I plan on making a sonic 1 hack.

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by TheWildEstian, Oct 24, 2015.

1. TheWildEstian

TheWildEstian Newcomer Member

So I plan on making a sonic 1 hack and I have an idea. I want to make this hack to be its own thing, not just  trying to make it as good as the original by badly trying to make as good. I want it to be kinda like sonic CD where that game was completely it's own thing but this is the part where I need all of your help.I am still relatively new to this so I need to know what level design choices work and what dose not. I am using SonED2 to edit the level by the way.

2. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

not to sound rude but Instead of saying that you have a plan, just make the thing if you already have an idea of how you want your hack to be as this was pretty much pointless to post and I doubt that anyone else would really care.

3. ProjectFM

ProjectFM Optimistic and self-dependent Member

This is way too vague. Any hack and game is pretty much "it's own thing".

Anyway, here's some stuff on good level design.

4. Clownacy

Clownacy Retired Staff lolololo Member

I'm not sure if ProjectFM's link mentions it, but here's something that's always stuck with me: always design your levels on paper first. Trying to build a level by making it up as you go along using a preset collection of chunks can lead to some blocky, ugly, object-dependant, straight-line or maze-like level design.

Also, pet peeve, but if you really want your hack to be its own thing, and if know how to alter a level's PLCs, it wouldn't hurt to mix up the badnik variety a little. It's a little distracting when your completely unique level has a suspiciously familiar selection of enemies.