sonic 1 problem with saving mappings

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Baraksha, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Baraksha

Baraksha Well-Known Member Member

basically, I had project I was working on where I basically replace sonic's sprites with different ones and I have a problem with sonic 1's disassembly from the sonic retro github , for some reason I can't save the mappings and the pattern cues without failing to rebuilding the rom, according to the error text file most errors are due to undefined symbols. I didn't know what to do so I moved the project to sonic 2 which works fine, but now that I finaly decided to try this forum I guess I could probably ask you guys for help so I may try sonic 1 again

2. Niko

Niko All's well that ends well, right? Member

Undefined as in the random ACSII bytes, or labels that don't exist?

Could you show the error report in the errors.log (or s1.log, ect') so it's easier to understand the issue?

3. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

This is a common problem with the S1 GitHub disassembly, because somebody thought it would be a good idea to include constant definitions for each mapping frame inside the mappings, but mappings editing programs can't preserve those because they can only read and write mapping data. Also, SonMapEd doesn't save the original labels, so that might be a problem as well (Flex does IIRC).

There are two ways to fix this: you can use a mappings editor on a copy of the files and then manually copy the changed sprite data into the original files, or you can move the constant definitions out of the mapping file and replace the fancy math with plain numbers.

4. Baraksha

is there a chance you could recommend me a good mapping editor ?, i'm kind of new to this and also you don't have to, but I would appreciate it if you could give me some instructions

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  5. Baraksha

also i'm preatty sure that MainMemory have figured it out , but just for the hack of it here is the "errors" text file

Attached Files:

6. Niko

In case you didn't understand, it's a bug with SonMapEd not preserving the labels.

As said, MainMemory recommended Flex. http://snk.digibase.ca/flex/
    Either that, or the second method mentioned (as I've done), just manually re-insert the mappings back into a properly labeled mappings file.

7. Baraksha

yeh, the second option sounds interesting, just one question, how do I " manually re-insert the mappings back into a properly labeled mappings file"

8. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

If you read what I said, the first issue with the constants applies to any mappings editor, there is no editor that won't have the problem.

As for how to manually re-insert the mappings, well, you would have to compare the data in both files side-by-side, and whenever the bytes (not the labels) are different, you copy the new bytes into the old file.

9. Baraksha

how do I "compare the data" do I need to open both in notepad? also, bytes?

10. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

By using your eyes, what else? See how they're different and apply the changes from one to the other. Bytes are these things:
    Code:
    		dc.b $E8, $D, 0, 0, $EC
    		dc.b $E8, 1, 0,	8, $C
    		dc.b $F8, $B, 0, $A, $F4
    Not these:
    Code:
    MS_Burnt:
    MS_Surf:
    Just copy the changes to those $XX things from one file to another.

I once wrote up how to make the Git mappings work with SonMapEd, but I can't seem to find it on this site, right now.

11. Baraksha

ok, I don't want to bother you to much with my lack of knowledge, but the differences between the two asm files seem kind of big from each other, i'm not sure what bytes to copy to where

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  12. Niko

With only exception to NULL not containing any mappings, copy the dc.b's from the strings of values, and replace the ones that are in the same position in the properly labelled mappings.

In this case, "SME_qSV5p_B4" is "MS_Null," as "SME_qSV5p_B5" is "MS_Stand," BB is wait1, and so on.

EDIT(2): Revised image after finding my own mistake in explaining.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  13. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

You may want to use another text editor; the one you use does not correctly recognize /n character (newline). You could use ConTEXT or Sublime Text 3. Plus you get a lot of useful features!

14. Baraksha

I will try it later, but one question, do I have to change all the code or can I just change it for the animation I changed sprites for?

15. Baraksha

well, I didn't though you need anything special so I just used whatever came with windows

16. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

its not that you really need it, but that you will have a lot better time with it (generally speaking)

17. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
  18. Baraksha

do I have to copy every single line of code? is this why I need a better text editor?

19. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

Well like Natsumi said, you don't need it, it will just make things so much easier for you. Also that's what those programs he suggested were made for. Also did you even read what Laz posted? Doesn't seem like it since you didn't capitalize your sentences, again.