hardware woes

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Dark Lips, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lips

Dark Lips Well-Known Member Member

Hi there, I have recently been reworking redemption and am trying to make it hardware compatable... however I am not having much luck, firstly I had a problem with the peelout and I fixed that by sheer fluke !!! now I seem to be having the same problem with spindash - what happens is when the title cards have loaded the game gives me a 1111 error !!! any ideas?

Edit: Still not having any luck with this guys... any ideas why the spindash ported from s2 beta or from the guide on retro is not hardware compatable?

Edit 2: Here is a little update, after lots of experimentation and testing I have discovered the problem was that the new routines was at the bottom of my asm file, once I moved them up into the sonic object code it works fine - well apart from the spindash dust is a apperaing as yellow blocks !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2009
  2. TmEE

TmEE Mélodie is powerful ! Member

kinda seems like relative addresing issue, but your assembler should bitch about it....

3. Dark Lips

Hmmm ok tell me more about how the addressing system works, I have googled it but I would like to see it in laymans terms.

4. TmEE

there's absolute addressing and relative addressing, absolute addressing modes use the full 32bit address to specify things, relative only 16bits, and thus is faster. Only problem with relative addressing is that you can only reach data that's 32KBs after or before current PC location....

5. Dark Lips

so basically certain code that needs to be faster can be 16 bits but this code cannot access data that is stored any further than 32k either side of it, so my next question would be.... how do you enusre the data is in range of the code? is there some method used to calculate the range? - Sorry to be a pain and keep asking but this is all usefull and intresting information.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  6. TmEE

your assembler is supposed to whine on you if there's something exceeded......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.