Tails in Sonic 1 v2.0

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by puto, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puto

puto Well-Known Member Member

Right, since drx's code for Tails in Sonic 1 was very messy and hard to manage, I recently decided to re-do the entire hack from scratch. I've finished it, just in time for the new year, so releasing the damn thing. Highlights:

The only major flaw I'm aware of is that there's no good ending; This is due to the fact that I don't have any ending sprites for Tails, and I refuse to load Sonic or placeholder sprites. Special thanks to nineko for testing and giving me a hand with the level select, and to oerg866 for testing on hardware. Link here. A few screenshots:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

In case you missed it above, link Link here. Have fun!

P.S. I'm hoping for this to be the last release of Tails in Sonic 1. However, that doesn't mean that I'll let bugs slide; If you find any bug, post it here, and if I manage to fix it, there WILL be a bugfix release. Here's to hoping that's not necessary though :(

2. Yuzu

Yuzu WATCH OUT YOU'RE GONNA CRASH Member

Looks very good so far, How did you get in the 512kb limit?

3. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Another good hack from you, Puto. I've noticed some things that I should bring to attention.

[​IMG]

In Final Zone, after skidding a few times a bit of dust will appear far away from Tails.

[​IMG]

After holding a button after Eggman escapes before the ending, this is one of many crazy things you can get, ignore the red rings, those were due to debug mode.

Despite those bugs that I noticed, it was a very good "in before 2008" hack.

4. puto

puto Well-Known Member Member

Removed all beta leftovers, recompressed the main level art as kosinski (which has a much higher compression ratio), and downsampled the SEGA sound to 11khz, among other things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.