Issue concerning account status

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback Archive' started by Blazerken, May 13, 2015.

1. Blazerken

Blazerken Newcomer Trialist

While I understand that the forums just gotten upgraded and everything is not exactly completed, I temporarily had to make another account [this is Blazer by the way]. Not sure if this is part of it still being completed but every time I try to login into my actual account, I get an error saying that it was incorrect or rather that it kept saying that the username did not belong to any account. plus I also noticed that in all of the posts and/or topics I created, it has me labeled as a guest user as well as being considered a lurker. not sure if anyone else is also experiencing this as well on their own accounts and again im not sure if this has something to do with the upgrade itself or not but I just figured that I felt that this should be informed as again this account is only temporary.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2015
  2. Devon

Devon I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Member

Are you logging in using your latest account name? If not, that's the problem.

3. โบวี่

โบวี่ Tsingtao Enjoyer Member

Yeah, I used to log in as "TMortonBlitz" which was my name at registration, but after the update I had to put in "Bakayote".

4. Blazerken

I tried doing that and im still getting the same error. I don't understand why it's not working for me.

5. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

It seems that the ability to edit usernames post registration is also gone; this issue seems like it could make reimplementing that feature a lot harder (if at all) :(

EDIT: Nevermind, this layout is way too different, everything is hard to find now...

6. โบวี่

โบวี่ Tsingtao Enjoyer Member

No, the abilities to change your username are still there. Go to your account settings, then on the "Display Name" tab.

7. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha RIGHT! Naebody move! Root Admin

It appears you have two separate accounts (not including the account you created to report this issue). One named Blazefirelp which is in the Member group, and the other Blazefirelp_ which is in the Trialist group (I don't know why that happened, but can be rectified). Both accounts were created a month apart, with the trialist account being the oldest, and they both share the same IP.

This may be have happened due to a choice I had to make during the upgrade process. Invision have dropped support for user names in ICS, and so I had to make a choice between which of the account name options in IPB 3.4 would be the new singular display name in ICS 4.0. I choose the display names. I should have mentioned in the post I made after putting the forums back online that user names would no longer work, I appologise for that. At the time I was tired as fuck, and just wanted to crawl into bed. The entire upgrade took over 5 hours, something I didn't expect.

Anyway, your account issue can be rectified by merging all three of your accounts into one. Which account do you want to keep?

8. Blazerken

Strange how it thinks that I'm this blazefirelp person which I never used that name before as that actually used to belong to someone already back on the old boards. It must have mistaken me for him as my display name was just Blazer by itself.

edit: Just did a member search to make sure and my original account is no where to be found at all.

9. Spanner

Spanner The Tool Member

Blazefirelp is a different person entirely.

10. OrdosAlpha

Ah, I thought he was Blazefire. My bad.

Could you please link to posts made by your other account(s), Blazer.

11. OrdosAlpha

OK, it appears your account was deleted during the upgrade. Why this happened, I'm not 100% sure. I managed to ID you, correctly this time. I didn't recognize you as Blazer, I knew you as Xero. Anyway, I've manually re-created your old account the best I can in MySQL from the pre-upgrade database, and it seems your posts have all paired to it. Try logging into it, using Blazer as the display name and the password you originally had. If you have any issues, then just send me a PM using your newer account. If you login successfully, then please take the time to re-do some of your settings, as I had to randomly make some up based on info used on my various accounts.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  12. Blazerken

I kinda figured that's what happened, though it kinda sucks that the upgrade would just out right delete it like that. Well knowing now that all of my old posts/threads can be redirected to this account (if you are able to that is as you said), I suppose it won't be so bad. And seeing as you need an example of a post I made on my old account, I'll just use this one for now as it was one I started before

13. nineko

nineko I am the Holy Cat Member

I am fairly good with SQL, and I already got my hands dirty with similar tasks in the past (see Sonic Retro Shibunoa incident). Sadly, by the looks of Blazer's "guest" post it doesn't look like it has any recognisable traits which could be used in the "where" statement of the query. One might argue that with guest posting disabled there would be a low number of false positives which aren't posted by Blazer if all guest posts are selected, though it should be verified. Either way, if you need SQL help, feel free to contact me.

edit: a possible query with a low number of false positives might be "all guests posts made after Blazer joined the forum", unless other people's accounts shared his same faith, of course. Also, I'm saying all this without looking at the raw data, it might be possible to use other fields such as ip or user agent to pinpoint Blazer's posts.

14. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus The Railgun Member

Academy City
    I might be able to lend a hand as well. My MySQL knowledge is a bit rusty, but I could probably re-acquaint myself and unravel things. With any luck, the posts themselves still have fields attached to them that could help undo the swallowed account, though there's no telling without seeing the DB firsthand. I've also got a couple of other MySQL guys I can pull from if needed, so there's that.

15. OrdosAlpha

I managed to get his account back. Manually re-created it using data extracted from the pre-upgrade database. Whether it works or not, I don't know. He'll need to try logging into it. All I know is it appears in the ACP and his posts are no longer tagged as being from a Guest.

@Blazerkern: I edited my above post. Read it for more info.

16. M.N.K.

M.N.K. In the River of Darkness... Member

Ok it seems to be working again. thank you and I'll be sure to inform you if I find any other issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  17. OrdosAlpha

It seems not all posts and threads have been credited back to you. I'll need to go through the databases, and manually re-tag them based on the post ID numbers. Unless I can find a way to do it using queries. I'll look into that over the coming days, or maybe weeks. It'll just take time. I'll probably do so many each day.

18. nineko

As I mentioned, you might be able to perform a query on them using his IP or his user_agent as "where" parameter, given that no other field contains better informations.

19. nineko

Sorry for the double post, but I realised there's a much better way to do this, without any false positives at all. You mentioned you have a backup of the old posts, you can run a query over that to retrieve a list of post IDs. First of all, you should import the old table in the new database, with a different name (e.g. posts_old). Then you can get away with a nested query. I don't know the structure of the IPB tables, so this is pseudo-SQL code:

Code:
    UPDATE posts_new_table SET user_id = (blazer's new ID) WHERE post_id in (SELECT post_id FROM posts_old_table WHERE user_id = (blazer's old ID))
    Of course I can't know if there are other differences between guest posts and user posts without looking at the actual tables, but this is a start. Also wow, I had to edit this message like 7 times before it recognised my edits, how retarted can this board software be? Is it too late to rollback?

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015
  20. Pacca

Pacca Having an online identity crisis since 2019 Member

While entertaining myself with the piles of ancient conversations SSRG has in store, I found one of Blazers disconnected "Guest" posts in this thread.

Hope this helps :3

EDIT: Oh okay... I'm not sure how this works, so...

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015