Hedgehog Abuse Simulator

Discussion in 'Showroom Archive' started by Selbi, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

[​IMG]

Download
    (Sonic Hacking Contest 2015 – Entry Page)

About:

The idea of this hack is to use the Debug Mode as an actual part of the game play (SpikeDebug™ Mode). However, the ability to teleport has been removed. Also, all items have been deleted from the debug list... except for one.

Spikes.

And not just one type of spikes. The diversity of these three-set needles adds anything from regular speed boosting and bouncy to fragile and exploding. The SpikeDebug™ Mode's great variety of pain bringers leaves no hedgehog's desires in the dirt! Only their blood. (That wasn't a joke. This hack contains blood.)

[​IMG][​IMG]
     ​
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is a very tiny hack, only consisting of three stages. "Demo Stage" is the only complete stage which is a single continuous loop to show off the different spike types. The other two test stages are very bare-boned WIPs, with which you can test some basic concepts, freely create your own courses, or just do plain stupid stuff for giggles!

Background:

A small hack that was originally intended to become a full-fledged puzzle platformer by the time the contest hit, but due to technical issues and many time constraints never made it past the first few test milestones. For the contest, those few assets have been taken and reordered in a short, albeit (hopefully) polished way. There is no real game here, just a couple of demonstrating concept levels as well as an intro cutscene. The only reason why I decided to submit it anyway was because a lot of people told me to, saying that there's nothing to lose, really. But I hope you'll enjoy this short experience nonetheless!

(Partially inspired by whoisthisgit's "Tails Abuse Debug" series.)

Controls:

With Sonic:

• B, while on the ground: Enter SpikeDebug™ Mode (and leave Sonic waiting where he was)
    • C + A: Jump. Duh. Should I also explain what the D-Pad does? Yes. Yes I should.
    In SpikeDebug™ Mode:

• D-Pad: Move around (in an 8-pixel grid)
    • C: Place a spike / remove spike(s) when hovering over them
    • B: Leave SpikeDebug™ Mode (and return back to Sonic)
    • Hold A + Press Left/Right: Cycle through spikes
    Misc:

• A, while game is paused: Return to stage select (you will need this!)
    • A, on stage select: Toggle DevMode (disabled by default; only kept in because otherwise some things are unable to be done and you can get stuck sometimes)
    When DevMode is enabled:

• B, anywhere and not just ground: Enter SpikeDebug™ Mode
    • Hold A + Press B, when in SpikeDebug™ Mode: Leave SpikeDebug™ Mode (and teleport Sonic to that location)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Really?  No-one?  Well I found it rather funny...  And interesting I might add.

A unique idea is a unique idea in my opinion, and to actually attempt turning a bug into a gameplay mechanic is probably the best idea I've seen from anyone around here.

3. Psukeo

Psukeo I'M A BUS HONK HONK Member

As always, Selbi, you are amazing.

4. ArcaniaCQ

ArcaniaCQ Well-Known Member Member

I enjoyed this. This is really creative. 

5. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

You posted this very shortly after Selbi made the topic. Give us a chance. What are we, supermen? =P

Anyway, I've tried it, and will upload a video after work tomorrow. So watch this space!

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

​I typed it because a few people came in, viewed the thread, and then disappeared without posting.

7. Psukeo

​Cool! I hope it'll be awesome!

8. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Ah I see. Maybe they came to download the hack, and they'll come back to comment on it later? Like I did, and here you all go:

Link

9. Psukeo

I actually played this hack too, along with a handful of others, in my last stream! Nevermind, it was the stream before. Besides, this is gonna be moved, so might as well prepare.

btw aye strem lolol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
  10. Selbi

I've skimmed through your whole video and didn't find anything about my hack. And even then, it's a multi-stream. This fits better in the main Hacking Contest thread.

Could a mod move this, please?

11. Razor

Razor Active Member Member

It was very funny to build some spike mazes to poke Sonic around :D

12. Selbi

This is a really good demonstration of how I intended this game to be played! Blind runs usually resulted in people failing to realize what the hell they're even supposed to do. That's what I get for entering a half-baked hack to the contest (and relying on people reading the text on the release topic, silly me).

Though, you must admit: You used savestate playback. There's no way you could've known right ahead where Sonic was gonna land. :V

13. SoulCircle

SoulCircle Death is my cup of tea! Member

You demented swine! You are killing SANIC! 

*Cough cough* Anyways, truthfully, it's a wonderful concept! You need to keep developing this. And is this cheating?

Hedgehog_Abuse_Simulator_0.png

14. Selbi

I'm still not entirely sure if I want to continue this. The overall reaction felt very underwhelming, and many videos and comments I've seen pointed out many design flaws that I don't really know how to tackle without breaking a ton of other things (the best example being what you posted as a picture there, getting stuck infinitely by placing spikes in such a way, which is not cheating but actually an unwanted design flaw that I just don't know how to get rid of).

Also, there were a few people who actually took the "You are killing SANIC" part to heart more than I imagined. A particular kid on YouTube decided to go rage mode because of that, and I wouldn't normally care, were it not for the fact that I actually offended a close friend of mine too, though in his case it was less about the Sonic thing and more the whole close-friend-torturing-you thing because he had some sort of trauma that I didn't know about before.

I dunno. It was never intended to be an offensive hack, yet I managed to create just that anyway. Just my luck, eh? I also originally didn't try to make anyone draw any connections between Sonic ERaZor and Michael Bay, it just happened when people pointed out how many explosions I use.

Can't tell anything for the future. We will have to wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.