HEX2ASM

Discussion in 'Utilities' started by Selbi, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Something I hate about Hex editors is, that I can't do a lot of things I could do in normal text editors. If I'm pissed so much of using them, I always dig out IDA to convert the Hex into an ASM array (with dc.X commands). This, however, is annoying as well, so I decided to make a tiny program for it.

Running the original menutext.bin file through it (level select text) looks like this:

[​IMG]

And the output looks like this:

dc.b $17,$22,$15,$15,$1E,$FF,$18,$19,$1C,$1C,$FF,$10,$1F,$1E,$15,$FF,$FF,$23,$24,$11,$17,$15,$FF,$01
    dc.b $FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$23,$24,$11,$17,$15,$FF,$02

dc.b $FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$23,$24,$11,$17,$15,$FF,$03

dc.b $1C,$11,$12,$0F,$22,$19,$1E,$24,$18,$FF,$10,$1F,$1E,$15,$FF,$FF,$FF,$23,$24,$11,$17,$15,$FF,$01

dc.b $FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$23,$24,$11,$17,$15,$FF,$02

dc.b $FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$23,$24,$11,$17,$15,$FF,$03

Download: http://selbi.hapisan.com/HEX2ASM.exe

Special Thanks to MarkeyJester for a 5 minutes beta testing!

Nat The Porcupine likes this.
  2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

This sir, is one of the several most useful tools I've found to use, you wouldn't believe the number of times I've had to manually copy code from a hex editor and reorganise in the assembler's format.

3. Dark Lips

Dark Lips Well-Known Member Member

Great work, this is so useful :lol:

4. Animemaster

Animemaster Lets get to work! Member

Thats darn cool selbi, may give it a wirl.

5. Selbi

Update, v1.1:

• Data is now directly being written to the output path (using a StreamWriter), rather than storing everything to a variable and then saving it. This allows you to convert huge files in the matter seconds!
    • Added a progress bar.
    • Reading from offsets and setting length (e.g Offset=$0001E000; Length=$2000 bytes).
    • Adding comments at the end of each line, showing you the offset of the first value in that line (Sorry Mercury, labels as well would be... unnecessary).

But I totally have no interests in working on this program anymore. The source is already fucked up so much... it was hard enough to do the things listed above (I even think that there are still bugs releated to words and longwords when reading from offsets and the progress bar only really works when you convert the entire file).

Download: http://selbi.hapisan.com/HEX2ASM-v1.1.exe

That said, here's the source (I'm pretty sure the experienced people in those modern languages will do an epic failpalm now :v:): http://selbi.hapisan.com/HEX2ASM-Source.rar

If anyone has the patience to crawl through this messy code to clean it up, fix the remaining bugs or add more handy features, just go ahead!

6. SamplingMastersNix

SamplingMastersNix 64-bit Sonic Hacking Novice Member

Any chance of converting Hex to ASM with not just the define constraint but with the move, add, branch, and all the other commands as well, or does that not work with data?

Also, I want to convert ASM into HEX, so I can replace the .bin data. Can you reverse the process, Selbi?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
  7. Selbi

Yes, use IDA Pro.

It'd be easier to just use ASM68K (or SNASM68K if you're using it). Make a new file called build2bin.bat or whatever you it to be and put this into it:

Code:
    asm68k FILEYOUWANTTOBEINBINFORMAT.asm, ASM2BIN.bin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.