sonic 2 RS Demo version (sonic hack)

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Joshwoakes, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshwoakes

Joshwoakes Active Sonic Hacker Member

recoloured
    redesigned

new game play

sonic 2 RS is a hack that meant to be awesome. but because this hack was made using hacking tools and not a disassembly of the ROM. there are glitches and sometimes the game may crash 

downloads:
    all downloads contain a readme.txt file

there 3 download links 

link 1 - (zip folder) rom and readme.txt file only  (click here to download)
    link 2 - with 2 emulators and cheat save state (self extracting) (click here to download)
    link 3 - with emulator, sonic 2 mp3 too (custom music) and  cheat save state (self extracting) (click here to download)

game play video (youtube)

(youtube) sonic 2 rs 4 minute advert 

2. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

One word: awful.

3. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Going to review from your gameplay video:

While they do show some interesting ideas, your level layouts are lazy and lack any form of flow or consistency. There are random chunks of land floating everywhere, and it seems that you haven't edited the object placement at all, unless it was to add something like an extra life, which is shown by objects floating and even a badnik stuck in a wall in CNZ.  This combined with the level layouts causes completely stupid issues (8:00 minutes in, you cut away in the end to the checkpoint. Obvious problem to be changed). Your palettes are poor: The colour selection clashes and Emerald Hill's underground section contains a strobe effect which hurts my eyes and makes it uncomfortable to deal with. While I do like the EHZ music, I am not satisfied with the quality of the boss theme (which seems to use 1-2 channels and sounds like something out of Famitracker) and the CNZ music needs fixing. I also don't like the change to the end of an act music either. I'm not sure what the deal was with changing the first boss' hit counter. If you want to make him harder, change the physics a little, and even then, it doesn't compare to the CNZ's boss, whose hit counter you've decreased. Speaking of physics, I can tell you've edited Sonic's physics, meaning he's able to walk up vertical slopes without any momentum (Case and point: 11:17. You couldn't get up the slope with the flipper, so you walk up it instead).

I'm writing this in hopes that you will improve your hack based on the criticisms I made, so please consider and fix your hack accordingly.

4. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    Sweet Christ, you make TSR look like a fucking hacking prodigy. 

God awful hack. Whatever, my opinions.

- Painful palette: Jesus, where do you people come up with these horrendous palettes? Did you just walk into ESEII and change colors around and hope that it works? If so, you're not going to go anywhere. You might want to invest into disassemblies and modern hacking tools that way you can actually see where that palette is going.

- Shitastic layouts: There are a few interesting pieces, but otherwise, no thanks. Even if they were slightly decent, I couldn't tell. (see above)

- Horrible music choice: What the actual fuck is that music?

Really? Gens SonMP3? My God, even with that, this hack wouldn't be considered anything close to the word "good" even back when SonMP3 was around, which was back 08-09ish?

Also, why does your video have this long ass intro? NOBODY WANTS TO SEE LONG INTRO! I swear to fucking Christ, why? Do you know how annoying it is to watch a fucking intro of other games that aren't even what you have to show? Fucking annoying. Please, if you so feel inclined, make your shitty video intros no more than 15 seconds, at fucking max. 7 seconds should be plenty, but I'm being nice. Look at videos of MegaGWolf or Game Grumps, 7-12 seconds. Yours is 53 seconds exactly. Why? I don't need to see your shitty playthroughs of Sonic Chaos and Sonic 2. I want to know what the video is, otherwise my attention goes down the toliet. Tell me, when you watch vids on youtube, do you honestly watch a video that has more 30 secs of intro, or do you skip that shit to get to the main point of the video? If you say you do, I'm calling bullshit. If you won't, why would anybody else. You're damn glad I even watched the video, just to make sure it wasn't a waste of my time. It was, I want those two minutes of my life back now. I'd like them to be shipped to me first class. 

Come on now, I don't have all day. I'm at my front door waiting.

Come back when this hack is slightly presentable, it's not even worth my, or anybody else's time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2013
  5. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

I have the urge to send this to the trash like the other hack that got posted by some idiot recently. Can we get something good out of this place from once?

6. SuperEgg

I'm still waiting for those 2 minutes. I swear, you'd better have not sent them in economy, otherwise I will be REALLY pissed off.

Chip chop.

7. Joshwoakes

ok. I agree that the hack is not good and  I will try my best to improve this sonic hack.

I'm not lazy or anything. its just that when I'm editing I can't see much which means that I don't see things floating in mid-air until i play it my self

i'm going change EHZ  palette for the under ground  parts and the walls as well  but i want ehz to feel cover coloured that's why the tile card says "over color hill zone"

CNz i don't REALLY care about its meant to be hard there are few things I will change.

and plus its too late to change the music because i have already posted the music in a video on youtube. if really want me to change the music then sorry you will have to wait  unitl sonic 2 RS VERSION 2 or a beta version of this hack but before i uploaded that video on to youtube I changed the boss music so its no longer a rubbish 8 bit remake of the sonic 3 act 1 boss music.

And you should know about sonic 2 mp3 tool and thats what im using for the music in this hack and that explains why there is a 3rd download link 

and now because of all improvements I have to make the full version of this hack is now going to be delayed

but anyway thanks for your opinions

and my intro for my sonic game series videos is not going to be changed unit  july 9th 2013 so if you don't like deal with it

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2013
  8. Misinko

Misinko Oh SHIT it's the Biolizard! Member

My reaction while playing this: What am I playing? Dude, the palette is horrible, the physics make NO sense, the level design is all over the place, and I see quite a bit of level design that reminds me of "Sonic Loco", I don't know if that was intentional, or not, but it should be addressed. I can't even beat the first boss, and I could clear the first level in  47 seconds by jumping. Dude, if this was a joke hack, I'd be like: "Ok, this is stupid, but it's a joke.", but from your comment makes it look like you want this to be good, but right now, it's far from it. Fix these issues bro, I see some good level design here, but there is so much here that needs fixed, that it takes away from the few good parts.  

9. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

He should start using a disassembly instead, all the tools he used are so outdated.

Edit: Sonic Tweaker has sooo many bugs, same with S2 to MP3, one of them is the reason why the continue screen music plays at the results screen.

Edit2: Here is the link to the disassembly page on Retro for you. http://info.sonicretro.org/Disassemblies

10. Guest

as to what everyone else has said about this, I'm sorry but I myself have to say this this hack is just atrocious and terrible. the palette is just god awful, the level layout is completely out of wack, and not to mention the use of sonmp3 to me is pointless to use and is a lazy excuse of saying that you have custom songs in your hack. though i can understand that this is probably your first time making a hack, but however on the other hand if your going to want to make a proper hack, at the very least the first thing to do is get yourself a clean disassembly of sonic 2 and start from there, and if you really needed help on finding out these types of things related to anything hacking sonic 2 or the basics of hacking any of the sonic games for the megadrive (besides palette and level editing), you could just come here or go to retro and look up the basics of what they have to offer. if I were you, I would at the very least learn how to make your own disassembly and how to do basic asm coding. just some advice from me.

11. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

This hack is golden. I didn't think anything could reach the level of Sonic Green Snake again, but the above video proves the opposite.

12. TheJeli

TheJeli Umm... Member

Your commentary was awesome! You should do one for other hacks like Sonic Green Snake.

13. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

This. This right here sums up my reaction to this hack. Your reaction was hilarious Selbi, you speak pretty good English.

14. SuperEgg

So, essentially what you're trying to say is that....

"you guys are right, my hack sucks, but fuck everybody on here, cause it really doesn't, cause I'm still willing to release this pile of shit because I've done so much PR shit on it. And you know, instead of worrying about quality, I'd rather try to appease my adoring fans"

Tell me, who actually gives a fuck about your hack besides the 3 or 4 people on Youtube that don't know the difference between Belgium Chocolate and Horse shit?

Nobody.

That's right, nobody gives a fuck, or even a flying fuck. Your hack is shit, and your taste in music is shit. BTW, I was wrong. Sonic 2 MP3 was around back in 2006. Even then, your hack would still be consider shit even by 2006 standards.

Originally, I was going to address every point you've made, and outright shoot it down. But I've decided to fuck that and just outright beat you verbally with my ecock.

There is nothing good about this hack. There is nothing from this hack that anybody with half a brain wants. And don't fucking sit here and say,

"Can't test it till I play it."

Bullshit. Even if you're using ESEII you can at least figure out your level layouts. Also, another thing? Did you even play test this? If so, I'm surprised you'd let this even see the light of day. You must be completely fucking colorblind not to be able to see your palettes literally can blind people. Hell, they don't even make sense.

Also, if the case is that you're going to delay the release of this piece of shit, then why are you not changing the soundtrack? It's fucking horrid. Hell, why are you using MIDI version of ALREADY GOOD FUCKING MUSIC IN GAME? It doesn't even make sense, the music exists, why put in an MP3 of the same fucking song, but sounds like shit? 

Don't fucking sit here and say you can't change the soundtrack because you've released a video. Yes, you can. You're sitting here like everybody is expecting your hack. No, not just expecting it, demand it to be released. Sorry bud, nobody is. The music is shit, and you've acknowledged it. Why settle for shit when you can throw it all away, and restart from the beginning with something much better. Sure, it requires work, but guess what, everything does.

Also, protip. Just in case you hadn't quite caught on. Saying "Deal with it." usually never ends well. It shows arrogance, and not to mention, it's a legitimate problem. Nobody wants to see a 53 second intro video. Why would you make one that long? Nobody gives a fuck about your other playthroughs, we just want to see your hack.

@Selbi: I'm on the ground, crying and holding my sides from the laughter I'm releasing. DAMN YOU....YOU YOU CRAZY WACKY NAZI!!!!

15. Joshwoakes

"you guys are right, my hack sucks, but fuck everybody on here, cause it really doesn't, cause I'm still willing to release this pile of shit because I've done so much PR shit on it. And you know, instead of worrying about quality, I'd rather try to appease my adoring fans"

Tell me, who actually gives a fuck about your hack besides the 3 or 4 people on Youtube that don't know the difference between Belgium Chocolate and Horse shit?

Nobody.

That's right, nobody gives a fuck, or even a flying fuck. Your hack is shit, and your taste in music is shit. BTW, I was wrong. Sonic 2 MP3 was around back in 2006. Even then, your hack would still be consider shit even by 2006 standards.

Originally, I was going to address every point you've made, and outright shoot it down. But I've decided to fuck that and just outright beat you verbally with my ecock.

There is nothing good about this hack. There is nothing from this hack that anybody with half a brain wants. And don't fucking sit here and say,

Bullshit. Even if you're using ESEII you can at least figure out your level layouts. Also, another thing? Did you even play test this? If so, I'm surprised you'd let this even see the light of day. You must be completely fucking colorblind not to be able to see your palettes literally can blind people. Hell, they don't even make sense.

Also, if the case is that you're going to delay the release of this piece of shit, then why are you not changing the soundtrack? It's fucking horrid. Hell, why are you using MIDI version of ALREADY GOOD FUCKING MUSIC IN GAME? It doesn't even make sense, the music exists, why put in an MP3 of the same fucking song, but sounds like shit? 

Don't fucking sit here and say you can't change the soundtrack because you've released a video. Yes, you can. You're sitting here like everybody is expecting your hack. No, not just expecting it, demand it to be released. Sorry bud, nobody is. The music is shit, and you've acknowledged it. Why settle for shit when you can throw it all away, and restart from the beginning with something much better. Sure, it requires work, but guess what, everything does.

Also, protip. Just in case you hadn't quite caught on. Saying "Deal with it." usually never ends well. It shows arrogance, and not to mention, it's a legitimate problem. Nobody wants to see a 53 second intro video. Why would you make one that long? Nobody gives a fuck about your other playthroughs, we just want to see your hack.

@Selbi: I'm on the ground, crying and holding my sides from the laughter I'm releasing. DAMN YOU....YOU YOU CRAZY WACKY NAZI!!!!

ALL RIGHT ALL RIGHT ALL FUCKING RIGHT I WILL CHANGE THE FUCKIN SOUNDTRACK JUST FOR YOU HAPPY NOW ? AND IM CHANGING EHZ PALETTE RIGHT RIGHT NOW AND DON'T CARE IF SONIC 2 MP3 TOOL WAS ROUND IN 2006!! BESIDE DON'T CARE HOW OLD SONIC HACKING PROGRAMS ARE I WILL STILL USE THEM. ok fine i will change the ehz palette and the soundtrack just for you superegg. and i will try to find some updated programs if can't then i will carry on using the old ones. and im using mp3 because im using sonic 2 mp3 tool

16. KosmoF

KosmoF Masochistic epileptic FEMALE gamer! Member

I really liked the demo, and would love to see more of it  ^_^  Oh and FYI... I'm monochrome blind (can't see black, white, grey, or distinguish between certain shades of various colours)  :p; so, as eye-raping as this hack may be to others, it looks perfectly fine to me :).

On top of that, I've played practically all of the "eye-raping" palette hacks  <_<; heck, Special zone 6 from Sonic CD is my favourite Special Stage of all time, and my epilepsy is immune to Selbi's "Sonic Rape" hack  :huh: .

17. Joshwoakes

you liked it? well thats 1 person who likes it but its now being changed which means it won't be a eye rape hack anymore because people don't like it and changing it so people will like it

18. SuperEgg

Nobody.

ALL RIGHT ALL RIGHT ALL FUCKING RIGHT I WILL CHANGE THE FUCKIN SOUNDTRACK JUST FOR YOU HAPPY NOW ? AND IM CHANGING EHZ PALETTE RIGHT RIGHT NOW AND DON'T CARE IF SONIC 2 MP3 TOOL WAS ROUND IN 2006!! BESIDE DON'T CARE HOW OLD SONIC HACKING PROGRAMS ARE I WILL STILL USE THEM. ok fine i will change the ehz palette and the soundtrack just for you superegg. and i will try to find some updated programs if can't then i will carry on using the old ones. and im using mp3 because im using sonic 2 mp3 tool

Oh no, heaven forbid your hack actually becomes good. Heaven forbid that happens. A good hack? Oh no.

So yah, I'm now making fun of your repeated statement.

Anyways, here's the issue. Nobody fucking uses Sonic 2 MP3, hell barely Gens, cause that shit is old. So essentially, you've made a soundtrack that nobody can even use cause it's fucking outdated. So, again try.

19. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

Um, are you actually implying you like eye raping?

However, I appreciate every hack released, no matter how broken they are, but bottomless pits in the first zone of the game are seriously a no-no.

20. Joshwoakes

i don't if no one uses sonic 2 mp3 tool

but in this hack if want to hear the custom soundtrack you have to use it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.