Extract DAC Samples from Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by theocas, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theocas

theocas #! Member

How can I extract the DAC Samples from Sonic 3 and Knuckles to a WAV File? I need to get each DAC Sample in it's own WAV file. I just can't seem to figure out how to do this on a Mac.

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

*Sigh...* Here <-- Credits to: DalekSam!

Enjoy, but you should really use other samples. The Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Crackers DAC samples are getting boring. =/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2010
  3. theocas

theocas #! Member

What are the .dec files? I did some more research, and I think that these files are 4-bit PCM Files. If this information is right, how do I convert them to an 8-bit PCM WAV? Sorry if I'm asking the obvious questions, but I've just started hacking Sonic games.

4. c1owd

Why do you need them in WAV? The samples are right there. You can easily port them on to your hack now. If you have a custom sound driver of course. ;)

5. theocas

theocas #! Member

Well, I need them in their original form for adding to a hack, and in WAV form for making some music with 'em (or making the music sound more "sonic-y")

6. c1owd

Um, you can't add WAV files to your hack dude. And what do you mean adding the WAV samples to a song?

1.) Get a custom soundriver like Jman's, Sonic 2 Clone Driver, or something like that.

2.) Next, insert the soundriver into your hack of Sonic 1 or 2. And put the samples you want. (in this case: S3&K)

Into the soundriver. (I assume you know how to do this. Just read the tutorial.)

2.) Make your song or port it. =P

3.) Then do some hex editing and change the DAC a bit so it plays your samples. (I assume you know SMPS.)

And that's about it really... Also, if you don't mind. What Sonic game are you hacking? Sonic 1, 2, or 3 & Knuckles?

7. theocas

theocas #! Member

I'm hacking Sonic 2. What I want with the WAV files is add them to a song I'm making in GarageBand. But I also want to ADD them to Sonic 2. How do I add them to Sonic 2's DAC Samples?

8. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

Um, yes, yes you can. jman's driver uses uncompressed samples = wav. RAW, headerless waves. pshh. May cost you a bit of space if you plan on adding a lot, but yes, you can add wav files.

9. theocas

theocas #! Member

That's good to know. BUt I want these samples as a WAV file with header so my computer can actually play them, so I can add them to music I'm composing for my Sonic Fangame.

10. EMK-20218

EMK-20218 The Fuss Maker Exiled

Don't forget that the header is very small. So it can be easily removed using a hex editor. But, some audio editors (like Goldwave) inserts the tag header at the end of the file.

11. theocas

theocas #! Member

Sure. But how can I make these DAC samples into a WAV format my computer can play back?

12. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

Fangame? In that case use a wave editor (Goldwave and such) to convert the .dec files to a wave file. I think it should be 8bit PCM mono unsigned if you want the samples to sound close to the sonic 3k version.

13. theocas

theocas #! Member

Yep. Was originally Sonic 4 until I emailed Sega with all my ideas (Which might have been a very bad idea because Sonic 4 was announced to be a side scrolling sonic game a week after I sent the email lol) but is now Sonic 5. It will run on a sort of linux, and be totally 2D. I actually set up a site for it here: http://theocas.net/s5b/ And now I need to convert these samples to wav for making tracks. I will try Goldwave. I am also working on a Sonic 2 Hack, and now I need to build it from ASM on a mac. I kinda regret tossing my Windows machine 2 years ago...

EDIT: Works fine in Goldwave that runs in Darwine on my Mac, but the samples play too fast. A good speed is .3, but what is the speed the game plays them at?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2010
  14. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

I think you should try 1105hz (or whatever pitch there is with 11k on it)

15. theocas

theocas #! Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.