FW-KENSC Windows Shell Extension

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by Clownacy, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

[​IMG]

This is a Windows shell extension for flamewing's FW-KENSC (and MarkeyJester's Twizzler), made by MainMemory and I.

If you're like me, you were constantly juggling the command line set of FW-KENSC tools around with the KENSSharp shell extension, jumping between the two when you either wanted something easy to use, or something with a better compression ratio. Now, with this, you can have both!

This uses the (as of writing) latest version of FW-KENSC, complete with Rocket/Kosinski+ support, and the ability to module-compress all formats (bar No-Size Saxman) with a module size of 0x1000.

Source is available at https://github.com/MainMemory/FW-KENSC-ShellExt
    Download here: https://github.com/MainMemory/FW-KENSC-ShellExt/releases/tag/v1.2.1

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    DanielHall, FATA-, StephenUK and 9 others like this.
  2. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

To be clear on who did what here, I took the basic skeleton of the KENSSharp shell extension and wrote some code for the context menu handler to interface with the compressors, Clownacy made it actually work, updated the compressors to the latest versions, and added all the extra format options.

This extension should actually use less resources than the KENSSharp one, because the compressors are native code that runs in-process, instead of having to call out to a separate C# program.

Glad to see this finally getting a proper release.

3. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

Wow. The image instantly caught my attention. This will make things way easier. Too bad I just finished porting some levels yesterday. This could've come in really handy.

4. Clownacy

After some shenanigans, Twizzler's now been added. Link in the main post.

Also, if anyone wants a Kosinski+ decompressor for their hack, this one should work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  5. Clownacy

AURORA☆FIELDS likes this.
  6. Clownacy

Niko likes this.
  7. Devon

Devon Down you're going... down you're going... Member

What exactly is Kosinski+? How different is it compared to Kosinski format-wise? Is there already a 68000 decompressor for it?

8. Clownacy

It's a Kosinski variant, devised by Flamewing, that tweaks the format to improve decompression speed and compression ratio (the latter only in very specific situations). Kosinski has a bunch of weaknesses, like how it uses 16-bit descriptor fields when 8-bit would be faster, how descriptor bits are stored low-bit-first instead of high-bit-first, etc.

There's a decompressor here.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    EMK-20218 likes this.