Help with modifying title screen?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by amphobius, Nov 9, 2015.

1. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

Currently, I'm trying to get a bit of aesthetic work done in my hack. In Sonic 1, at the very least, I'm aware of how to modify the Title Screen emblem/foreground - it uses plane mappings, making it very easy to modify with the correct tools. However, the foreground part is the least of my worries right now. I know of the guides that let you use unique graphics for the title screen and separate it from Green Hill, but actually what I'd like to do is what Sonic 2 and 3K do - use plane mappings for the background as well. I tried to look at how Sonic 2 loads the title screen, but I couldn't figure much out from it other than removing the part that loads a level. My knowledge of working with assembly is very minimal, so any help is appreciated.

I'm working with the Sonic 1 Two-Eight disassembly based off the 2005 release. Please let me know if there's anything else I should explain.

I'm not exactly technically minded, so while I can do the basic things on my own... anything creative I would like to do that involves something I can't get to grips with or understand is beyond me, so forgive me in that regard. In return for any helpĀ I'll take a request or two for SMPS tracks - it's one of the few things on the hardware I can do well.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2015
  2. DanielHall

DanielHall Well-Known Member Member

Delete any references to any chunk loads in the title screen, set the VDP to write to $E000 (VDP command $60000003; Plane B's nametable), make sure to draw to the whole plane if you want to use scrolling ($3F horizontal, $1F vertical when branching to PlaneMaptoVRAM/ShowVDPGraphics) and you should be fine.

3. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

It took a bit of discussion on IRC, but thanks to Dan I got this finally in the way it's meant to be

[​IMG]

Yay!

I think something to work with the title screen to use plane mappings could do with some sort of guide -- it'd serve as a good way to working with the VDP, as I've found while implementing this.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2015