Finally Upgraded to 4.0.13.1

Discussion in 'Site News' started by OrdosAlpha, Nov 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

First off, I appologise profusely for all the fuck ups it's taken to get this far, and for the time it's taken to accomplish the upgrade. It turns out IPB was refusing to connect to the Seanie's CDN server. I've got no idea why, as the login credentials were present in the database but not being read by IPB 4.0.4. Now, all my previous upgrade attempts encountered an FTP error that I was informed was to do with the server no longer supporting TLS. Turns out that was a load of shit. The issue was the CDN login issue, and I actually forgot Seanie had set-up the IP.Downloads module to upload files to the CDN.

After finally remembering we used a CDN, I edited the board settings so that all IP.Downloads files were stored server side again. But, this then created another problem. The IP.Downloads Screenshots storage setting wass stuck transfering data, data that had been transfered successfully. This issue was still preventing the board upgrade as the forums still thought it was using the CDn, so it would try and fail to connect to the CDn, and thus block the upgrade. I spent days trying to fix it, but my efforts ended in vain. Tried creating a tech support thread about on IPB's forums and got no response. Opened a support ticket, and got told that they couldn't help me bcause I was running an outdated version of the forums software. I go to them with an issue that's preventing me from upgrading, and they respond by telling me to basically go fuck myself. Thanks Invision. Thanks for letting me know what you think of your customers as a whole.

In the end, the problem was fixed thanks to the work of LazloPsylus. It's thanks to him and his digging around the clusterfuck that is IPB's code that we're now running 4.0.13.1. So kudos to him.

Now, you'll see that the Downloads section is no longer available, this is due to it's broken state and the lack of use. For the time being, it will remain available, but that may change in the future, just don't count on it. The Clean Cut skin is also experiencing broken images as a result of the upgrade. I'll try and get that sorted tomorrow when I'm working on the forum mods.

Oh, and while IPB 4.1.3 is now available, I won't be upgrading to it anytime soon. I don't have any confidence in it.

Oh, and welcome back to you all.

2. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    Woo, what a mess that thing was to sift through. Still a couple of things left to twist and tweak, but hey, it's up now. Also, Invision can eat a gigantic, fat dick. Absolute horseshit how they treat their customers.

Also, report function is broken. Much raging to be had by people like me that use the report function often.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015
  3. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

FUCK IPB

4. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

It looks like IPB are becoming terrible.  Oh, and with upgrade, looks like the IPB double/triple/quadruple posting is back: http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4646-my-possible-final-post/&_report=91#comment-60390 and http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?/topic/1335-basic-questions-and-answers-thread/&do=findComment&comment=60374 and http://sonicresearch.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4512-general-screenshotmovie-thread/&do=findComment&comment=60371

It used to be only the General screenshot thread suffered it, but now looks like all forums do.  This is a serious problem really.  Reading your post, looks like asking advice from IPB Support is a no-go.

Ordos, I saw a setting in AdminCP to stop people from making multiple rapid posts, but is there a way to extend the time limit on it?  This may help prevent the accidental double posts...

5. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

well the forums are entirely broken

well

fucking

done

IPB

6. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS so uh yes Exiled

>Internal Server Error

>Double post

how am I not even surpriced.

7. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

8. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I still don't get why there was all this urge and fixation to update the forum software to the latest version. I know I'm all the way on the other end of the scale, but the question is: was it really mandatory? The old forum software worked just fine, and as a huge supporter of the "don't fix it if it's not broken" argument, I wonder how practical it would be to rollover to the good old IPB we all grew accustomed to.

9. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I meant "rollback", sorry. I'd edit my post above but I don't have enough patience to do so.

10. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Wait a minute, upgrade? All these days I thought this was going to be a rollback to IPB 3... Still no BBCode, still no double-line fix, still double posts all over the place.

Sigh.

11. Selbi

EDIT: Speaking of double posts...

12. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

Blech, this update makes me gag. Invision has really fucked up this time, they made it worse than before. >_>

13. LazloPsylus

Academy City
    Unfortunately, Invision is kind enough to give customers a hearty "fuck off" if the latest version of their software isn't being used, as was lovingly found out. As for a rollback to IPB3, it was looked into, but unfortunately, it looks unfeasible for now. That being said, there's going to be a lot of hammer slamming on what's installed now to figure out and resolve what's wrong and at least let the board limp by for a bit.

14. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

okay so now the multipost bug is back and the company responsible for the forum software is a buncha dicks

dunno about anyone else, but I'm not surprised
    general rule of thumb that I've conceived through extensive observation: unless an update specifically says what it changes that helps something, chances are it's going to cause more problems than it fixes
    also, other rule of thumb: companies become more and more self-conceited the more updates they do (case in point, almost every major tech company in modern-day America)

that said, I wish you people the best of luck in getting the damn thing fixed so that this (hopefully) doesn't happen again

15. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Just wait until the IPB license expires and we can get off this fucking shit fest and move over to something else.

Probably XenForo. A lot of former IPB customers went over to there...who could blame them?

16. Selbi

Is it possible to migrate all the forum data to that new forum software when the time comes? Because if not, losing all posts, topics, and users is far worse than sticking with the current IPB. You might as well just launch a new website then.

17. Selbi

Edit: Double post. God, this was so predictable. It's not even funny in an ironic way.

18. LazloPsylus

Academy City
    It will be possible to migrate. It will be a pain in the ass, but users, posts, and topics should remain intact. The problem is more, again, that the IPB license lasts through June, and the new forum software will need to be purchased (if XenForo is the end selection).

19. Unused Account

Unused Account Well-Known Member Member

Going to agree with everybody else here and IPB is fucking idiotic. All this upgrade made me notice there are more interal errors and double posts. There's also still completely pointless linebreaks that will only appear in the post editor and no where else. Also, XenForo really does seem the way to go... but if the data from these forums can't be brought over then I'm not really sure about it. Sure, it really does seem rather upsetting to move over to a new forum and start fresh with everybody gone (and all banned users unbanned) but to be honest all that's going to happen is that IPB will fuck up even more stuff in every update and in the future these forums will pretty much be unusable.

Also I'm going to call that this is a double post.

EDIT: Holy shit, it wasn't. I'm actually kind of surprised by that.

Also, rather ironic a thread with most people complaining about double posts is constantly getting double posts everywhere. It's like IPB is saying 'yeah we know, but fuck fixing things we just need to add... EVEN MORE EMOJIS YAAAAAY  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: '

...Emojis make me want to drown myself in Labyrinth Zone.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015
  20. Psukeo

Psukeo I'M A BUS HONK HONK Member

IPB RUINED OUR FORUMS

If this is a double post, I'm gonna scream, "Fuck IPB."

EDIT: It wasn't. Still, fuck IPB. If it was, that insult would be all caps with like 3 exclamation points and an angry face. 

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.