Sonic Project EggLand

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by Matt, Jun 14, 2021.

Tags:
?

Does it need more work?

1. YES

96.3%
  2. NO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MAYBE

3.7%
  1. Matt

Matt Active Member Member

Hello everyone.
    Today i'm going to show you an hack which i'm working on and it's called "Sonic Project Eggland". This demo include two new zones:

- Night Hill (Based on the version seen in the Toy Tokyo Demo of Sonic 1)
    - Ancient Hills

This hack is for testing purposes, as well it is work in progress. Feel free to test it, ok? Comments about the work that i've done are welcome. Feel free to compile the poll form above.

s1built_004.png s1built_006.png s1built_002.png
    s1built_003.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Deactivated Account likes this.
  2. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

Okay, you need to saw the original level design and objects position in some places, but the palette is good, that chunk foreground piece in the cascade in the background is wrong, maybe you should saw the art and that.
    I can help to you with level design, about grammar, I can help a bit, It all depends on you, sir.
    Greetings!
    Mr. Joker 27 Music Productions.

Matt likes this.
  3. Matt

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  4. Giovanni

Giovanni It's Joe-vanni, not Geo-vanni. Member

This hack clearly needs work.

The level design features loads of questionable decisions: improper use of Obj44 (The wall object in Green Hill), random monitors that don't serve an actual purpose, nonfunctional Eggman monitors placed in spots that would be considered dickish if these monitors were functional, the use of foreground chunks in the background (mistake that was made far too many times in the past by many before you and that never once looked good) and whatnot.
    There are also two things that caught my eye. First off, the fact that the motobugs have been sped up to an unreasonable amount. Please do not do that. Under any circumstance. No human being has the required reflexes to react to enemies this fast. And second, this:

Sonic Project Eggland000.png

Notice the pattern shown in the red square. How come every time Sonic comes in contact with this pattern, he is forced to roll? Have you messed around with some code in ways you should not have, or have you changed the order of chunks in a way you should not have? Because I see no valid reason as to why this should happen.

Overall, a really bad hack. I would dare say broken, even.

5. Matt

Well, i prefer adding custom 16x16 blocks to the 256x256 chunks, instead of using obj44, so i will fix this in future updates.

Yeah, i haven't configured the eggman monitor already, it will be fully functional in future updates.

You know, i hadn't much ideas while i was ideating the background, so i will redesign it in future updates.

I will fix it's speed in the next update.

I've noticed this bug after creating a new chunk, i first thought "it's a bug, i can fix this after removing the chunk" but when i saw that the bug remained in the game i was like "oh no, what i've done!" I will try something to fix it. For now stay tuned for any update, Bye.

6. Giovanni

If it can be of help, I may know what you've done and how to help you.

My best guess is that you've created a chunk and placed it before the chunk that now forces you to roll.

You see, in Sonic 1's code, the chunks that make you roll and the loops are determined by the game's code, and will not change automatically if you change the chunk order.

Code:
    LoopTileNums:

;         loop    loop    tunnel    tunnel

dc.b    $B5,    $7F,    $1F,    $20    ; Green Hill
        dc.b    $7F,    $7F,    $7F,    $7F    ; Labyrinth
        dc.b    $7F,    $7F,    $7F,    $7F    ; Marble
        dc.b    $AA,    $B4,    $7F,    $7F    ; Star Light
        dc.b    $7F,    $7F,    $7F,    $7F    ; Spring Yard
        dc.b    $7F,    $7F,    $7F,    $7F    ; Scrap Brain
        zonewarning LoopTileNums,4
        dc.b    $7F,    $7F,    $7F,    $7F    ; Ending (Green Hill)

even
    Notice the last two numbers in the "Green Hill" line. These two lines mean that chunks with ID $1F and $20 are chunks that force you to roll.

By creating a chunk before the glitched chunk (which I'll now call chunk $1E), you moved it one spot forward, causing it to become one of the two chunks that forces you to roll.

The easy way to fix this bug is to add 1 to the last two numbers in the "Green Hill" line.

This mistake also moved the two "loop" chunks one spot ahead.

Notice the first number in the "Green Hill" line. It says "$B5". Subtract "80" from this number, and you get $35, which should be the first of the two loop chunks.
    The reason why "$80" was added is so that the game could point to one chunk and the next.

Since you moved the first of the two loop chunks to "$36", loops in Green Hill stopped working. (Could this be the reason why you completely removed that one loop in stock GHZ3's layout?)

To fix this, also add one to the first number in Green Hill's line.

But where do you find this code, you may ask?

If you are using a Github disassembly, you can find it in "_inc\LevelSizeLoad & BgScrollSpeed.asm".
    By default, Github's disassembly will have you work with REV01 when you're hacking Sonic 1, so you may want to edit the "(JP1)" variant. (Edits made to the JP1 variant of a file will only apply to REV01+ builds, while edits made to the non-JP1 variants will only apply to REV00 builds.)
    If you are using a Hivebrain disassembly, however, you'll need to go to "misc\loopnums.bin" and edit the content with a Hex editor.

If you are using SonLVL, also remember to edit the loop number in the .INI file. it's in "SonLVL INI Files" and it's called SonLVL.ini.
    The part you want to edit is "loopchunks". Add 1 to that.

From now on, when you add new chunks to your level, I recommend you add them after every single chunk. This will prevent future mistakes.

7. Matt

Ok, thanks giovanni.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  8. Matt

NEW RELEASE:
    This new release includes:
    - New Sonic Sprites
    - New GHZ Background and Layout
    - New music for MZ

TO-DO:
    - Start working on MZ
    - Improving stuff here and there

This is Sonic Project Eggland v.1.02

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2021
  9. Giovanni

I... really do not understand what you were trying to do with this update.
    The new background looks straight up nonsensical. You just used existing GHZ tiles and shuffled them around without an apparent reason or rhyme. The level is just too short (with the final slope to the pit being corrupted), the Title Screen is completely ruined for some reason, it almost feels like this update was just... put out there.
    Even the previous version is superior! That's how bad this update is.
    You seriously need to go back to the drawing board and figure out what makes things tick. This update is a complete mess.

10. Deactivated Account

Deactivated Account Well-Known Member Exiled

I suggest keep your Discord link in private much better, and you need more time on this.
    I know that your intention to show an update is your goal here, but not my friend, there are things that are not right. I see certain bugs here, the title screen needs to be fixed, among other things, you rushed to post another update.
    You need to work more on this, be serious, man, about showing an update, don't make quick edits, and be aware that are you doing please, because this takes time to learn and you need to practice.
    There is time to work and improve everything, but I think it is not yet time to launch an update, this requires a lot of dynamics and skill, a stable hack must be done through tests and fixing bugs. That is the goal, that is the way to practice, learn and saw, all here we started like you, so this is my tip. :)

TheInvisibleSun likes this.