Can 2 engines be merged together?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by AfroThunder, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AfroThunder

AfroThunder Call Da Doctor! Member

Is it possible to merge 2 game engines together? I'm asking this because I want to make a custom game engine by putting 2 diffrent engines together.

2. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Uhh....If you know what you're doing then yes.

3. theocas

theocas #! Member

What two engines do you want to merge?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2010
  4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

An engine (in terms of a "computer game" engine) is simply software code, what would you class as a seperate engine?

My view of a single engine is the individual sections that make the game, such as; the draw code, the sprite control code (or SST), the deformation (or scrolling), physics and collision, music and sound. Each one can be replaced with a better version provided that they do not interfere with the other pieces of software yet that they can also work with the information the other software is giving it.

If your view of an engine is an entire game (which I'm assuming it is judging by how you said "2") it is possible to run two, though to allow to engines to work together, they have to have an agreed setout, meaning you'd have to make sure that the two pieces of software can work together without clashing or ruining the functions of each other. You have to make sure that the data and/or address registers are used appropriately and hopefully similar to each other, you have to make sure that the storage spaces such as ram (and possibly rom) are used in a way that they do not interfere with each others workings.

To answer your question, yes, but the question is why?

Too much software can lead to lag or an incorrectly functioning game.

5. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

When you're copying code over from Sonic 1 to 2, you more or less are merging 2 engines.

6. AfroThunder

AfroThunder Call Da Doctor! Member

I was working on a Sonic 1 hack, and I had some guides and tutorials to help me. I wanted to merge the Sonic 2 engine with Sonic 1's, but I didn't know wether or not if merging 2 engines together was possible, and none of the guides had that information

Thanks for giving me the information Markey, and I'll see if I can find extra infromation to help me along the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.