I need help with LevelConverter (S&KC)

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Lazarus, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Lazarus

Lazarus Newcomer Trialist

I've converted GHZ act 1 into Sonic and Knuckles Collection format, now how exactly do i get the level in the game?

2. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

Well...

You'd have to find the location of the data for the level you want to replace in the SONIC3K.EXE file (probably requires looking through the "disassembly" on Sonic Retro's GitHub in IDA Pro) and use a hex editor to paste it in.

It's much easier to just edit the Megadrive version.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
  3. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

Using LevelConvertor to port levels into S3K is very hard to do, as if their are too few or two many blocks, the game crashes while loading the level. While their are ways to circumnavigate this, they're really annoying and aren't suited for a beginner. Personally, I think you should start with Sonic 2. I've made several hacks, and know basic ASM, but still don't really mess with S3K; it's a vast, complicated game, and the available disassembly for it isn't very self explanatory.

4. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

Pacguy, don't misread him, he's targeting the Sonic & Knuckles Collection for the PC, apparently. Which is something I actually admire, shame to read that it's so hard.

5. Pacca

I can't imagine being any easier then Mega Drive S3K (If anything, it's far, far harder). My point still stands.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory Well-Known Member Member

I have considered making a S&KC Mod Loader in the vein of the SADX Mod Loader, that could make level edits (or any edits really) simpler. Maybe one day I'll actually do it.

7. Lazarus

Lazarus Newcomer Trialist

HOLY YES PLEASE.

8. Pacca

Actually, that sounds like it would be rather nice! I've heard it has a lot of neat features that put it a step above the original S3K, which would make modding it a little more appealing. Of course a Genesis back port would really make my day, but that's probably less likely...