Sonic 1 Jumpdash

Discussion in 'Tutorials Archive' started by Selbi, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitaxas

Hitaxas Retro 80's themed Paladins Twich streamer Member

Credit to you for everything?

If I recall your original code did not include the underwater check.

2. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Well, it wouldn't make any difference, since I can do it today by myself. It was just for this time. Oh and also, this code is COMPLETLY rewritten. I started with nothing to make sure I've done it. Also, I forgot who made the underwater check at this time...

3. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

Awesome to see how solid reasoning is thrown to the wayside as time progresses. Viva la progress! B)

4. Selbi

If I get it correctly, you mean I've just thrown my step-by-step guide away and replaced it with this simple stuff and you think it was a bad idea. I can make this guide again, but I bet all I have that this will help kinda no one. Or am wrong at understanding you?

5. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

You are, but don't worry about it. I'm just being a jaded arse. ;)

What happened to the idea of making a general guide to creating moves? Seriously, making some base code--or at least explanation--of handling different directions for horizontally-based moves and letting people know how to move Sonic in any given direction is, if you ask me, far more beneficial than just pasting some code and calling it a day.

6. Selbi

Well, as I said above, there are still a few people who are just ripping off the code. I thought it wouldn't make any difference, since I made a comment after every line. But you have more experience than me in such stuff. I will create a real guide soon. But for now I hope this is Ok.

7. RandomAvatarFan

RandomAvatarFan Well-Known Member Member

I like that argument.

So let's say a code for a very basic peel-out was released. It made Sonic run in place while the buttons were held, and then he will move when they were released. The guide with this code will explain how this works, but anyone who wishes to use the code to make it an actual peel-out, will have to learn how to modify it so that speed is increased past the normal running speed, there's delay, there's animations for it, etc.

Some people will try to learn how to edit it, so that it works they way they want it to. Or some people will do what I did, and turn the move into something completely unrecognizable. And Person G who just copied and pasted, will have a very poor hack. If you believe that a hack is poor, why should it bother you, because if it truly is poor, no one will care for it.

8. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Since when is copy pasting code showing someone how to do something? A lot of people just take the code and plop it in their hack, they'll remain clueless. I'm quite against just copy pasting code, at least with 'instructions'. SOFIA has code, but no instructions, so you have to do SOME thinking to get it working. But with copy pasta guides...meh. Killing originality, and then hacks like Sonic 255 will have jump dash and spindash.

Just my two cents.

9. Selbi

I was just thinking, the jumpdash is nothing special anyway. A lot of hacks are having it today, and for some people it's easier to play the game with Jumpdash. So I decided to make a public code for it. I will (of course) not release a Homing attack or something like that. And for this code, if people want to learn, they can read the comments. Really, is it too hard to understand them?

10. shadowbeasts

shadowbeasts I'm Legend Member

Since there are comments after ever code it will help me understand ASM plus I can modify it so technically I won't be ripping it off. Well I will but I think you get the point.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
  11. Alex

Alex Active Member Member

I found this topic very useful indeed, your comments have certainly futhered my understanding of what critical effects writing "move.b" instead of "move.w" can have on the game at the least. xDD; That sure was an idiotic thing to do on my part... Mainly because I couldn't find the location I'd edited after closing ConTEXT.

I can see where Tweaker's coming from, in that some people will just read through the guide, copy n' paste all the new Sub routines in, and not learn anything; because they completely ignore the comments, and they aren't really being faced with any challeneg other than inserting the code in the right position. But for those of us that do study what the comments say and note the function that has that effect, I think guides like this will always be handy to practice, and further familiarise ourselves with the dreaded Assembler language with.

After all the years I've been hiding from moving onto Assembler, after listening to Qjimbo's video tutorials (Yes, I did have to have a good majority of the basics spoon fed to me, before anybody says anything =P) I completely understand how to use SonED2 and manage my project files.. Aswell as how to organise and use any Dissassemblies that come my way.

I guess not everybody will appreciate these guides for the right reasons, and will just steal the code to feed their achievement ego's at actually doing something right in Assembler, through no effort what-so-ever.. Still, handy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
  12. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

Pu70 made video tutorials? o_O

Anyway I'm glad you found Selbi's guide useful on a legitamate level :)

13. Selbi

TEH LOLZ!!1

Me too. I guess, you are the first one who made such a comment, Alex. :)

EDIT: 600th post!

14. Alex

Alex Active Member Member

GAH, sorry baout that Qjimbo, fixed my post. ><; For some reason I knew who I was talking about I just wrote the 1st name that ame to mind; possibly because I've been reading some Sonic 1 ASM tutorials today, not sure. ^^;

Thanks, I'm just happy that people are generous enough to put well documented examples of Open Source for public use, fine, the examples aren't perfect, but they really do the trick when it comes to easing new ASM users like myself into taking a plunge and experimenting with all manner of different instances. :3

EDIT: Congrats on the 600th post there Selbi

15. sonicstheman

sonicstheman Active Member Exiled

The jumpdash for me only works when destroying a monitor or enemy. I want it to ALWAYS do the jumpdash when I press the jump button twice.

16. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Then you've done something wrong, not Selbi.

Edit: follow it again to make sure you didn't make a mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2009
  17. Selbi

The sense of this Jumpdash is NOT to do your work. If you want to get what you want, read the comments, learn ASM and everything should be fine. It won't be so hard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  18. renegadellf

renegadellf W.T. Snacks Member

Jesus guys, the code for that would be less than a few lines, if you don't want to help , just say so, but don't be a dick.

19. Selbi

I don't see any dicking in my post. Helpz?

20. Malevolence

Malevolence Well-Known Member Member

You replied in a completely unnecessary and discouraging way. This person is obviously new and not accustomed to the way things are done around here, I mean, you don't have to help him out but you could be a little kinder to newer members.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.