I present to you, Sonic Re-utilization project V 4.2

Discussion in 'Discussion and Q&A Archive' started by Mike B Berry, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike B Berry

Mike B Berry A grandiose return Member

Thanks everybody for providing such useful guides for these sonic games. This project features tones of bug fixes and tweaks. Certain circumstances (like the spindash) have not been fully imported, so you will see some jitters when I upload this. Here are some screen shots to fill you in with the progress.

Slightly edited Title Screen... Sonic saps the power from the monitor. (Way faster effects since I lost the animation of the rising power squares that are released from the monitors themselves.) Imported Rev01 graphics engine.

[​IMG][​IMG]

My bands album art, set as the Level select screen. Dynamic loaded palettes within each stage

[​IMG][​IMG]

Even Sonic loads dynamically. I've created the Knuckles Chaotics 32X style revolution of time.

I have started a second pallet line to load when Sonic enters act 3 of Labyrinth. So this act starts a checking routine to see if the stage is SBZ 3. I will change that soon enough.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Stages like SYZ SBZ act 2 and SLZ glitch up if I use SonMapEd to create the palettes. So I do my best to stray away from SonED2 unless It comes to a last effort.

The DAC Samples courtesy of MarkeyJester's topic on how to operate JMan's Uncompressed Z80 driver system. Those DAC samples were a bitch to edit in order to find the right pitch. I'd also like to thank Gardeguey for posting the topic on the level select image code. RedHotSonic for the Dynamic palette loading guide. and Cinossue for adiition threads I read when I joined Sonic retro half a year ago. If you would like to download the rom to see for yourself I'll link it here and on the repository pages.

The next release will be made when people suggest ways to improve: The palette, abilities, sprites, and or events.

Sonic 1 Reutilization project.rar

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012
  2. Arctiq

Arctiq OBJECTION! I WILL CROSS EXAMINE THE WITNESS' PET P Member

Looks all right :) I'll play it when I actually have time (when I'm not working on my own hack :p) I love what you did with the color in the LBZ!

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Generally speaking, I was quite disappointed when looking at those screenshots, and well, I wasn't intending on even bothering, but ayla mentioned something that looked kinda neat in the irc channel, so I took a bite at it.

While I'm not too fond of some of the palette choices, there were a few things I actually liked, for example, the waiting animation, having him sneeze was pretty cool, and the few things that made the game a lot more realistic like the slow cloud moving and the ring spawn direction/speeds, they gave off a more natural feel, I quite liked that, and the colour changing per level is kind of overused, but neat that you threw it in.

The rest though is sort of odd or just doesn't seem to look ok, like the peelout sprites seem too far in the ground and are offputting, the speed of Sonic seems a bit unreasonable too, I actually died in GHZ act 1 for moving too fast down the double S-bend chunks because I hit the bottom of the screen, there's a lot of work to be done, and I wouldn't consider this to be of too much interest, but those minor gimmicks and changes you've thrown in are definately stuff I like seeing, they're different...

Good luck with your project.

4. Mike B Berry

For a first release, yes. I still thank you MarkeyJester. If there is a guide to fix the camera movement in GHZ; So I can get past the S loop at a speed past $700, I'll look up for it. But still I'f I could get pointers on how to make this better, please speak if you can.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
  5. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Add_Spin_Dash_to_Sonic_1/Part_1

http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Add_Spin_Dash_to_Sonic_1/Part_2

http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Add_Spin_Dash_to_Sonic_1/Part_3

http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Add_Spin_Dash_to_Sonic_1/Part_4

6. Mike B Berry

Is there anything else I can do to make this hack any better? I am desperate to know because I have started to vamp the art to a better quality. The Title Screen is the only thing that is done. But If you have anything else, it would be very kind of you to post.

7. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Keep it clean, make sure nothing looks odd or out of place, that's how most other people tend to lose my interest, don't make the same mistake...

Please?!?!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2012
  8. Mike B Berry

In the next revision I would like to point out that LBZ act 3 features a reddend labyrinth zone, and has an obvious set of reddened water. Red Hot Sonic is not an actual character used in the game, and was not really intended to be a cameo in the game, but it has turned out to be so. I have no intention to put the actual RHS fan character into my hack unless Red Hot Sonic helped out in the hack and wanted him in. Also, there are a few small bugs that are present.

Note, the credits list has no characters present, that is becase I suck at the placement. It will be done in the future

The GHZ loop: still present since I destroyed the spindash code.

Jump dash lockings: every now and then, Sonic will dash and the screen will bring up the illegal instruction code. just press the corresponding button to deactivate it and the lives counter will bug up, other than that, it causes nothing else to happen.

As far as know it happens only in GHZ and Labyrinth.

SBZ act 3 has no offical layout. I have decided to revamp that stages art, without touching the LZ art it'self.

Sonic's running sprites are too far in the ground, SonMapED is bitching at me and I can't figure out why the running sprites are set up differently than the others.

here are the images.

This is the new Title Screen shot.

[​IMG]

The new level select image. Sonic 4 with the normal Sonic 1 feeling.

[​IMG]

This shows both the bug explained earlier with the jump dash and the new palette I'm using for act 2 of GHZ

[​IMG]

Act 3's palette

[​IMG]

Labyrinth Act 2's palette lines for both above and underwater

[​IMG]

The Red Hot Sonic Tribute

[​IMG]

Marble Zone act 2's palette

[​IMG]

act 3's palette: This is the place holder palette

[​IMG]

The other bug, with LBZ act 3. Palettes are screwed up on Sonic, and random objects are everywhere.

[​IMG]

I don't have an account to upload my roms anymore. So no download just yet, any places I could go without resoting to pay for a full membership staus with unlimited downloading?

EDIT: Forget my dumbass sentance above I forgot anout the attatchment section. Anyway here you are

Sonic Re-utiliation v4.5.rar

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
  9. Mike B Berry

Thanks to Nineko, I have differences in the music. Until a major update is made, no releases will be made.

10. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

I think that's an excellent choice. I've found it's always best to make sure each update adds major differences and is well-rounded. I tried releasing a tentative proof-of-concept a few years back and people reamed it for having tons of bugs and errors when I was only asking for input on the proof-of-concept itself (which was done solely in hex to a sonic 2 rom).

11. Mike B Berry

Though I'm surprised that RedHotSonic hasn't posted on behalf of the labyrinth zone act 3 water pallet. But thanks.

The music choice however, is a mix from other games, so the style is very weird. One minuet it's a song from Gunstar Heroes, next one plays from S3K, and another plays from Sonic advance. But in time, I will take the time to choose only one style f music.

I would also like to know if the C_GHZ.bin file could be duplicated to show more than just one water effect for each stage? It pisses me off to enter a dark level with plain bright water animations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  12. Ayla

Ayla Sonic Hacking Contest Founder & Commentator Member

I don't know much about Sonic 1's architecture, but it should be possible to display more than one effect like how I believe you're describing. I'm not sure if it would be done the way you're talking about, though. I'd personally create new effects that executed from a separate subroutine which, in itself, activated when the game checked for display of LZ style "ripples" in a particular level slot.

This would allow you to have just that one effect for w/e levels are just using the classic effect while providing a combination of the two for the ones combining the two. If I knew more about what exactly you were asking or how Sonic 1 worked, I'd try to be more specific.

13. Mike B Berry

The problem with that is that it'd use up my ram space.

14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Such a thing would only require 1 bit of memory, considering how much free space is left, it is not likely to cause you issues in the future, I could understand something along the lines of about 20 odd bytes, but a singular bit deciphering a major gameplay choice is not something you should worry about.

Experiement more! Go mad! Make mistakes and learn from them!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
  15. Mike B Berry

alright, the dirt will be rubbed on the wounds for the future. And maybe i'll add in that back-porting of Supersonic and swap those sprites with my Sonic 2 hack's sprites... Turbo SuperSonic reutilization will be my next big time effort.

16. Mike B Berry

Alright, after a few bug fixes and tweaks, I think this rom is ready for an update: http://www.mediafire.com/?b741x1bqa9r192i .

Fixed:

The monitor glitch has been fixed. (Had to switch everything back)

The credits glitch that sends Sonic to GHZ has been fixed.

The hidden monitors in SBZ have been replaced with weird-nik collision boxes.

Fixed certain pallets in the game.

The Jump Dash has been removed due to complications.

Additions:

Added the badniks in GHZ that are seen in ESE ESEII have been added into my hack on the foreground.

Very basic SRAM readings (It is very glitchy.)

Extra music slots (These are placeholders only.)

More animation variations (the waiting animation alone.)

Glitches still present:

The cut-scene for SBZ act 2 is broken.

The LZ drowning bugs are still present (All of them)

That's all that I noticed so far.

All of the people that aided me in the hack so far.

Thanks to:

MarkeyJester

RedHotSonic

SuperEgg

Selbi

SonicMaster

AnimeMaster

Vladik(Comper)

Cinossu

Gardeguey

For your help. Please notice that that the credit list after Labyrinth zone demo; has the Special Thanks list. As of now, the rest of the credits list hasn't been constructed.

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester ♡ ! Member

Wasn't off to a good start, I had my speaker on full blast and had just turned them on as the SEGA screen came in, I think I shat a brick. I'm not fond of the fact that Sonic stops in mid-air when hitting an enemy, that kinda threw me off in act 2 when I wanted to get across the spike pits near the middle. I noticed Sonic saying ouch when getting hurt and dying, that's cool, and I do like the new signpost at the end of the level, the way it's cut like that, now that, is something new already, and it looks decent, well done!

I think your Spring Yard Zone time of day palette is messed up, in act 1, the level had a dark palette but Sonic didn't, in act 3, it was reversed, and in act 2, it was normal, I'm guessing that's wrong?

There's nothing more I can say, nothing much else is done, I'm pleased that you've kept it clean and organised though, nothing seems obviously glitchy, cool stuffs.

18. redhotsonic

redhotsonic Also known as RHS Member

Only just noticed this topic. Anyway.... um... cool? Nice to see a tribute; what did I do to deserve something like this? :)

It could improve. Although my palette skills aren't the best.

EDIT: Played the game. I also do not like that you x_vel stops when you kill a badnik.

I can't help but notice there is too much gravity pulling on the scattered rings? Especially in water.

You also need to kill Sonic's trail when dead. I was going so fast and fell to the bottom of the screen in GHZ2 (the pits bit) and when Sonic was dying, there was multiples of him in his death animation (not moving, only the real Sonic was moving). Here's a shot:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  19. Mike B Berry

As for the Sega chant... I was importing a sound effect of me screaming. Of course that wasn't the best sound effect I could make or compose. But Everything else sounds like shit. This can work out as a place holder. Future sound effects will be used because I have my own team to help out with a new chant to replace the old one.

Yes MarkeyJester, I have rose the badniks that are seen in the ground in GHZ through ESEII and put them back on the main Foreground layer

The Spring yard pallet was messed up, but I was working with a friend giving ideas in the stages and never realized that I could've started with another pallet. I'm glad you spotted this too. It looks like shit.

That cameo wasn't set there on purpose. But I thought to my self, 'Maybe since the water is red... why not? This could be a cameo or a remembrance to/of RHS because there would be another color of water that I could use, but there is but it looks wrong both wrong and odd.

In the next revision I will restore his x_velocity with no issues. It was on the count of the deletion of the jump dash code (Provided by Selbi)

I'll need to look more into the gravity of the ring scatter code and add a check for when the subroutine occurs underwater.That way I can shift the gravity.

The Sonic trail will also be removed with no issue for the next release

But I like what everyone has said/noticed so far, and I will not displease any of you for the next revision. And thanks again everyone who has provided and, or given information for some of the codes.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  20. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member Member

Your rom crashes as soon as you press start on the title screen in Kega...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.