Sonic the Hedgehog KAI 改 (W.I.P Rom Hack of Sonic 1)

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by FeroTheInugami, Aug 13, 2023.

1. FeroTheInugami

FeroTheInugami It's in the Blockchain Member

Previously, in alpha state, here it comes! The Sonic the Hedgehog Kai Project!

ReadySonic_000.png ReadySonic_001.png ReadySonic_002.png ReadySonic_003.png ReadySonic_004.png ReadySonic_005.png ReadySonic_006.png

Sonic the Hedgehog Kai is a new upcoming project made by the genius Fero the Inugami, me! Heh! Athis is a new version of Sonic 1 with new features but more original, similar to Sonic 1 Megamix, and with the intention of homage it's legacy. It will later feature new level design.

SCD Extended Camera by Nat the Porcupine
    Inproved Spin Dash*
    Super Peelout*
    New Special Stage Physic
    Wall Jump*
    Chaotix Warm Palette*
    Sonic 2 Springs (including Diagonal Springs, not in game, but they're on the archive)
    7th Chaos Emerald by Speems;
    Smooth Rings (by Devon/Ralakimus (to me, known as "Our Sailor Moon talking about drugs" lmao))
    New songs¨¨
    Insta-Shield and Elemental Shields

*(thanks to Mercury)
    ¨¨ (thanks to VGMlist, Nineko, MainMemory, Clownacy and ValleyBell)

Fire Shield's invunerability doesn't work
    Not sync DAC samples in Sailor Moon's Stage 1 (Street) song
    Bugged PSG in Dragon Ball Z: Buyuu Retsuden song used (Stage/Battle - 5)
    And none DAC samples in Like a Wind from Revenge of Shinobi
    Mute SYZ Boss (should use Sonic 3 Miniboss theme)
    Due to a code to play music, the game doesn't work in other emulators, because itcrashes. It wasn't tested on the real hardware. I have a Mega Drive/Genesis here, but it's not repaired.
    Going to Ending Sequence crashes the game.

Creator:
    FeroTheInugami

Thanks to:
    Hivebrain (for the original Disassembly)
    Mercury (for Ready Sonic)
    Pu7o
    Tweaker
    Natsumi
    Ralakimus (or Devon)
    RetroKoH
    kramlat
    MarkeyJester
    RedHotSonic
    CrashMaHoney
    Clownacy
    Flamewing
    DelayHacks
    VladikComper
    MainMemory
    DeltaWoollo
    IsoKilo
    LuigiXHero
    Pacca
    CuckyDev
    Nineko
    Cinossu
    Giovanni
    Selbi
    Fragag
    TheInvisibleSun
    Puto
    Nat the Porcupine
    FraGag
    Lighting

LEVEL LAYOUT DESIGNER WANTED: IF YOU WANT TO HELP, CONTACT ME. ;)

AGAIN, due to another mistake of mine and to not get into trouble, I need to delete the download. It will coming soon next time with more updates, and no breaking rules. Sorry for bother

Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  2. Speems

Speems Well-Known Member Member

Address error when starting the game on Blastem. Make sure you have an "even" underneath the MegaPCM include line much like the Music81 entry does, it'll go a long way. And similarly, there's a fix for that Sonic 2 level select to make sure it actually works on said emulator and on real hardware.

3. FeroTheInugami

I added it, before, and still I get. When I comment the lines on Level_PlayBGM, the games plays normal:

Code:
    Kos_Z80:
                    include    'MegaPCM.asm'
                    even

4. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

When testing your hack, it's best practice to test on other emulators, especially ones that emulate 68000 address errors (Regen, Genesis Plus GX, BlastEm). Kega Fusion's okay for gameplay testing, but for more technical stuff, it's not the best.

I went ahead and tracked down the error myself, and it seems that right before the title card is loaded, you write a word value into RAM address $FFFF91. The 68000 has a limitation in which you can only write words and longwords on EVEN addresses, so whatever variable you have assigned there needs to be adjusted to an even address instead.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
    DeltaWooloo likes this.
  5. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

You spelt my username wrong; it's DeltaWooloo.

Ok, so I just played that hack and I didn't find it anything special. I commend you for making progress to your ROM hack however you haven't really understood how a Sonic ROM hack works as a whole and rather added every assets and generally, makes it seem like you're adding everything and hoping it sticks, which sadly is not the case with what I just played (also btw, I don't know how or where you got the SonicRetro splash screen but that wasn't meant to be distributed to public as Cinossu only really made it for Tech Members and higher so please remove it before you get into more trouble with the higher ups).

However, what I'll say is, I hope the assets and tutorials you used helped you give a better understanding of the different aspects that make a Sonic ROM hack as a whole and would encourage you to make something new or unique (heck give a twist to what you added; you'll learn a lot more if you toy around with it)

I don't want to stop you for your hack but if you really want to make sustainal progress in your hack, I recommend restarting your hack in a fresh new disassembly and add assets in moderation (i.e. don't add everything, only add thing you think will benefit your project). Or if not, remove a few things you don't need and try and learn how to make an original Sonic ROM hack (and rather than asking people to do the levels for you, how about you give it a spin and see what works)

Again, not trying to come of as me trying to despise your work, I think it wasn't worth releasing the hack where it's just Sonic 1 but everything copied online. Again, what you learnt from your time here is definitely a first step, all you need to do is apply your knowledge into a new and fun hack. And personally, I look forward to seeing your next release and how you learnt and improved since you started your project.

6. FeroTheInugami

Sorry for that and the use of Sonic Retro logo. Even I don’t remember how I got this. I will remove it. And about an original project, Sonic 1 Kai won’t be one of the SHC hacks. I made it just for fun, and to show the improvements in Sonic 1 frames using CD and 2 Beta ones, like extended Sonic 1 frames. SPOLIERS: I’m doing a MSU-MD Sonic 3 Complete (Sonic 3 with the & Knuckles elements but without S&K elements and fixes) that I made myself, without copy and paste. This will be one of the hacks from SHC.