Fasttracker II Clone for custom music?

Discussion in 'Discussion & Q&A' started by weeble, Dec 21, 2023.

1. weeble

weeble Newcomer Trialist

I was curious if anyone has used/uses the Fasttracker II clone to create custom Sonic music.
    I'm trying to get started with custom music making, but I have never worked with XM files (so xm4smps isn't really on the table for me right now). I've looked into midi to smps converters and that seems to be a good option. I don't work with midi trackers (or trackers in general actually), but I can't imagine it being too difficult.

Would Fasttracker be a good option for creating custom music? I'd assume it has an option to export songs as midis. If you haven't heard of Fasttracker/haven't used it, what midi trackers would you folks recommend?

2. Kurk

Kurk Oh Yeah Member

When working with XM, people here typically use ModPlugTracker or its derivative, OpenMPT. I’d personally recommend the latter as it’s actually updated.

Nowadays, most people use mid2smps for custom SMPS. I assume you were looking at xm4smps because it’s the newest music tool on the retro wiki. This mid2smps tutorial is what I read when I first got started: https://sonicresearch.org/community/index.php?threads/how-to-make-a-song-with-mid2smps.4526/ Give it a read, and I hope you have fun on your musical journey!