sonic 2 RS Demo version (sonic hack)

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Joshwoakes, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

Um, are you actually implying you like eye raping?

However, I appreciate every hack released, no matter how broken they are, but bottomless pits in the first zone of the game are seriously a no-no.

no i  don't like eye raping  but some people do!

2. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Apparently only colorblind people.

3. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Since some of this topic's comments are just outright rude and aren't helpful, I'll keep this short. I'll admit, I haven't downloaded this, but just by the video--you fell and died because of improperly placed tiles.

To sum things up simply.

> Objects aren't placed properly. There's enemies in the floor, there's rings floating randomly, there are things floating. It's messy. Clean it up.

> Palettes, well where do I start? There's far too much contrast. Pink isn't a bad colour, but pink on black all over, and inverted grass, it doesn't look good. Keep the original shades, and change them at the same increments to keep a neat look. (eg, subtract 2 green from each)

> Music. I don't know where you got the music from, but judging from your video, you used the MP3 tool. It's lazy, the MP3 tool is generally just for legacy; and not really used in today's hacks.

> Overall level design. The design is confusing. There's no flow, and the player can get very confused. Keep the layout and design simple. Go in one direction, with a few branching paths, and if you're feeling adventurous, add some backtracking.

> Chunk placement. Broken chunks all over the place. It looks messy, and creates countless collision problems, you fall through the ground, it's not fun.

Finally, start with one zone, one hack actually. Work on one zone. Perfect it. Make it beautiful. Make it something you're proud of. I know you're excited with coming up with stuff and want to get your ideas out as fast as you can, but don't rush it. You mentioned earlier how you rushed it--don't. It creates a bad product. Take your time. Finish the level. Then comb through it again. Test it again and again. Only then should you release it. Release it when you can say to yourself "I like this". Focus all of your time and energy on one level to make it great. Once you get the hang of things, you can expand.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
  4. Guest

correction

not all of the comments were completely rude and I did so help.

5. Dark Lips

Dark Lips Well-Known Member Member

ok first things first - kudos on giving it a go... however, you have started with tools that dont stand up well to todays methods! my advice to you would be read the guides over at retro, read the guides here and then start over using a dissasembely. By the way how old are you?

6. ProfessorRenderer

ProfessorRenderer Certified Bear Scientist Member

Dude, why do you make these shitty hacks? Everyone, give him a bad rep, now! Let's torture this shit creator!

7. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Jake92 is posting again? All these idiots signing up on SSRG? I guess banning ThomasSpeedrunner has caused a huge side effect.

8. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Shut up, Jake92, just for that, I down-repped you.

And enough of all this fighting. Topic locked. joshwoakesm, PM me if you want this topic re-opened, but only when you've come back with a huge improvement on your hack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.