Hacktube: New Emulator.

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Qjimbo, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qjimbo

Qjimbo Well-Known Member Member

Hacktube is online again everyone!

Big thanks to proxi for getting me started with the applet version of Stephan Dittrich's jEnesis emulator. I've also put in a little tweak that should stop the sound bug. I'll add the ability to toggle sound soon. Games with sram also cause an exception error, which I'm working on resolving, though it could mean there is potential for online sram storage per user, which would be neat.

Here's a rundown of the improvements of jEnesis over PotatoMulti.

• Better Compatibility

Hacks that used to crash, no longer crash. It's as tolerant as Gens when it comes to addressing errors and such.

• Better Sound

Sound Emulation is a million times better. No weird "hanging notes" are noticable anymore. PCM is a bit wobbly, though I believe thats due to the sample rate.

• Soundbug: fix'd

Adding a 3 second sleep to the stop function applet allows java to collect garbage up before killing the applet, reducing the likelihood of the repeating sound. I'm looking into a better way of solving this problem but for now this works pretty well.

• Better Performance

Less slowdowns and overall a better "feel".

So yeah, go check it out!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2009
  2. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Impressive work, Qjimbo. It's good to see this emulator being used, I downloaded it myself and it is good. This would also allow people to make sure it works on the emulator so yeah, download jEnesis and playing your hack before submitting it would be a good idea. I also like the controls and the new overlays. Also, few suggestions and issues:

• User's avatar could be the one used on the forums instead of the hacktube image.
    • Links from the MySSRG page is using double slashes to the forum profile instead of one.
    • FAQ needs revamped with information for both emulators.
    • More clean roms could be added, specifically S3, S&K (alone), Knuckles in Sonic 2, Blue Sphere, the GG games (they are slightly different) and since the emulator has 32X support, Knuckles' Chaotix.

Also, how long do you think it'll take before you revamp hacktube (in terms of rearranging shit and making stuff less gay ie: beginner hacks that ruin the quality of the system).

Though I thought the sound would be decent, at least it's an improvement.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2009
  3. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Oh yes, the goddamned sound bug is gone! I'm so glad for finally having a better emulaot, though I have a few questiions:

1: Am I the only one whose game is showed a little bit off screen?

2: What happened to the 2x SAI?

3: Why is there no loading screen / can you make one?

4: As SOTI already said, when are you going to revamp Hacktube?

4. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

I guess it's not supported on jEnesis.

5. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

Nice. The FAQ needs to be tweaked to remove the PotatoMulti download link, or replace it with a link to the JEnesis homepage/download link.

@QJimbo: Did you get a response to the e-mail?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.