Green Hill Zone in Sonic Crackers

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Selbi, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

I actually wanted to wait with this, until everything is fixed, but since the SonED version of the disassembly has been released, it doesn't matter anyway, at least from my view.

Anyway, I decided to make a small test ROM and do some layout editing. That, however, was far too simple for me (and would be for anyone else), so I tried something... harder. I think, even though it's unfinished, I still think, it turned out quite well.

But just take a look at it yourself, so I'll just leave you with the download:

Download

As I said, I stopped working on this, so many things are broken, mainly the collision, because I used an old version of the disassembly, that didn't feature collision back then. I tried to port the stuff to the new version, but suddenly nothing worked anymore, so I just left it at status, I had it (the collisions aren't that bad though, you can still play it, will need to grab Tails sometimes though).

Also the music is a problem. Since the GHZ music is much bigger than all the other songs, they got pretty much overwritten. So when you die, you are actually supposed to hear the Game Over music, not the music being restarted.

And because I know, there will be people, who want to see what they are downloading, just for you:

[​IMG]

And a video:

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Many thanks to MarkeyJester for the music, telling me where a few routines are (like palette cycling, so I could disable it) and of course making level editing possible.

2. DeoxysKyogre

DeoxysKyogre No idea what to put here .-. Member

If it wasn't for the collision and the lack of the deformation, this hack would be great. Imprevissive stuff.

3. SpirituInsanum

SpirituInsanum Well-Known Member Member

I'm so glad that gameplay never made it past Chaotix ^_^

Hope it won't plague too many hacks though... ^_^

4. JustANewbie

JustANewbie Well-Known Member Member

The collision is still better than GHZ in Sonic 2 Nick Arcade...

5. DeoxysKyogre

DeoxysKyogre No idea what to put here .-. Member

That's right. But the slopes don't work correctly. Also, Selbi, just a suggestion to improve it, could you import the objects like the bridge?

6. FireRat

FireRat Do Not Interact With This User, Anywhere!!! Exiled

OH MY GOD. Good job...

@Selbi: Really u can understand the disassembly or the ROM? o_O (If it's the case, no offense MarkeyJester). I do not understand nothing..

And why when sonic walk to the left, sonic fall and the sonic sprites change to the Hi plane? It's because the levels have another collision index or another Sonic object? (Also, in the original ROM, the Speed Slider level is exactly the same at this)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010
  7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak Still hacking the 8-bit titles Member

What don't you understand may I ask? As long as you are familiar with 68K assembler and know the different RAM addresses (which all the ones that are known are in the INFO folder btw) then you could understand it. (Also Selbi helped MJ with this disassembly too.) To be honest with you, I think whoever commented the code did a great job explaining what each code segment was doing. (I would assume it was MJ that did, but Selbi did some research so not too sure about that one. :\) Anyway, awesome stuff Selbi!
    And technically my mini-hack was the first asm hack, even if there was minor editing done to it. xP

8. JustANewbie

i thought that Selbi changed all tunes to GHZ tune!

9. Selbi

Theoretically yes, I'm not sure if I actually want to do that. =P

As Ravenfreak stated, I'm working with MarkeyJester on the disassembly. Besides that, the biggest part done in ASM here are just the screen boundaries, and these weren't just easy to find, but also easy to understand. If you want to know, they are at TTZ_FG_StartLocCam and the beginning of GameTimeOver (
    which was commented by me :V
    ) in the new version.

And the fall through the ground thing is another collision issue. Don't worry, it will be fixed in the next version (if there will be any).

?

10. FireRat

Yeah, but why is caused? and why the sonic sprites change to the Hi plane? (well, sorry if I'm just asking very stupid things, but I want know why happen this Dx...)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010
  11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Well here's how it goes, I disassembled the rom originally, but sinse the first release, me and selbi have gone through the source and have commented sections "together" (or at least in co-adjacent). The disassembly itself has it's credits and I do wish people would pay attention and acknowledge this, but it seems that I may be talking to a brick wall.

Well actually the first rom hack of crackers was before any disassemblies existed, I do recall someone altering the rom itself (Of course there may have been many others who have worked on a rom modification of Crackers before now). Your's however, would be the first "disassembly" hack that was released =)

It is caused because something within Sonic's programming is causing him to switch planes and collision paths if the opposite direction (left/right) is tapped very quickly, I believe this to be a test for path swapping that wasn't complete, though that's just a theory, GHZ chunks (Comming from Project: Two-Eight), only has most of it's first plane lines set solid, the only areas the second is set solid is half of loops, so changing a direction will cause Sonic to switch to the second path, but then fall because of no set solids.

12. JustANewbie

Anyways, this is an interesting project...

13. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

Well, thank you for sharing that.

14. FireRat

And another question: why in the level select, the SPECIAL STAGE crashes?

15. Selbi

If you would've done some research before hitting the reply button, you would know, that the special stage simply doesn't exist, even in the unmodifyed ROM. The game tries to load non-existing code when you load the special stage. Is this making any sense to you?

16. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

@HCKTROX: You know that in mario there's the world -1 bug? It loads data from a random area (the water world) but in world -3 (IIRC) its just a black screen, because it tries to load after the end of the ROM (which is nothing). Same goes here, it tries to load code that isn't even there (either random, or something after the end of the ROM) and that's why there's no special stage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.