Help with Sonic 3 (original)

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by EZEQUIEL, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EZEQUIEL

EZEQUIEL Active Member Exiled

Hello well now I need help to restore the removed zones of Sonic 3,the Sonic & Knuckles zones by example mushroom hill,or at least activate the remains left turn areas of Sonic & Knuckles in Sonic 3.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  2. Dark Lips

Dark Lips Well-Known Member Member

this isnt quite as simple as it is in sonic 2... If I had to hasard a guess I would say its along the same lines but a bit more complicated due to the size of the rom and the lock feature.

3. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

There's nothing really functional left in Sonic 3 aside from the level names, and some different enemy behaviour....nothing too interesting. I'm not quite sure how to do all of this but I'd look into the level select code.

4. SuperEgg

SuperEgg I'm a guy that knows that you know that I know Member

THE BEST GOD DAMN STATE OF TEXAS
    There really isn't a Sonic 3 Disassembly lying around, so that's a bit difficult. Unless you understand hex and know how to use it. Otherwise, you're outta luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
  5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Actually, there is a Sonic 3 disassembly technically speaking, the Sonic 3 & Knuckles disassembly that jman released has a flag in the source if I recall correctly, that notifies the assembler to assemble Sonic 3/& Knuckles portions seperately, or combined.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

That disassembly can only assemble Sonic & Knuckles or Sonic 3 & Knuckles, not Sonic 3 alone.

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

You're kidding, right? *checks*...

So you mean to say that we have the resources and the data, yet we cannot actually assemble a stand alone Sonic 3 ROM? What the hell is this?

8. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

The disassembly contains only data from the Sonic 3 portion and a small portion of code for screen events, you'd have to disassemble the entire S3 ROM to get the other code and data not used in S3K.

9. SuperEgg

Essentially. Until SOMEBODY finishes there disassembly, there is no S3 disasm, well until I finish the one I've been currently working on, but seeing as how that is a slow ass process.... Have fun.

10. Dark Lips

hmmmm - this has got me thinking (smell the burn lol) couldnt we just use the entire S3k Disasm but remove the sk portions of code? yes its long winded and tedious but I dont see why it wouldnt work.

11. SuperEgg

Sure. I mean, if you'd like working with that messy as fuck disasm, go for it. The current public S3K disasm is a mess and shouldn't even be considered for common usage. I guess if one wishes to waste their time with it, go right ahead.

12. vladikcomper

vladikcomper Well-Known Member Member

I was disassembling Sonic 3 when I was making Sonic 3 in 1 compilation, it was way far from being completed though and I didn't need much back then. Seriously, no one made it yet? If so, I can pick up what I've done so far for Sonic 3 in 1 and perhaps make a full split disassembly of it, in case nobody is working on it as we speak. Anyways, don't expect it anytime soon.

13. Dark Lips

vladikcomper that sounds like it could be interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.