DevoIan's Untitled Sonic 1 Hack

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by DevoIan, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DevoIan

DevoIan Newcomer Exiled

2. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun Visible Member

Tried it out. I like Sonic's sprite changes, it gives it a more classic-cartoon-ish feel to it. The level design of Great Greens Act 1 though, feels a bit linear (but it does give off a sort of 'old lcd handheld game' vibe though, which isn't really a bad thing if that's what you're going for). Maybe you can try expanding the level and adding a lower path? Additionally, have you thought about adding a special gameplay gimmick to the hack, to give it an even more unique feel? Something like a new move or enemy can change the game completely.

Anyway, I think this is a small, but cool start. Can't wait to see how this hack develops!

Also:

/monthly_01_2015/post-2577-0-89645900-1421733545_thumb.png

I'm really glad you did this instead of just going straight to GHZ Act 2. To be honest I found this to be pretty creative!

Attached Files:

3. LordXernom

LordXernom Well-Known Member Member

For a first try. I'm so suprised! This is a very good hack and you started amazing job. My first hack experiences 3-5 years ago was completly shit comparing to your job. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
  4. DwhitetheGamer

DwhitetheGamer You got a serious fight in your hands. Member

Um, where are the "screenies"?  May be on my end, but I don't see any screenshots.

Anyways, great start on your hack.  Keep it up!

EDIT: Also, for your title, how about "Sonic: the Cartoon-ish Hedgehog?  Got it from TheInvisibleSun saying the sprite changes give Sonic "A more classic-cartoon-ish feel to it."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015
  5. DevoIan

DevoIan Newcomer Exiled

Thanks for the kind words, guys. About GGZ1 being linear. I was going for the style of Super Mario Bros. 3's first level, where the main path was linear, but finding some items took a little exploring. Soon, I'll begin work on Act 2. I'll try to make that level multi-pathed. Also, would "Sonic Toon" be a good name? What do you guys think?

6. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Already taken by Sonic Boom in Japan.

Please don't focus on the name; it's the game that matters.

7. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

This looks bland and Sonic looks horrifying.

Anything you plan on doing? I hope there's some solid progress to come.

8. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

There wasn't really much to review in this hack, but I'll work with what I've got. First, the bad: 

Sonic looks horrifying, but the death sprite is alright. You might want to change the way Sonic permanently smiles while he's standing still or running, because it gives the impression I'm controlling a lifeless dummy. The object placement is also all over the place. I eventually found myself rolling when I had enough acceleration because there was an enemy placed where I couldn't expect it.

But as for the good, I think it's a decent Special Stage. You made good use of the glass blocks to hide the goal blocks rather than spamming them like a lot of hacks I've seen. Try not to add too much to it, as there's been times when parts of the stage flickered because there's too much onscreen. The level layout's okay.

That's all I can talk about, really. There's no need to rush your work to a release. If you want opinions on something, you might be better off releasing a video of it in action.

9. DevoIan

DevoIan Newcomer Exiled

Okay. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to did these issues as soon as I can. Also, I was trying to make the first level simple. I'm planning on adding a new palette to the level, but still trying to figure out a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.