (and Jubbalub for make the title screen and level select smps)
    TheDarkParadox,Sonic pro1 and me for sprite edit
    TheDarkParadox and me (My level design is trash XD) for level design
    Me, dewar and paradox for put stuff like spindash,peelout,extended camera,megapcm for github and more
    The sprites are maked by Kris
    vgm2smps made by Ivan_Yo
    Special thanks for SSRG and Sonic Retro tutorials

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  2. shadow saturn 6343

shadow saturn 6343 Newcomer Trialist

The hack is very good, the level design is a bit complicated in some areas but it is ideal, I will be waiting for you to finish it completely good job

3. Kurk

Kurk Oh Yeah Member

Nice stolen title screen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trance, Monitor, Crimson Neo and 5 others like this.
  4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

There seems to be many uncredited things here. Some of the music sounds identical to some I've heard in other hacks, yet no sources are mentioned.

Also, I advise you to add screenshots or something, people don't like blindly downloading things.

5. Scrap Sorra

Scrap Sorra Well-Known Member Member

I'm gonna put it bluntly, this hack sucks. The level design is horrible, the art changes are minimal and still don't look good, the palettes don't actually look that bad but they're not good either. The music ports are just okay, the only one I actually like is LZ's music. I know it's not supposed to be finished but MZ's level design in particular is absolutely horrendous. Act 1 has really nice death pits, Act 2 has the player go in lava which wouldn't be bad if all the other lava pits in the zone didn't hurt you. GHZ's level design is terrible as well, special shoutouts to the numerous extremely cheap death pits, like the one at the start of act 1 and after the act 3 boss. Overall, I suggest you take a cold shower, stare at yourself in the mirror, and don't steal assets, but on a less harsh note try studying the level design of other classic sonic games or look up level design tutorials on youtube if they exist for sonic games. The hack isn't absolutely unsalvageable but starting all over again may be beneficial to you. Also, get rid of the homing attack + air dash it makes the game waaay to easy.

Deactivated Account likes this.
  6. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

So much has been said above from stolen content. We, as a community, disregard stolen content/content used without permission within ROM hacks, so I advise you to take it down for the next update. And also, it is best to add screenshots as it grabs the reader attention.

As for the game:

• Music is decent here, although some songs are from other sources and other composers. If you did use music from different sources, why didn't you credit them?
    • "Better spindash" - More like better roll boosting. (that was a terrible pun) You seem only to follow the first half of part 1 to port the spindash to Sonic 1. It doesn't feel great at all, in my opinion, not to mention you are forced to use it in some parts of the level. And speaking of level design...
    • The level design isn't that great. For example, in GHZ1, you expect the player to gain a lot of speed for both the loop and breakable blocks. That is pretty unfair, in my opinion, even for a first level. There are also cut chunks in some places, with some having their art corrupt (I think you used the ending sequence chunks). Also, can I take a look at this?
    • 342342377.PNG
    • This doesn't even fit at all. You could make a custom chunk here, which some custom chunks I saw are well made.
    • The title screen doesn't look great, and I think the stolen art has been said above.
    • The peelout isn't needed in the hack, and you go incredibly fast, not knowing if you will get hit or not. Not to mention the peelout sounds use PCM. Take this as a note to everyone: try not to use PCMs during gameplay. Trust me. It's unclear when the main music is playing and sounds horrible if you don't optimise those vblank routines when DMA is transferring. There is a tutorial to fix that if you're using MegaPCM.
    • I'm going to sound nitpicky but the CD jump sound doesn't sound great and speaking of CD stuff, why are everyone and their dogs so obsessed with the extended camera? It plays with your eyes a lot and just feels completely off.
    • The falling animation uses one of the unused sprites, which looks alright, not particularly great.
    • I like the palettes here, although Sonic's palette blends in with GHZ's background
    • I'm going to sound nitpicky, but doesn't the ring art look like Sonic Megamix's ring art?
      red.PNG
    Overall, I'm rating this hack a 3.5/10. Don't get me wrong; some good sides, such as some of the music and palettes; however, I see some areas with stolen content and some not fitting the game well. As TheInvisibleSun said, crediting people is a must, especially with music; otherwise, people will believe you stole assets from different hacks. Try and learn to understand level design and Sonic hacking in general, and you'll do well. I was considering showing an example of some of my work to get an idea of how it flows, but I may be derailing off-topic and probably be accused of advertising. However, if you want to see some examples of my work, let me know. I'll send you a message with some screenshots and explain how everything works. However, I advise looking around the internet and tutorials and MarkeyJester's 68k tutorial to help you get into ROM hacking deeply.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  7. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

re: music

Only one of my songs has been used in this (entry $06). Note that some of the custom songs have broken drums because he didn't fix the PCM indexes.

8. shadow saturn 6343

whoever wants from these points
    -By better spindash I meant that I put invincibility, not animations
    -the credits for the music are in another post I made of the hack called s4 classic remix
    -the stolen art PLEASE, but it was another member of the team, I'm going to change it
    -I should put a better speedcap
    -the paddles will change

Trash this thread please

9. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

Please again stolen content!. Just no, stolen content is very bad. This is very disgusting my friend, I suggest make own content, and get out of using these stuff.
    What you mean with this?. Seriously, if you want to make a decent hack, at least keep in mind the basic concept. The Title Screen is from S1HL, I think you need to learn deeply this. Platform with spring, and incomplete level are not funny to play, making a hack without own ideas is not good.

10. shadow saturn 6343

It wasn't darkexSS's fault, it was actually because a member of the remix team didn't know that those sprites were stolen, and obviously the levels are incomplete. It's a demo is not complete.

11. Deactivated Account

Before posting here, you must think what you doing, this brings a big problem both for you and your team, when you say you don't know where you got the stolen arts or stolen content. There are rules here, read it and be sure to follow the Forum rules. Also you need to spell right the nickname how is my friend, i.e: "DarkerSS" no "darkexSS", use the right grammar to understand much better that you want to say. So the next time make the things very well, and be careful what you accept to use in your hack. A demo must be have a decent level design and must be stable before to show here, don't worry about these mistakes, don't make again guys.

12. JerTH

JerTH Newcomer Trialist

Joker, I think DarkexSS is like a nickname he likes, not a misspelling of "DarkerSS"...

13. Deactivated Account

Yes, but here the main issue is the stolen content, but well, we are disagree with these things here, just let's go ahead, and they don't make this mistake again.

14. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

Just saw Razor & Zenon video of your project and I've noticed this hack uses two old SMPS I've made around 2016/2017 (MZ and Special Stage ones - Bridge Zone and Toot Toot Sonic Warrior), I'm fine with being not credited here, because I don't like some of my old work. I won't judge level design, because I wasn't good at that too and I have low requirements, when it comes to difficulty and alternative paths in Sonic games and hacks as long as ring system exist in gameplay (and variety in level design). But I'm sad that this hack has edited GHZ and MZ only without touching tiles artwork... again. I don't remember how many Green Hills with different palette only changes exist until now (art-wise), but for me it's too much.

15. DarkexMW

DarkexMW werhog Member

Sorry for the stolen content, more info in the edit of the post.