How I got started in Sonic Hacking, and the path to how I am now

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by RobiWanKenobi, May 2, 2024.

1. RobiWanKenobi

RobiWanKenobi Python Developer and ASM enthusiast Member

Firstly, I am not quitting, I am still actively working on Sonic: Project Revenge, however, I feel that this may be useful for people to read.

Early 2022
    At this point, I was honestly kind of a piece of shit person

I decided to download the sonic 2 disasm, the AMPS one though. I started working on this hack called Sonic Overclocked. This came after a few trial hacks I'd made to try to learn this stuff by messing around with the code, and not really getting anywhere.

Early on, this was just Sonic & Tails with ports of their S3 sprites (Tails didn't have his tails, and they were both just blatantly using the S3 player palette)

A while in development, I had asked on the Sonic Retro discord server for someone to tell me how to port the double jump into Sonic 2. Aerosol had told me to try to use the existing jump routine, and make a double jump out of it. I did do that, and after a bunch of trickery, I did get it to work.

A while after this, I did figure out how to put the peelout in Sonic 2 by messing with the spindash routine until I got the wanted effect.

This was before I figured out how to put the animation in for the peelout, but before I released the build to SHC, I did implement that, I also fixed collision issues with the double jump

Speaking of coding shit until it worked, the falling animation was added a while after this, but I didn't get this to work as intended all the way until I developed Sonic Primo.

And then, I had someone make some custom Sonic sprites for this hack.

I still have the sprites, so if you want them, have them I guess.

[​IMG]

Sonic Overclocked SHC Build: https://shc-dist.lostsig.co/downloads/expo2022/[SHC] [expo2022] 607 - Sonic Overclocked SHC Demo (By RobiWanKenobi).bin

2023:
    This is when I actually was a bit competent, and started working on Sonic Hex Adventure, I think that hack is actually still decent, and it also shows of effort.

This hack started out of me being very disappointed in Sonic Overclocked, and wanting to clean my slate.

So first things first, I am not going to elaborate too much, instead, I'll send you to the hack thread so you can see some of it's development.

https://sonicresearch.org/community...k-mini-project-thread.3230/page-45#post-89320
    https://sonicresearch.org/community/index.php?threads/sonic-hex-adventure.6711/

Sonic Primo Dev Footage:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So yeah, there's that, I did finish the hack, somewhat, dm me if you want the hack.

Takeaway

Interest got me into Sonic hacking, I persevered for years to get where I am today, and there have been many downs, and a few ups. From when I started, the way to get better is by experimenting on your own with the code, and seeing what you get.

Last edited: May 3, 2024
    Nik Pi likes this.
  2. Nik Pi

Nik Pi Well-Known Member Member

Nice.
    Still wonder why you decided to write it after two years.. not even twenty two.
    Would be nice to read it from..uh..more adult hackers, who really came through the long way (however I'm not in the sentiments, but maybe somebody will tell the astonish story about the long and hard way of standing, or smth).
    Anyway interesting thread, will be looking after it, definitely.

3. Carlos Iagnecz

Carlos Iagnecz Newcomer Trialist

It's really cool to see what you have made in only 2 years. No doubt you're so skilled, good luck with Project Revenge!

4. RobiWanKenobi

RobiWanKenobi Python Developer and ASM enthusiast Member

More old Primo & SHA development screenshots to share (Primo was originally Emerald Quest)

Primo:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SHA:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overclocked Bonus Images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And for anyone wondering about project revenge, don't worry, you'll see something soon enough.

of course the images died

Last edited: May 10, 2024