How to add the Super Peel Out (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Tutorials Archive' started by Selbi, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbi

Selbi The Euphonic Mess Member

Return to Part 1 of the Tutorial.

This is just a Beta! Don't create negativ comments! (Post bugs and mistakes!)

Finally, part 2 is finished! It's just about adding the SPO Sprites, but I guess a few people don't understand the Tutorial on Sonic-Retro. So, let me explain it for you.

Before you can Start:

-Download my attachet file. It's a pack with all files you will need.

-Download SonMapEd version 1.05

Here we go!

1: Open up SonMapEd.

2: Load Tile graphics (artunc/sonic.bin), PLCs (_inc/Sonic Dynamic Pattern Load Cuse.asm), Mappings (_maps/Sonic.asm) and the Pallete (palette/sonic.bin). (Remeber to change the Background to Pink or something!).

3: If you watched my Tutorials on YouTube or used the "artunc"->"sonic.bin" from the Spindash End Source, you should have a giant yellow space:

[​IMG]

x1: If not, download this picture to add new tiles (NOT recommend!)!

x2: Add them as the same way, as in the Tutorial (4-5 times).

5: Of course you can create your own Sprite sheets, but I guess no one of you want this. In my download are all Sprites you will need. (The colors of the Sprite sheets are edited for the Sonic 1 original Palette. If you've made your own one, call me. I will fix them for you ;).)

x3: As in the tutorial, add your added tiles by placing them. In the folder "Tile Grids" I made grids to see, were you have to put the tiles.

Here a Picture with the placed tiles for Sprite 1:

[​IMG]

x4: Do the same for all 4 Sprites! Go to Step 8.

6: I don't know why, but the first way doesn't work at my computer... so I use this way (thanks to CarrascoZX0!!!):

a.) Go to the Yellow tiles.

b.) Place 1 big Tile Block.

[​IMG]

c.) Place 1 vertical long Block.

d.) Put it at this point (with up, down, left, right)

[​IMG]

7: Insert 3 new Sprites and do Step 6 for all 3 Sprites, again.

8: When you are finished, check if "Settings"->"Image Importing"->"Assume Corner is Background" and "Dircet/Nearest match to Current Palette" is checked. This is important, or this will happen!

9: Now go to "File"->"Load from Image"->"Import Sprite over active frame..." and load the Peelout Sprites, one by one for each frame. If you have any problems, call me, because this isn't easy to understand (for Newbies of course)!

9.5: You can skip this, but I recommend to do it: Put your 4 frames 4 Pixel up (With Shift + Up Arrow Key) or your Sonic will be under the Ground!

10: Are you done? Great. Now you have to save the Tiles, Maps and PLCs. Close SonMapEd.

11: You think we are done? Nah, we added new Sprites, but we don't use them, since we made a custom Animation! So, open "_anim"->"Sonic.asm" and scroll down. Replace the old code:

SonAni_SuperPeelOut: dc.b 2, 8, 9, $A, $B, 6, 7, $1E, $1F, $20, $21, $FE, 4

To this (I know, it's very long):

SonAni_SuperPeelOut: dc.b 1, 8, 8, 9, 9, $A, $A, $B, $B, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 9, $A, $B, 6, 7, $1E, $1F, $20, $21, $1E, $1F, $5E, $5F, $60, $61, $FE, 4

(I know, Copy/Paste, but I'm too lazy to explain every singel Step! :p)

12: Save and Close it, but we are still not done! You can run build.bat and try it, but look at the Original:

After you release your Peelout, you have still the 8-Running-Animation for a while. But with my Code you will have the regular running Animation.

13: So open "sonic1.asm", go to my Super Peel Out code and look for this line (under loc3_1AC8E:):

move.b #0,$1C(a0); set animation to run

14: Change it to:

move.b #$21,$1C(a0); set animation to SPO release animation

15: This animation ($21) wasn't created, so open "_anim"->"Sonic.asm" again.

16: Paste this line under the dc.w Peelout line:

dc.w SonAni_SuperPeelOutRelease-SonicAniData;$21

And this Line under the dc.b Peelout line:

SonAni_SuperPeelOutRelease: dc.b 1, $5E, $5F, $60, $61, $5E, $5F, $60, $61, $5E, $5F, $60, $61, $1E, $1F, $20, $21, $FE, 4

17: Save again, and NOW we are done. Build!

18: If everything was made correct, you should see this, if you press Up + A/B/C:

LINK (because it's an animated Gif (Ignore the palette))

19: Have fun! ;)

x=Alternate way, if you didn't added the Spindash Sprites with the gigant empty Yellow Space.

Note: This wasn't the last Part of the Tutorial. Look at this and you know why:

LINK (t's also an animated Gif (Ignore the palette))

Credits:

Me (Selbi) for nearly everything

CarrascoZX0 for helping me a little with Image importing. HERE

Xenowhirl, for SonMapEd

Cimpo, for the SonMapEd Tutorial (1/2)

Special Thanks:

CarrascoZX0, for random reasons!

Nicogens, for showing me: Peelout is not im possible! =P

Version: 1.0 (first ever Release)

Last Update: 19th January 2009

I'm open for Ideas, Comments, Wishes...!

Super_Peel_Out__Tutorial_Part_2___SSRG__Sprites_and_Misc.zip

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  2. Hanoch

Hanoch Well-Known Member Member

Hmm, now I understand why did you use that kind of animation ;).

Credit me as well, for the super peelout code (though I didn't let anyone but midgetonebeta to use it >.>)

Anyway, there is a way to fix that angles.

Download RotSprite and rotate all of the peelout frames in a 45 degree angle IIRC, and import them to sonmaped the same way you said in this guide (they have to be in the same order as the normal peelout sprites) Then the angles will work.

Btw, I dont think you need a "peelout release" animation. Make it use Animation 0 which is walking, then go to:

loc_13A9C:
    lea (SonAni_Run).l,a1; use running animation

cmpi.w #$600,d2; is Sonic at running speed?

bcc.s loc_13AB4; if yes, branch

lea (SonAni_Walk).l,a1; use walking animation

add these lines at the begining:

lea (SonAni__HaulAss).l,a1
    cmpi.w #$700,d2 ; is Sonic running really fast?

bcc.s loc_13AB4 ; branch if carry clear

Then go to your animation file and replace that releasing animation with:

SonAni_HaulAss: dc.b $FF, $5E, $5F, $60, $61, $FF, $FF, $FF, $FF, $FF

Dont forget to change:

dc.w SonAni_SuperPeelOutRelease-SonicAniData;$21; Rename to SonAni_HaulAss

Dont forget to give me a credit ;) Give one to xenowhirl as well, he made RotSprite.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
  3. Selbi

The Sprites are already rotated (Copied from Sonic CD (with Paint edited)). So I don't need that! ;)

I already made this, but I didn't know, how to use the rotated Frames... anyway, thanks. I will do it in Part 3! (Of course, you'll get Credit ;)!)

Some Parts of the code are made by you, but not the entire code (welll, not my Version)! However, Credits are updated! :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
  4. Hanoch

To use the rotated frames, put them after the non-rotated peelout frames. Then angles will work.

5. Selbi

Thanks! It works! ;)

6. c1owd

c1owd Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member

Good Job Selbi!,.......As always!!! I hope a Part-3 of this tutorial comes out soon!!!.....There are a lot of bugs you have to fix........but keep up the great work!!!

Also Thanks For The Credits!!!.....but I also did help you with actually importing it too? Remember? Teamviewer?

7. Tornado

Tornado Active Member Member

Good job, Selbi! This is a great tutorial, but lack even a saying as insert JumpDash .. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  8. Hanoch

Thanks to the guides on sonic retro, all of the hacks are generic palette hacks, with the same spindash, rev01 effects etc.

Thanks to me, all of the hacks are the same, with super sonic

Thanks to me, you and midgetonebeta (Especially you and midge because you made that guide) all of the hacks will be the fucking same, with a different palettes/layouts.

Im not mad at you, Im just asking you, how about we remove these guides before we make hacking useless?

I mean, after megamix got cancelled, I started to see some palette hacks with all of the guides from sonic retro in their hacks, and a really small touched up layouts, and shitty music ports.

Guides just makes people lazy, I was making the super sonic guide just in case I lose some precious data off my hack so I could restore it. I did a big mistake.

Midge asked me for help on adding the peelout into his hack, and I felt like I could help him. I gave him the code, animations etc. A few days later, you and him made this guide and I haven't heard from him for a while.

I gave you the angles fix because the hacks that already have peelout could at least have perfect peelout, and the rest of the hacks will stay with unfinished, half-assed peelout.

Same as super sonic, I am going to remove it and the rest of the people will have an unfinished feature. When having an unfinished feature, some people might fix it themselves OR be too lazy to fix it and less people will play it.

For example, the first release of sonic 1 remsatered had music ports, but they didn't sound good at all so he fixed some of them instead of having a hack that no one wants and now hes hack has sexy music ports and really cool features.

If all of the hacks will be the same, hacking wont be fun. In fact, playing the hacks wont be fun either.

Edit: Another example:

Stealth gave Tweaker the homing attack code correct? Now for this example, lets say Stealth has a hack with the homing attack, same as Tweaker because he got that from Stealth. Tweaker decides to make a guide on how to make the HA because he wants other people to have homing attacks in their hacks but that is stealing because Stealth made the HA by his own knowledge and Tweaker just took it without him to know. Now dont tell me "but I edited the code only a part of t is yours" because it doesn't matter, they work the exact same and if a part of it is mine, again that is stealing. And just giving me a credit doesn't make all of the "infected" hacks unique again so remove that guide ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2009
  9. Selbi

These are some very... powerful words! But no, I will NOT remove my Tutorials, because they are Important! Newbies, who don't even know, what move.b means, need Tutorials. I know, the most of them just do Copy/Paste, but without them, I had never made it to what I am! So no: I do not remove it!

(BG)

10. Hanoch

If you dont remove that tutorial, then you dont care about hacking. Do you want every hack to be the same? Think about it, did puto or cinossu knew about asm at the start? They were the same like us, they knew nothing about hacking but did they say "omg I need full instructions!"? No. They understood it by their own, sooner or later, the other newbies will understand asm as well. If these people came too here because they were impressed of the other hacks around here, and they wanted to make the exact same hacks, without any knowledge then they should give up on hacking. I was a newbie, and how come I learnt asm really fast? Its not like that im the smartest guy on earth, its just that I understood asm, its hard to explain. If you really want to help newbies and you care about hacking, remove this guide and create a different guide about asm. As you said, if noobs just do a simple copy/paste they will not understand what is in the code, so try creating an asm guide. Here is a start, introduce them to hex first, then teach them every command in asm. If you need help creating that guide, let me help you.

11. Selbi

Hmm... I understand.... I fully agree to you this time, but there is one problem:

These Tutorials were created with hard work! My heart will bleed if I remove them...

So, can't we just try to find another solution? I mean, if you create a Tutorial (unless, who is the real author) with hard work, and you've spend a lot of time in it and someone comes to you a says: "Hey, remove that shit!", what would you think? "No problem!" or my way? And one last thing: If I remove the Tutorial, the people have to create their own code. This code will be nearly the same as the one of my Tutorial! Is this really necessary?

(BG)

12. Hanoch

I have just removed my guide. You can remove your guide or at least give help to anybody who needs the peelout. Tweaker gives the sonic 2 clone driver to cetrain people that needs it. You could do the same, if someone needs the peelout in their hacks, test their hacks first and decide if they deserve it or not.

Edit: And if you get up to 5 peelout requests in at least 2 days, stop giving your services.

13. Selbi

Let's do the rest of this Topic with PM! Not everyone should see it!

14. Irixion

Irixion Well-Known Member Member

You're comparing THIS to the clone driver? I lol'd. This isn't very hard to do. Simple animation change, and add a delay timer. Not very hard. The clone driver is a complete rewrite of the sonic 2 sound driver. Don't you dare compare a rewrite to a simple code change.

15. Tweaker

Tweaker OI! MIRON! Member

Wow, I think some people read my rants elsewhere and try and start some sort of powerful movement other places. Kind of flattering, but maybe not the best course of action...

Listen, here's the thing--I don't mind tutorials. In fact, a lot of the time I encourage them! The difference here is that tutorials should be made with practicality in mind. Most Sonic 1 hacks have the Spin Dash, which is fair enough--it's a core game mechanic for a lot of people and it should be included if people want it to be. Likewise, the speed cap, spike behavior, et al are minor changes that I don't think really make or break a hack. The peel-out might even be among those! Who knows, honestly.

The trick here is proper implementation of these features. I see too many people come in with palette edits and a couple of tutorial executions and try and play off like they have a super original hack. This is not the way to go. However, I believe adding the Spin Dash, removing the speed cap, et al are important parts of creating what can be something original and involving. Superb level layouts, new level art, and overall good design--that is what people should be focusing on, not adding tons of complicated new features.

What was the appeal in Sonic 2 as a sequel? The new features, or just the fact that it was a great game with awesome gameplay, vibrant art, and catchy music and such? Think about what made the original games great and build upon them in your own unique way--that's the key to a good hack. Hell, that's the key to game design in general! Very simple prospect, but very favorable outcomes. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
  16. Irixion

I try to do that, which is why i dislike people getting rid of originality. I remember in the day when even spindash in S1 was a 'tech' thing...no-a-days it's just a regular thing

17. Hanoch

18. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Tutorials can be useful, but some times certain additions will become common so that it ends up that over 9000 people are using the guide. The spindash is popular, the peelout is a feature people want. Of course, at least this isn't a guide to port Knuckles to Sonic 1 or 2, that's easy, just that if a guide like that or adding Tails' flight would become so popular that hack "originality" is lost. It's like if you've added something that isn't in another hack, then some random guy makes a guide because they did the same and want to share it. Then again some of my reasons back up why some guides and items are best left private. <3

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
  19. Irixion

That's in 07. Long time ago :U.

Here's as I see it:

A guide = something that tells you HOW to achieve your goal.

This = more of a copy paste deal.

I commend him for his work but it doesn't exactly explain things. Still, I'd prefer a guide over a copy and paste. Awesome job on this, but like I said, MORE EXPLAINING.

Sorry for causing all this drama, but all I meant to say is "Why isn't there more of an explanation :|"

Let's not get off topic. Great job on this Selbi, but you need more explaining if you want this to be a better guide(at least for me), which I think you do :p

20. Selbi

More explaining... I understand... Okay, I will try to explain everthing I can in part 3 (maybe in part 1 and 2, too! But for now I'll not touch my Tutorials!). Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.