Another South Island Adventure - DEMO

Discussion in 'Showroom' started by DeltaWooloo, Sep 26, 2021.

1. DeltaWooloo

DeltaWooloo The noob next door Member

DeltaWooloo presents:
    titlescreen.PNG

This hack tried to remix Sonic 1's level design and successor to Sonic ReOne, but I lost motivation to carry on for many reasons. (before you ask, this doesn't link to Hivebrain's South Island Adventure ROM hack in 2004)

3036.jpg
    3037.jpg 3038.jpg 3039.jpg 3040.jpg 3172.png

In this hack, you will only be allowed to play the first two acts of Green Hill Zone before you are sent back to the SEGA screen. Let me run down a few notable things you may notice when playing.

Throughout Green Hill Zone, you will take a glance at a bright sunset palette that looks appealing in the eyes. Within act 1, you will encounter the lightning shield to attract rings and prevent projectiles from killing you; the fire shield is there too to allow you to destroy breakables walls and dash your way to the goal. Also, there are many paths for you to run around, so do check them out from time to time.

Act 2 and involves more linear bearings. However, if you go down below, you will encounter an underwater section where you can try and run around only while trying to grasp for air unless you equip the bubble shield, which prevents you from drowning. Special Stages 1 and 2 have updated layouts, too, so be sure to grab 50 rings and check them out too! You also get to hear an excellent remix of Green Hill Zone done by me in GHZ1 and Puyo Puyo's Sticker in GHZ2. GHZ3 has the same layout, and completing the level will take you back to the title screen.

You will also notice minor additions, such as the smooth Sonic sprites I showcased a month ago on YouTube, and all three special stages have a makeover.

Moves are the same as Sonic 1 with a few new additions:
    1. The spindash from Sonic 2 is here. Duck and push A, B, C to gain speed, and Sonic will start rolling fast while destroying enemies
    2. The insta-shield from Sonic 3 and Knuckles appears in this ROM hack. While jumping, push the A, B and C buttons to gain a bolt around Sonic, and it will allow him to be vulnerable for a tiny bit and destroy objects or collect rings surrounding him.
    3. If you gained an elemental shield, push A, B or C in mid-air for an action to occur. For example, Sonic can double jump with the lightning shield, slam to the floor, bounce higher with the bubble shield, and dash your way past enemies and breakable walls with the fire shield.
    I apologise if there is nothing exciting to see in this ROM hack. This is mainly due to a lack of motivation to continue with this hack since my mental health couldn't bear the amount of work I put myself into making this, along with a few other hacks. Also, all the time spent this year was for another exciting hack to prepare for next year, alongside so many ROM hacks from other people to prepare for either SHC this year or finalise playable demos. Still, I released it to be a proof of concept hack and sent it to the public for anyone to enjoy. Whether I'll continue with the hack is very unlikely (I might redesign GHZ3 by Christmas and call it a day), but at least I had a good time designing levels and feeling more confident in Sonic ROM hacking. =D

Click here to download the ROM hack.

Also, as a fun little secret, if you push C on the title screen, Sonic's sound effects will be replaced from Sonic 3K to CD. =P

There are also some bugs to watch out for that I didn't manage to fix in time for this year's Expo:
    • GHZ water background changes when loading, but it shifts to normal once the HUD is loaded, and you can move
    • Sonic's animations and mappings can bug out on rare occasions
    • Other bugs may persist, which I may not know, but the hack is still stable and playable after countless testing.
    • D.A. Garden - bug testing this hack and giving me some level designing support
    • AURORA✰FIELDS - AMPS sound driver and giving me general support
    • Vladikcomper - helping me set up his parallax engine for usage
    • TheInvisibleSun - helping me set up the water in GHZ
    • nineko - Puyo Puyo's Sticker port
    • ProjectFM - last-minute help regarding VRAM bugs while I was busy sorting out my personal life.
    • DaxKatter - Testing the hack on real hardware (via the Everdrive X5)
    • NotSoDevy, Rosabelle and bennascar for the sprite sheets to Sonic

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    JGamer2151, Matt, ProjectFM and 6 others like this.
  2. TheIvanCut

TheIvanCut Newcomer Trialist

hey man I loved your hack! but I loved the music more and how sonic moves... but I had forgotten the game ristar I have not played it long ago XD

Angel X and SuperSayian Zrise like this.
  3. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I owe DeltaWooloo a big apology.

He contacted me on Saturday asking me if I was interested to make a preview video of his hack, but in an incredibly unlucky case of bad timing, he picked one of my rare busy weekends, so I couldn't reply until it was too late.

I tried it now, and it is very good, too bad that it's so short, I wanted to play more!

In any case, since late is better than never, here is the video.

4. DarkexMW

DarkexMW werhog Member

Simply hack, I like it.
    The smoothed sprites are a nice additon, the elemental shields too. I only see a common bugs (Sonic using walking/running animations a pixels down when he's rolling after a spindash before some parts like a looping I remember)
    No all the hacks needs soooo much changes for being good and this is a good example in my opinion.