How do i make a character for a sonic hack?

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Seb1541, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Seb1541

Seb1541 Newcomer Trialist

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. JoenickROS

JoenickROS ROS (bug fixing in progress) Member

That's not really going to help us much. What exactly is it you need help with when making the character? Art, Controls, moves what?

3. Seb1541

Seb1541 Newcomer Trialist

[​IMG]
    This is my character
    "Cone the Condor"
    Controls :
    A - Homing Attack
    C - Insta Shield (Not Temporary)
    Down + A, B or C - Spindash
    Character created by me

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  4. ThomasThePencil

ThomasThePencil resident psycho Member

Or you can try to make it yourself, like anyone that wants to make a good first impression would do. Showing that you can do something yourself is exponentially more impactful than asking others to do it for you, in a good way. It shows competence, skill, and above all, patience, which is something that anyone entering the game design field must have throughout all stages of work.

5. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

Building a reputation aside, the character object is one of the most complicated things in a game engine, and it's only even more apparent in the messy Sonic engine. Look at how the Sonic object is interacted with by other objects: there's no centralisation, just a lot of code duplication. The Spin Dash alone suffers from bugs because of how unfriendly the engine can be (charge the Spin Dash while on a seesaw in HTZ to see what I mean). An ability is hard to add, is what I'm getting at, and there's a lot to teach, to go with it. And I mean a lot, like... a lifetime's-worth-of-hacking lot. It's the kind of thing I think is best suited for learning, by yourself, and not all at once with some guide. I don't think a guide for that's even possible, really, and that's just for an ability. As for making an entire character? You need to know all about how Mega Drive art works: palette limitations, sprite limit, how to use SonMapEd or Flex. You really should tackle each of these fundamental components a step at a time, and not all at once like this. Not that I can stop you from trying. I mean, I know some guys who thrived from going in blind like this, just don't expect us to help with everything.

6. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    This place lives off of tough love when it comes to teaching stuff. You're picking a difficult point to go toward, so be prepared to work hard and learn on your own, because a lot of people here have more things to do in their lives than hand-hold you through the process. You're free to ask questions, but you're going to have to be specific and detailed in what you're looking for, because we can't read your mind. Answers won't be immediate, because we all have lives outside of this site. If you ask a bad question, the people here won't be afraid to inform you.

Basically, get ready for some roughness. If you're persistent and intuitive and willing to learn things on your own, you'll do fine. If not, the sharks are lurking.

7. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

You are more than welcome to make this sprite on your own. Spriting is a pain in the ass, but there are short cuts. I would recommend looking for a similar existing sprite sheet (a specific sprite along with its entire list of movements and actions) and then modifying it. I would recommend http://www.spriters-resource.com/ to get you started.

I mean no offence by this, but if you're not willing to put in the time and want a hand out, then kindly fuck off and stop wasting our time.