IRC?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback Archive' started by SonicVaan, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

Yeah, I wanted to join the SSRG IRC server, but it failed.

Code:
    ===	*** Looking up your hostname

===	*** Found your hostname, cached

===	*** Checking your IP against DNS ban lists

===	*** Checking Ident

===	*** DNS ban list check failed

===	*** No ident response

===	<<My mask>> Found On NJABL. For more information go to [url="http://njabl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.cgi?query=213.168.123.30"]http://njabl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.cgi?query=213.168.123.30[/url]

===	If you have an account with %s services then you can bypass the dnsbl ban by logging in like this: (where Account is your account name and Password is your password.

===	Type 002/QUOTE PASS NickServ Account :Password002 to connect

===	SonicVaan Register first.

===	Your client may not be compatible with this server.

What?

2. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Seems that you got hit with a proxy filter, one of voice's things which has affected a lot of people.

3. SonicVaan

SonicVaan I'm a cyberpunk with a taste for guns Member

Is there a way to fix that, or have I to wait?

4. Tongara

Tongara Well-Known Member Exiled

Voice needs to stop fucking around.

5. amphobius

amphobius spreader of the pink text Member

This.

6. voice

voice Well-Known Member Member

Your host was found on a DNSBL, DNS Block List. According to NJABL's lookup script your IP was detected as being a Open Proxy, Open Proxies can be, and have been, used to circumvent bans, both the network type (G-line, K-line) and channel bans.

I began using DNSBL checks because people were using proxies on SSRG to get around bans, if you want to be pissy and blame someone blame them. That does not mean that all hope is lost for you, as I said I checked your IP on NJABL's lookup page and I have noticed that this entry is extremely outdated which to me means the people aren't maintaining their list properly, so I will be removing that particular DNSBL lookup (the IRCD does several)

I would like to take this time to remind people that you can have the IRCD skip it's DNSBL checks on your address if you have an account with NickServ by using login-on-connect, to do this you would set the server password field in your client to /account/password.

Also, the IRCD aslo supports DNSBL check exemptions if a IRCop such as myself or Qjimbo tells it to, all we need is your IP. I know I haven't been online the past few days but I was out-of-state and while I did have my laptop with me I wasn't able to connect to my BNC which made IRC useless for me.

As for me "fucking around", no one is twisting your arm making you join the irc network, I'd just like to point that out :)

7. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

You installed it, not anyone else.

8. snkenjoi

snkenjoi Well-Known Member Member

HEY GUYS BLAME ME FOR SOMETHING VOICE DID.

9. iojnekns

iojnekns OBAMA '012!!!!1!!!!!&#33 Member

Dude, there are like, 20 people in #ssrg tops. You've got a SWAT tem defending a hot dog stand. You're now actively preventing regular users from connecting to a channel with an already anorexic userlist? Who the hell is G-lined that is so important, that you'd rather stop regular members joining the chanel than allow them a possibility of being able to bandodge? Talk about stupid priorities. Its already next to impossible to get a command to do anything on that infernal network as it is, you've screwed it down so tight most of the ops can't do anything. If it were a channel that regularly average 75 users, sure this would be appropriate, but you're lucky to get 25.

EDIT: 25 is extremely generous. More like 11 users.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2009
  10. Tongara

Voice needs to stop fucking around.

11. voice

Like I said earlier, no one is forcing anyone to go to the IRC network. If you don't like it then don't go there, I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for you guys to grasp.

Yes, the measures in place now are probably extreme to a few of you, however I have been toning it down as problems crop up that have been preventing legitimate users from accessing the network. Let's just say I'm still in the fine tuning stage of this. Now, I've noticed SOTI has said that this has been preventing plenty of people from connecting, but as far as I know at this point in time only Wetflame, who you guys didn't give a shit about anyways, and SonicVaan have had issues connecting to the network due to the DNSBLs, if there are others I can't exactly help them if they're not speaking up about it, I am sure as hell not going to start using tcpdump on a production network interface to find people getting blocked.

SonicVaan did the right thing by bringing up the issue so I could fix the problem, the rest of you aren't helping one bit.

EDIT:

Care to give me an example so I can look into it?

12. Entia

Entia FUCK Member

Why have a proxy filter when everyone ever has a dynamic IP anyway.

13. voice

I've seen maybe 4 ISPs connecting to the IRC network using dynamic IPs. Also, DNSBL's are not proxy filters, they are a list of IPs that have been known to be hosting a variety of things most IRC network do not wish to permit on their networks, such as open proxies, trojans, botnets, the IRCD takes your IP, gives it to the DNSBL servers who check to see if it is in their list and reports back, the response can be either a non-match or a response code such as 127.0.0.2, lets say in this case .2 = Open Proxy, thats something we don't need connecting to the network so the IRCD has been configured to reject clients if a .2 response is seen.

Now while the IRC network has not been hit up by trojans a while back when it was SonicIRC it did get hit up by a 420chan botnet flood which probably could have been prevented if a DNSBL had been in use at the time. Instead I just got to learn how to do Regex G-lines. :)

14. iojnekns

Well, no, but no-one is forcing people to join this forum either. Once you have joined and think it might be quite nice to chat in real time - you find you can't connect, complain that you can't connect, and your response is "no-one is forcing you to connect." That doesn't even make sense! Their complaint has nothing to do with being forced to go to the IRC. Their complaint is that they can't get on!

As for an example, well, I think its largely to do with my being used to other networks, but the commands delivered with ./ or whatever are annoying/obscure and are to displayed to the whole channel so they can mock you when nothing at all happens, makes doing things discreetly impossible and anything you try and do gets undone immediately by this X3 bastard even if you're an op.

EDIT: For the record, I dont really care either way. I'm just arguing because it seems absurd to be allowing one of the 5 people that actually want to join your network to be excluded.

15. voice

As you can see by my posts I am addressing the issue, and as I look in the channel right now I see that SonicVaan is now able to access the IRC network. My stance with regards to "no one is forcing your to connect" is that if all you're going to do is complain and not even try to help me help you by giving information relevant to your problem, then go elsewhere, my comment wasn't really directed to SonicVaan but the people not helping the situation and just complaining in general in this topic.

As for X3 commands, X3 supports the chanserv style /msg x3 #channel command syntax, the IRCD also allows for the standard /kick /mode /topic, ect commands. Don't think you're the only one to have X3 do nothing or do an unexpected result when you're doing something, I've had plenty of X3 commands misfire on me, one in an epic way. As for X3 undoing anything, I have changed it's enforcement options for modes, op'ings, and topic changes, this should not be a problem anymore however if it continues to be let me know so I can kick the bot around some more.

16. iojnekns

Awesome.

17. Tongara

Yeah, so Voice needs to stop fucking around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.